British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Tanto Dec 28th 2010 7:09 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9063027)
Hey Cheers. It doesn't work that way. The Internet isn't slow for everyone at the same time. It's a series of lots of different connections, and they're different for every one of us. Think of it like roads all leading to a major city. You take one road and hit no traffic, but I choose a different route and there's an accident and suddenly I'm slowed down.

That's what's happened to your Internet connection today - but none of us share the same connection so none of us have a slow down.

If you ever experience a real slow Internet connection, the best thing is to reboot your modem or router. When you turn it on again, it might take a different route and you'll find it is faster again. Or just wait and the broken server will be fixed, wherever it is.

I read this after I'd written a reply to Cheers. Thanks for the explanation, Sally. Hope you've recovered from your snow clearing episode.

DDL Dec 28th 2010 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9062806)
What tea do you drink Denise?

I found it a wee bit hard to find "my" preferred tea in the UK as I have lived here so long. When I am in the money I drink Twining's English or Irish Breakfast tea, but at the moment I am drinking Dilmah which is from Ceylon. Is there a Brit equivalent as I found PG tips, etc a bit strong for my palate.

Barb, I'm a PG girl, but recently we've been making a special point to pop into Waitrose to purchase Williamson's Traditional Afternoon Tea. It is gorgeous.

I'm almost certain that Dilmah is sold here in the UK, but if not you will be able to find plenty of Ceylon teas. I love Ceylon but for more of an afternoon tea than a breakfast tea (which traditionally will contain Assam). Next time we're at Tesco, I'll check the tea aisle and see if they carry Dilmah.

Ceylon tea and egg mayonnaise [sandwich] are an excellent pairing, by the way. (Tea and food can be paired just as wine and food can be paired.)

J.J Dec 28th 2010 9:59 am

Originally Posted by charleygirl (Post 9062852)
JJ how was christmas for you back home,.......not jealous or anything of course!

I thought hard how to describe it, best one word I can come up with is 'connected'. meaning that we felt part of it rather than outside it.
Christmas Eve we walked to local pub, pub was full, surprising to have little kids in there with there parents. We chatted to strangers, although one recognized me from my walks round the village, we we are beginning to build relationships.
We spent Christmas day at BIL with Johns parents, DDL's dinner plate photo would sum up ours too, including the ready-made Yorkshire. Then we sat and watched telly and had a late cold meats supper. They all live about 1 hour drive from us (Spalding) so we drove over and were taxi for parents to BIL while he cooked.
Travel was fine here in Norfolk/Lincs, roads had black ice but the journey was 10 mins less this time because of no tractors or lorries out on Christmas morning. We came back at night, didn't stay over.
Then Boxing Day we walked to the pub to see Morris Dancers and have a couple beers, pub was chock-a-block. I am so grateful for the no-smoking law.
Now we been invited back over to Johns parents to help finish off the left-overs.
Add to this the carol service in the preceding week and it all feels 'connected', which it never did when we were away.

DDL Dec 28th 2010 10:01 am

Sally S. - I was just looking through all my old Facebook photos and I found some piccies I took of my first attempt at making Cornish Pasties (when I was living in the States), kind of a "step-by-step" photo montage. :)

Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...6&id=551029124

Beedubya Dec 28th 2010 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9063551)
Barb, I'm a PG girl, but recently we've been making a special point to pop into Waitrose to purchase Williamson's Traditional Afternoon Tea. It is gorgeous.

I'm almost certain that Dilmah is sold here in the UK, but if not you will be able to find plenty of Ceylon teas. I love Ceylon but for more of an afternoon tea than a breakfast tea (which traditionally will contain Assam). Next time we're at Tesco, I'll check the tea aisle and see if they carry Dilmah.

Ceylon tea and egg mayonnaise [sandwich] are an excellent pairing, by the way. (Tea and food can be paired just as wine and food can be paired.)

Thanks Denise, I knew YOU would know. :lol:

Beedubya Dec 28th 2010 7:25 pm

JJ loved that word "connection" that is exactly how I feel when I go back to the UK, here I feel disconnected and detached, oh I am soooo looking forward to that feeling of connection again.

Talking of Morris Dancers, on that Freddie Starr special I watched he has these big boxers and other hunky men doing Morris dancing, it was so funny. :)

DDL Those pasties look almost as good as Gregg's. :lol:

Hope everybody else is having a good last few days of this year before we head into January 2011. How time flies, even when you are not having fun............:sneaky:

windsong Dec 28th 2010 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tanto (Post 9063336)
Hi Cheers,
I think you can get travel health insurance when you leave the UK - friends did that and it's not expensive. Yes, I had noticed that the internet was slow and not connecting immediately a couple of days ago and a friend in Philly mentioned it too.......
What does it mean?!!
Going back to tea for a minute - I bought some Tetley 'British Blend' tea bags from the supermarket here (LA) - they were about $4 for 80. It's quite palatable, I think!

I was in the local grocery store today and, lo and behold, I saw something there I have never seen them stock before - PG Tips teabags! I grabbed two boxes lol! I came home, made a full pot of tea and drank the whole thing by myself lol! They must have picked up my vibes recently :)

ldyinlv Dec 29th 2010 12:03 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9064668)
I was in the local grocery store today and, lo and behold, I saw something there I have never seen them stock before - PG Tips teabags! I grabbed two boxes lol! I came home, made a full pot of tea and drank the whole thing by myself lol! They must have picked up my vibes recently :)

You are gonna be wired all night now..lol

windsong Dec 29th 2010 12:03 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9064675)
You are gonna be wired all night now..lol

And I plan to have at least another POT before bedtime! I think I am homesick lol!

windsong Dec 29th 2010 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9064742)
So you'll be here all night keeping us amused :lol:

Mummy, you just may be right! I haven't even had that second pot yet and already my mind is on high speed.

Must put the kettle on now :rofl::rofl:

DDL Dec 29th 2010 1:26 pm

Wawa Dec 29th 2010 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9065629)

:rofl: This is my mantra........

aviva Jan 17th 2011 11:56 pm

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

So here it is - go for it, if you dare!
This is supposedly for the people who got banished from:
OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK
to:
US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread
but we wanted to talk about other rubbish too.

Saaaaaaave me from this time wasting multi-thread craziness and come here to talk about absolutely anything.

SomersetGirl Jan 18th 2011 12:02 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9109167)
So here it is - go for it, if you dare!

You are a STAR:D

Celticspirit Jan 18th 2011 12:06 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl (Post 9109175)
You are a STAR:D

HA-HA-HA.......Brilliant!!!!!!!!