British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Beedubya Jan 20th 2011 9:15 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Lothianlad (Post 9116823)
I'm sorry you don't like this, dear poster. It was the British people at large who partook in that survey of British accents, so the blame for your obvious hissy fit lies entirely with them! :D

It was probably British toffs!!!

Have they never listened to our Cilla and Paul O'Grady, we talks luvly we does!! :lol:

Mummy in the foothills Jan 20th 2011 10:16 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9116589)
I've wondered that - I think they might just be racist Brits who left 'because of all the immigrants'.

That one always make me :rofl: What do they think they are if they move to another country :confused:

beachgal21 Jan 21st 2011 2:59 am

I've just watched Hattie a docu-drama about Hattie Jacques on BBC iPlayer. What a real treat and well worth watching :thumbup:

aviva Jan 21st 2011 3:24 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9116826)
OMG this Steve Erwin part of the Oprah show is breaking my heart..I really liked him, and was very sad when he died. What great kids he has..:)

Saw that, quite the tear jerker!

Celticspirit Jan 21st 2011 3:24 am

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9117411)
I've just watched Hattie a docu-drama about Hattie Jacques on BBC iPlayer. What a real treat and well worth watching :thumbup:

She was brilliant......I don't even know if she is still alive.....i have been gone too long.

aviva Jan 21st 2011 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9117455)
She was brilliant......I don't even know if she is still alive.....i have been gone too long.

Who was/or is she? I'm so un-British I wouldn't know a good cup of tea if it slapped me.

fish.01 Jan 21st 2011 6:20 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9116581)
Wow, I just read that thread and I'm shocked. I feel like I just went back to 1960s Britain. Are those people representative of race attitudes in Australia? If so, I wouldn't last long there.

Aviva, you won't experience that in the UK. But you will get sick of miserable people asking 'why did you want to come back to this dump?' That's the British way and they have no idea how good they have it.

"you won't experience that in the UK."....I am totally confused....most of the posters on the thread are British :confused:

fish.01 Jan 21st 2011 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9116719)
That is interesting.

My Mum is very far from being 'politically correct', however when she visited Australia to meet up with some long-lost relatives she was very shocked by their attitudes, and believe me that's saying something.

"that's saying something" about her relatives...

dgjamison Jan 21st 2011 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9117455)

I really loved her too, but then I loved the comedy back then, so much better than today, yes she died, I don't remember when I think I was in Canada when she died, when was the show on? I really wanted to see it, am so disappointed if I missed it. :( She was most famous for her role as the very stern matron, in the carry on films, and also with Eric Sykes in a comedy, but can't remember the name, anyone remember? I loved the UK then too, it was just the place to be and where it was all happening, I know there were down sides and it was no utopia, but it lead the way then, and everyone wanted to be there it had great neighbourhoods, and people cared for each other then no real living up to the jones, but I think that was the start of it unfortunately, and we lost the plot:blink::thumbsup: Denise2

beachgal21 Jan 21st 2011 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 9118320)
I really loved her too, but then I loved the comedy back then, so much better than today, yes she died, I don't remember when I think I was in Canada when she died, when was the show on? I really wanted to see it, am so disappointed if I missed it. :( She was most famous for her role as the very stern matron, in the carry on films, and also with Eric Sykes in a comedy, but can't remember the name, anyone remember? I loved the UK then too, it was just the place to be and where it was all happening, I know there were down sides and it was no utopia, but it lead the way then, and everyone wanted to be there it had great neighbourhoods, and people cared for each other then no real living up to the jones, but I think that was the start of it unfortunately, and we lost the plot:blink::thumbsup: Denise2

Hi Denise, I think the program is still available to watch on BBC iPlayer, just put Hattie in the search box and it should come up. I think the program with Eric Sykes was just called Sykes.

I agree, comedy like the Carry On films, Porridge, Morecombe and Wise were all excellent. But some of the more recent stuff is great too .... Clatterford, Ab Fab, Vicar of Dibley, Little Britain. The UK might have crap weather and lots of other problems, but the British sense of humor is priceless :D

dgjamison Jan 21st 2011 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9118362)
Hi Denise, I think the program is still available to watch on BBC iPlayer, just put Hattie in the search box and it should come up. I think the program with Eric Sykes was just called Sykes.

I agree, comedy like the Carry On films, Porridge, Morecombe and Wise were all excellent. But some of the more recent stuff is great too .... Clatterford, Ab Fab, Vicar of Dibley, Little Britain. The UK might have crap weather and lots of other problems, but the British sense of humor is priceless :D

I will try that, and I agree with you with some of the new comedys, just adored the vicar of dibley, the alternative comedy is awful imo, and of course one of the great british classics of all time Only Fools and Horses, we watched reruns the other day, and it is just priceless, and good honest fun, not cheap and tacky Denise2;)

sallysimmons Jan 21st 2011 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by fish.01 (Post 9117672)
"you won't experience that in the UK."....I am totally confused....most of the posters on the thread are British :confused:

You misunderstood. The thread is about an incident where a bunch of Australians were rude to an American, supposedly just because he's American. aviva asked if that's a common occurrence in the UK. I said no.

Hope that helps.

sallysimmons Jan 21st 2011 3:13 pm

I like Liverpudlian accents so there!

Bet it was a bunch of southerners who did most of the voting in that poll :p

sallysimmons Jan 21st 2011 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 9118384)
I will try that, and I agree with you with some of the new comedys, just adored the vicar of dibley, the alternative comedy is awful imo, and of course one of the great british classics of all time Only Fools and Horses, we watched reruns the other day, and it is just priceless, and good honest fun, not cheap and tacky Denise2;)

Variety is the spice of life. I'm a huge fan of modern British comedy but can't stand those sitcoms like Vicar of Dibley. My husband calls them 'where are my trousers vicar?' shows :lol:

My favorite UK comedian at the moment is David Mitchell. Here he is telling Americans how to speak. Too funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Peter Kay, Rob Brydon, Steve Coogan, Jimmy Carr, Johnny Vegas, Ricky Gervais ... there are so many great English comedians I've discovered watching UK TV shows. I do still like the old school first wave alternative comedians - Jo Brand, Dawn French etc but the new guys are great too.

Sally Redux Jan 21st 2011 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9118586)
Variety is the spice of life. I'm a huge fan of modern British comedy but can't stand those sitcoms like Vicar of Dibley. My husband calls them 'where are my trousers vicar?' shows :lol:

:lol: I don't like those either.