Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Tricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Originally Posted by cricket1

You mention one key phrase in your post, the words 'gave up trying to change him'. I'm not a counsellor but I've worked with enough women and had enough life experience to know that you can only change yourself. Of course you would hit a wall and face an ending if you tried to change your partner. The key is to change yourself and your expectation of getting anything from him, then start planning how you want your life to be accepting that 'he' is unlikely facilitate how you would like to live.
:-)
Whilst this might be your experience, it is by no means carte blanche, we did turn things around and I am sure this could not have happened if I had had no expectation of him. Each situation and relationship is different.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Originally Posted by Tricia
Whilst this might be your experience, it is by no means carte blanche, we did turn things around and I am sure this could not have happened if I had had no expectation of him. Each situation and relationship is different.
It's so b****y difficult doing this online - chatting you'd easily make yourself (i mean oneself) understood.... I think Cricket's right that essentially the only person you're responsible for in terms of behaviour and changing that behaviour is yourself. However I also see your point that maybe one should always have hope and indeed having expectations of each other while potentially problematic can also be a goal particularly when you both, rather than just one of you, have the will to change not yourself nor the other person but the relationship for the better. Essentially I think there are a number of posters singing from similar hymnsheets, just with different emphasis & slightly different vocabulary.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:09 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tricia
I used the word 'expectation' loosely, in the sense that if his normal behaviour displayed an ongoing trend towards not changing, then it's best to not to keep expecting any improvement but to work on one's own direction and attitude.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Well I did create this thread to ask for advice, and I sure got a good mixture of varied responses for which I am really thankful

The final outcome of this thread is that I have decided to back off all talks with my OH about returning to the UK for however long it takes for the world economy to get back on it's feet and the housing market to pick up, and then perhaps we will re-evaluate matters. It could be anywhere from 1 year to 3 yrs...but all I know is that it would be extremely foolish of me to insist on us all (or me & my daughter) going back home with absolutely no money, possibly having to borrow large sums of money from my parents to get set up and having a record of bankruptcy here in Canada.

So I'm ready to sit tight, stay put, deal with the weather/winter and take things a day at a time and not look further ahead that a week away!
Cheers,
Ruby x
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good on you for making a decision Ruby! It sounds sensible in this climate and the fact that you have put some sort of time frame on it may make it easier for you to handle in the short term. Good luck and hang in there until you can do what is right for you.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry my, dear, I didnt see you decision note when writing this, so I back off with the harsh reply, sadly in my case 34 yrs of marriage has now gone down the tubes as I return to the UK - read below ........ My wife and I moved to the UK 11 yrs ago, (wife under duress). She spent the next 10 yrs longing to return to her family. Eventually we returned a year ago, and now she is unhappier and angrier than ever, in spite of getting everything she wanted. Bottom line, look deep inside yourself, thats where your happiness lays, not where you're located. Failing that, decide whats more important to you, and what are you prepared to sacrifice to get what you want. Make your decision and act upon it, your vacillation is just hurting others. You will hurt others, and you will cause damage, but the sooner and cleaner you make your decision, you allow everybody to re-adjust and move on. You cannot have your cake and eat it. Best of luck.

Last edited by vauxhallmonterey; Jan 20th 2009 at 9:55 am. Reason: re-read last response
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:19 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by woocus
Sorry my, dear, I didnt see you decision note when writing this, so I back off with the harsh reply, sadly in my case 34 yrs of marriage has now gone down the tubes as I return to the UK - read below ........ My wife and I moved to the UK 11 yrs ago, (wife under duress). She spent the next 10 yrs longing to return to her family. Eventually we returned a year ago, and now she is unhappier and angrier than ever, in spite of getting everything she wanted. Bottom line, look deep inside yourself, thats where your happiness lays, not where you're located. Failing that, decide whats more important to you, and what are you prepared to sacrifice to get what you want. Make your decision and act upon it, your vacillation is just hurting others. You will hurt others, and you will cause damage, but the sooner and cleaner you make your decision, you allow everybody to re-adjust and move on. You cannot have your cake and eat it. Best of luck.
wow sounds like you have been through the mill,

Im just wondering, do you think may be she waited to long to return.. Im sorry if this upsets you, just thought I ask

either way I wish you well for the furture..
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:26 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Well I did create this thread to ask for advice, and I sure got a good mixture of varied responses for which I am really thankful

The final outcome of this thread is that I have decided to back off all talks with my OH about returning to the UK for however long it takes for the world economy to get back on it's feet and the housing market to pick up, and then perhaps we will re-evaluate matters. It could be anywhere from 1 year to 3 yrs...but all I know is that it would be extremely foolish of me to insist on us all (or me & my daughter) going back home with absolutely no money, possibly having to borrow large sums of money from my parents to get set up and having a record of bankruptcy here in Canada.

So I'm ready to sit tight, stay put, deal with the weather/winter and take things a day at a time and not look further ahead that a week away!
Cheers,
Ruby x
Hi Ruby, the best of luck to you!!

Things have a way of working out, make a plan for the furture even start putting a little aside. then knowing you have something to aim for will help ease the pain of longing to go home.

please keep us updated on how you are doing
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

In the light of Ruby's post above, and the fact that she asked for her other thread to be closed, I'm going to put this one to bed.