Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:49 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Oh dear ...I happen to mention the emotional detachment my OH displays towards his kids in order to give people an insight as to why my feelings are pretty much cold towards him these days......and then so many of you then tell me you've all had fathers that were like that growing up and grew up ok from it. I'm sorry for you lot that had dads that could not display outward affection, but I am really glad that you all grew up balanced and were able to give affection towards your own kids (as well as still feel such love for your Dads)

My childhood was filled with lots of open shows of affection, encouragement and "I love you's" and all I wanted was for my own children to experience the same love my sister & I received - no crime in that. I accept that my OH "Is what he is" and that I can't change him....but it doesn't mean I have to like it, or stand by him "because he is made that way". Yes, he had a harder upbringing to me as the last child of 7 kids...his Dad walked out on his mum when she was pregnant with him. They had little money but he was spoilt rotten and allowed to do/say what he wanted because he was his mum's last baby!!

At the time I met him in 1988, he had the worst imbalanced mood swings I'd ever seen in a boyfriend and I constantly question myself what on earth I was doing with a man like that as he was so different from my previous boyfriends. I kept giving him chance upon chance whenever he hurt me so much. By the time we started living together, that's when he became controlling and "handy". I put up with this volatile behaviour until my son was about 2 years old and I expressed with such verbal agression that if he ever laid another hand on me again, I would be out of his life forever and he knew I truly meant it. Hand on heart, since then, he has never hit me, but he can be verbally abusive instead, which the kids are on the receiving end too - my daughter mostly. And I can't stand by and put up with all the verbal bullying against an 11 year old. All this that I've just mentioned here is just a shard of what I've been through in the past 21 years....and I don't want no pats on the back for sticking it out so long because there are 1,000's of women who live true fear with their spouses daily. All I need is a thorough kick up the arse to sort my head out and say the words I've been wanting to say for years now....."I don't love you and I don't want this relationship to continue anymore".

Kind of contradicts my original question now doesn't it? What I should have asked is "Would you stick it out in a country with a man you no longer feel any love for, for the sake of keeping him happy, or for 'keeping the family together'?" Not so long ago, there was a poster on here called Mary1967...she's no longer posts unfortunately...but by god, did that woman have a set of balls!! She took no crap, made her mind up that she was leaving her husband, packed up and left without giving a stuff what people thought of her actions!! I want whatever she was drinking

Cricket1.....just a question to ask you.....I know a lot of us women have a tendancy to blame our fellas for the way our lives have turned to sh!t and don't do anything about it.....but I don't know how to go about walking away with no money, nowhere to go, no vehicle to drive me anywhere to get away, worried about repercussions with OH..etc. I am SCARED of what lies beyond "I want out of this relationship now"

Sorry, bit of a long one again that wasn't it I'll probably regret writing all this by the morning....talk about my life as an open book!!!
Good Night all xx
I think it's fair to say that the real issues have nothing to do with a disagreement over returning to the UK or staying in Australia?

I also think that you've made your decision but that you don't know how to go through with it?

Whatever you choose to do I wish you the best of luck.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:00 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Oh dear ...I happen to mention the emotional detachment my OH displays towards his kids in order to give people an insight as to why my feelings are pretty much cold towards him these days......and then so many of you then tell me you've all had fathers that were like that growing up and grew up ok from it. I'm sorry for you lot that had dads that could not display outward affection, but I am really glad that you all grew up balanced and were able to give affection towards your own kids (as well as still feel such love for your Dads)

My childhood was filled with lots of open shows of affection, encouragement and "I love you's" and all I wanted was for my own children to experience the same love my sister & I received - no crime in that. I accept that my OH "Is what he is" and that I can't change him....but it doesn't mean I have to like it, or stand by him "because he is made that way". Yes, he had a harder upbringing to me as the last child of 7 kids...his Dad walked out on his mum when she was pregnant with him. They had little money but he was spoilt rotten and allowed to do/say what he wanted because he was his mum's last baby!!

At the time I met him in 1988, he had the worst imbalanced mood swings I'd ever seen in a boyfriend and I constantly question myself what on earth I was doing with a man like that as he was so different from my previous boyfriends. I kept giving him chance upon chance whenever he hurt me so much. By the time we started living together, that's when he became controlling and "handy". I put up with this volatile behaviour until my son was about 2 years old and I expressed with such verbal agression that if he ever laid another hand on me again, I would be out of his life forever and he knew I truly meant it. Hand on heart, since then, he has never hit me, but he can be verbally abusive instead, which the kids are on the receiving end too - my daughter mostly. And I can't stand by and put up with all the verbal bullying against an 11 year old. All this that I've just mentioned here is just a shard of what I've been through in the past 21 years....and I don't want no pats on the back for sticking it out so long because there are 1,000's of women who live true fear with their spouses daily. All I need is a thorough kick up the arse to sort my head out and say the words I've been wanting to say for years now....."I don't love you and I don't want this relationship to continue anymore".

Kind of contradicts my original question now doesn't it? What I should have asked is "Would you stick it out in a country with a man you no longer feel any love for, for the sake of keeping him happy, or for 'keeping the family together'?" Not so long ago, there was a poster on here called Mary1967...she's no longer posts unfortunately...but by god, did that woman have a set of balls!! She took no crap, made her mind up that she was leaving her husband, packed up and left without giving a stuff what people thought of her actions!! I want whatever she was drinking

Cricket1.....just a question to ask you.....I know a lot of us women have a tendancy to blame our fellas for the way our lives have turned to sh!t and don't do anything about it.....but I don't know how to go about walking away with no money, nowhere to go, no vehicle to drive me anywhere to get away, worried about repercussions with OH..etc. I am SCARED of what lies beyond "I want out of this relationship now"

Sorry, bit of a long one again that wasn't it I'll probably regret writing all this by the morning....talk about my life as an open book!!!
Good Night all xx

A pat on the back for putting up with it so long??? Are you for real? Woman, you need a slap for putting your kids through it never mind yourself. And you're only sick of it now?
Get off your martyr platform, stop whining and start planning. My father broke my mothers arms in front of me and beat all of us up on a regular basis.
I don't speak to my mother or father for making my life such a misery when I was a child. You knew the guy was a pillock before you married him. Wake up and learn something.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Scrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really nice

Originally Posted by cricket1
A pat on the back for putting up with it so long??? Are you for real? Woman, you need a slap for putting your kids through it never mind yourself. And you're only sick of it now?
Get off your martyr platform, stop whining and start planning. My father broke my mothers arms in front of me and beat all of us up on a regular basis.
I don't speak to my mother or father for making my life such a misery when I was a child. You knew the guy was a pillock before you married him. Wake up and learn something.

Thats a bit nasty isn't it? And it sounds as if ruby's situation is a bit different - breaking someones arms is a bit different from not being outwardly affectionate after all. I've put with a lot in my marriage too, I'm now trying to sort things out and I don't know whether I'll stay or leave at the moment, but one of the things I have learnt while having therapy about the whole situation is that I should never ever punish myself for putting myself in this situation.
ruby, you need to be looking after yourself and promising yourself better, and then ensuring that things change so that they do get better. but don't ever slap yourself or punish yourself for being where youare. you deserve more than that.
the only way you will get your life together is to build up your self respect, not slap it down. leaving a partner takes bucket loads of courage, and for that you need praise and encouragement not slaps and criticism.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Ruby Murray;7160385]Oh dear ...I happen to mention the emotional detachment my OH displays towards his kids in order to give people an insight as to why my feelings are pretty much cold towards him these days......and then so many of you then tell me you've all had fathers that were like that growing up and grew up ok from it. I'm sorry for you lot that had dads that could not display outward affection, but I am really glad that you all grew up balanced and were able to give affection towards your own kids (as well as still feel such love for your Dads)

Never said I grew up okay from it, my childhood was rough to say the least, and I am far from okay now.

My point being, I knew my father cared about me, but growing up in that situation has made me rather cold towards others due to how I was treated. But, I am a work in progress.

I really feel for your kids, as the situation they are in is a very hard one to say the least, and you are in a very hard situation too.

Good luck with whatever you decide, as it sounds very, very difficult for you at the moment.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:07 pm
Banned

Tomatobird is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. You are one nasty, selfish, egocentric piece of work.

I was so shocked at this post I read some more of your ramblings. I do not know how a woman can get to your age and still be so unempathetic to other peoples feelings. The universe does not revolve around you, and not everyone else has shared your pitiful past. I am sure your mother is pretty relieved you dont speak to her. I would be!
I thought this place was for help and support in hard times, not an emotional beat up session for those desperate for help and a shoulder to lean on.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Kick someone when they are down, why don't you

For christ sake woman have some compassion.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Cricket1's post seems to many as very harsh but if you step back and read Ruby's post that she was responding to, you will see what Cricket was telling her what many of us might well be thinking. Ruby has put up with physical, mental, emotional and verbal abuse for what 20 years and only now whats to separate herself and her children from the abuse. Taken in that light, the response was not mean or harsh but very realistic. Sometimes a person needs to be forcible jerk into seeing what is in front of them.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with having sympathy or empathy. It is about being truthful and caring, and is sometimes called "tough love."
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:31 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Cricket1's post seems to many as very harsh but if you step back and read Ruby's post that she was responding to, you will see what Cricket was telling her what many of us might well be thinking. Ruby has put up with physical, mental, emotional and verbal abuse for what 20 years and only now whats to separate herself and her children from the abuse. Taken in that light, the response was not mean or harsh but very realistic. Sometimes a person needs to be forcible jerk into seeing what is in front of them.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with having sympathy or empathy. It is about being truthful and caring, and is sometimes called "tough love."
Spot on and kudus for that! What has been highlighted is that "his issues" have been the cause of the problem for a long time. All I can say is that there are no rewards for being the ever suffering spouse if he is really all to blame for the sad state of affairs.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Belladonna is an unknown quantity at this point

What I should have asked is "Would you stick it out in a country with a man you no longer feel any love for, for the sake of keeping him happy, or for 'keeping the family together'?

I really feel for you in this situation Ruby - I do not think you are being weak at all. Women put themselves through all kinds of contortions to keep their families together, knowing that it is a HUGE deal to break a family up, and always hoping against hope that things will get better. And of course, our society is still organised around the nuclear family, and once you are in one, it can be extremely difficult to extricate yourself and your kids. There are no guarantees you can give your children that you can provide a better life for them, only that it will be a different life. In a foreign country this is all exacerbated, especially if you have not had the time or opportunity to build up a friendship and support circle.
Perhaps one question to ask is "how long must I stick it out?" Is there any end point in sight? Would you know when it had arrived? When your daughter is 18? What if she, by then, wanted to stay in Canada? In all honesty, it is not likely that your husband will change his behaviour, and only you know how much you are prepared to put up with.
I think you have already shown tremendous strength to have stuck in there, doing the best you can by your children. There are no easy answers to this one - just believe that you do possess the strength to take whichever course you decide on, and that support is out there - witness the responses on this forum!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for such a delightful response Cricket.....NOT :curse:
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Rete..I most certainly don't agree with your statement. I know I need some words of encouragement right now, but that was an outrageous attack and for you to allow it as a willy-nilly acceptable response has disappointed me deeply.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Rete..I most certainly don't agree with your statement. I know I need some words of encouragement right now, but that was an outrageous attack and for you to allow it as a willy-nilly acceptable response has disappointed me deeply.
I think if people on this thread are honest, they'll be thinking the same thing but not saying it. Remember, if you post on an open forum, you must be prepared for the responses ... I think people have a lot of sympathy for your situation, Ruby, but it seems as though the issue here is not just one of your husband refusing to go back to the UK, but that there are large cracks in your relationship that have been there for a very long time that require addressing. Whether you stay in the relationship or leave it will ultimately be your decision, but sometimes tough love is what we need to wake up to ourselves - I sympathise as I do understand ( I booted my ex out 6 months after arriving, a verbally abusive relationship that should've ended a long long time ago), but I learned that I had the strength to do what was right for me (I have no kids) as I made it to the other side of the world in one piece and survived!
And I have no doubt, you'll do what you feel is right for you and your kids at the end of the day!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:38 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Divorce isn't death and children DO leave home regardless of the situation. There are hello's and goodbyes in every situation. You have a simple choice and so does Ruby. You either take control of your direction in life or let life control your direction regardless of whether it's for better or worse. One thing you cannot do is regret your life. There are better times than others to take the leap. Right now may not be the best time to leap anywhere but it shouldn't stop you from planning your new direction, only when it starts to happen.

You have a life independant of your husband and children. You can live it any time you want. While you have to be sensible and responsible towards your children, life isn't supposed to be a prison sentence just because you married someone who isn't on the same boat you're on. Set your sail, dream your dream, make a plan and then pick the right time for it all to start happening,
Jeeez, you women. Stop making your husband and kids the excuse for not having a life.
Jeez cricket......you make it all sound SO simple! Ah, if only life were truly like that....maybe it is for you, but it's not for everyone, and I really don't think, having read right through this thread, that Ruby is using her husband and kids as an excuse for anything! In fact, the way I see it, it's precisely because she cares so much for her children that she's having a hard time reaching a decision.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:55 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, sometimes "tough love" is needed, but I think cricket was being unnecessarily harsh.....and it's interesting to see that your first comment on this thread is one of defence to a person who is on the atttack!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Yes, sometimes "tough love" is needed, but I think cricket was being unnecessarily harsh.....
I agree. Tough love does not require a baseball bat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.