British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Beedubya Jan 18th 2011 7:13 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9111135)
I've got gray hair! Well I have been graying since my late teens so maybe that doesn't count. I am nearly 50 (according to Dh) we'll be 49 this year. I just like child spacing, we have a 22 17 and 6 year olds. :lol: Oldest is there already, 17 year old can't wait and want to be a British Policeman, (like my late step father, the only grandad he's known) 6 year old has no clue, she just wants to have fun. and see grandma fingers crossed we go in 2012. Ds has to graduate high school first. and we have a house to sell. and no where else to live.

Wow that is some child spacing!! Grey hair? I have none, it is very well looked after by my hairdresser LOL!!

Sounds like a good plan Pauline, which part of the UK will you be wanting to live?

sallysimmons Jan 18th 2011 7:30 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl (Post 9111025)
Sally, our situation has some similarities to yours in that we've been away for 30 years, no kids and most of the time neither of us have been homesick, even though we had been back for family visits many times. Its only fairly recently that I've been thinking about going back and my husband was never all that interested, so I didn't push it.

But you know, when we went back again last year and a) had gorgeous weather b) a wonderful time walking and driving around the countryside etc. and c) the combination of the exchange rate and cost of buying a house has changed dramatically, that now he too is fully on board (actually I can't believe it):D.

So, maybe you need another visit, especially to a place you might consider moving to, and can afford to live:unsure:

How interesting - it was our trip back last year that convinced him to consider it too. We sound like twins! Money permitting, we're going back again later this year - back to Kendal - and I'm hoping it makes the same great impression. I'll make sure we do lots of fun things!

Great answers everyone. I love reading them but it makes me more homesick if that's possible.

Re: the lambs - a few years ago I visited my mum in Cumbria. We were driving round and admiring all the little lambs. That night when we went out to eat, she ordered lamb. I said "How could you???!!!" Put me right off my veggie lasagne :lol:

Beedubya Jan 18th 2011 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9111202)
How interesting - it was our trip back last year that convinced him to consider it too. We sound like twins! Money permitting, we're going back again later this year - back to Kendal - and I'm hoping it makes the same great impression. I'll make sure we do lots of fun things!

Great answers everyone. I love reading them but it makes me more homesick if that's possible.

Re: the lambs - a few years ago I visited my mum in Cumbria. We were driving round and admiring all the little lambs. That night when we went out to eat, she ordered lamb. I said "How could you???!!!" Put me right off my veggie lasagne :lol:

I had lamb chops last night, I don't put them in the same category as those little black faced cuties. :ohmy:

Mummy in the foothills Jan 18th 2011 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9111162)
Wow that is some child spacing!! Grey hair? I have none, it is very well looked after by my hairdresser LOL!!

Sounds like a good plan Pauline, which part of the UK will you be wanting to live?

Back to North Wales :thumbsup:
Oh yes I'm a cheapskate, I do my own blondness :lol:

ldyinlv Jan 18th 2011 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9111319)
Back to North Wales :thumbsup:
Oh yes I'm a cheapskate, I do my own blondness :lol:

Im watching Oprahs trip to Australia on TV..it really looks nice..I lived there as a child, but cant remember much..:)

Beedubya Jan 18th 2011 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9111369)
Im watching Oprahs trip to Australia on TV..it really looks nice..I lived there as a child, but cant remember much..:)

I make it 7 sleeps for you Jackie, here in the land downunder!!! :thumbsup:

Which thread shall we do your tracking/stalking on? Soooo many now LOL!! :lol:

ldyinlv Jan 18th 2011 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9111379)
I make it 7 sleeps for you Jackie, here in the land downunder!!! :thumbsup:

Which thread shall we do your tracking/stalking on? Soooo many now LOL!! :lol:

I have no idea..I am lost, but my guess would be this one???!!!??lol

ldyinlv Jan 18th 2011 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9111383)
I have no idea..I am lost, but my guess would be this one???!!!??lol

:eek::eek::eek::blink::blink::eek::eek: OMG 7 SLEEPS!!!!

beachgal21 Jan 18th 2011 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9110913)
Good topic Sally :thumbsup:

1) Feeling like the real authentic ME, family, the green fields, the church spires in the distance and other hidden treasures as your eye alights upon ever changing scenery, interesting, historical places to visit and going to places I have only read about, British food but not too much this time. :D Going to a family wedding 2 weeks after I get back. The nearness and cheapness (I hope) to Europe if you need a dose of sunshine.

2) Missing my kids and grand-kids in Australia and feeling guilty like I did last time. Going to the UK with virtually no money, no furniture, no car............starting all over again at 57. :eek:

You're very courageous Bee, what area are you planning on moving to?

aviva Jan 18th 2011 11:08 pm

I was watching Oprah in Australia and it sounds like the ads they have to try to get people from UK to move there. Think they'll have an influx of of US people moving for a better life. Maybe Sarah's people will go:thumbsup:

Celticspirit Jan 19th 2011 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9110931)
I think you are much younger than us Pauline (??) don't feel comfortable calling you Mummy LOL!! :lol:

When do you plan on going back and how do your kids feel about it?

I love that we call her "mummy"....,,,,she is so sensible and has made me quietly cry 'cos she seems to understand when I feel lost.

Celticspirit Jan 19th 2011 2:20 am

The unique smell of Belfast. M&S. The icy ocean where we had our beautiful holiday/weekend home (www.Lurganaryfarms.com). The new owners after
our parents death have let the main house fall into disrepair (due to divorce I understand) my son and his partner stayed there last year in one of the guest cottages and he was deeply affected by the change from his childhood memories.
Weird but I have loved the wet and damp weather after the heat of TX after 38.5 years. I just hope my old bones can handle it:o(

Hate queuing in any lines. They are watching every move to sneak in ahead of one. Don't like the rental apartment furniture......black leather......loud wallpaper. Scary narrow roads with cars parked on both sides. Dog poop on streets...not much really serious....

Celticspirit Jan 19th 2011 2:57 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9111202)

Same when I was in Adelaide in October. We spent a day in a wildlife park.......not a zoo......romping with the Roos.........then met at a fancy restaurant for dinner with the dog club for which I was judging. Several ate kangaroo for dinner. I was completely stunned.

aviva Jan 19th 2011 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9112012)
Same when I was in Adelaide in October. We spent a day in a wildlife park.......not a zoo......romping with the Roos.........then met at a fancy restaurant for dinner with the dog club for which I was judging. Several ate kangaroo for dinner. I was completely stunned.

I'd have started crying! Can't handle eating anything that can look at me. You know I wanted to get a couple of Borzoi when I get back to UK. I've had 10 over the years, do you know if they are readily available there? Sounds as though it costs a fortune to keep though, going by DR's estimate.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 19th 2011 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9111788)
I love that we call her "mummy"....,,,,she is so sensible and has made me quietly cry 'cos she seems to understand when I feel lost.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you cry. :( I feel pretty lost a lot.

I have found an exercise place that makes me feel good, it may keep me sane while we move. I do Zumba OMG I'm moving bits I haven't moved in years :lol:
I just got back from class, after my shower I'm still glowing from the exercise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glexu90pMxo