Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Originally Posted by dunroving
I agree with Iain that it's a bit of both and that, most definitely, being depressed will cloud your judgement.
The thing is, even though I've been on anti-depressants for 12 months, they have controlled my depression and I'm honestly not depressed anymore! Back in the early days of last year, I had days when I honestly was suicidal as I could see no way out...but those days are well behind me and I haven't felt any suicidal thoughts for a good few months
Before I go any further, let me first off say that I'm really sorry to hear about your situation, both in terms of dealing with depression (perhaps the least understood major illness of them all), and with your mother's illness.
Thanks for your empathy Dunroving Just a slight difference in whose mum it is though...It's my OH's mum who is terminally ill, but nevertheless, still very upsetting to me

Having said that, let me play Devil's advocate for a bit:

First, everyone who goes overseas and leaves older relatives behind knows that at some time they will grow older and frailer. It surprises me that (seemingly) most couples in this situation haven't discussed the "What if?" question before they leave. I know that sometimes things take us by surprise (a parent develops a major illness before their time, for example) but in most cases I've seen on here, it seems people don't discuss these things until they actually happen - and then there are major decisions to be made, often in a hurry. It can be a gut-wrenching situation. We did discuss these "what if's" when we were going through the process but in all honesty, it's very easy to sweep the conversation under the carpet as you are on such a high that you don't want to even consider anything negative such as family deaths. We just seemed to be very blase about the topic in that we are just a flight away...nothing really in the way of devastated feelings! How very naive eh

Second, I have to put your husband's (and son's) side of things, bearing in mind the above. They have both made major life changes that, presumably, were family decisions agreed upon by everyone. The fact you bought your house so recently tells me that this was intended to be at least a semi-permanent move. In this case, it must be very difficult for the two males in the family to be asked to give all this up (and I'm sorry, but when I read the "If he loved me ..." line, it made me cringe. Using statements like this constitutes emotional blackmail ...).
Yes, that line did sound a little like emotional blackmail....but with the history I've had with my OH and all the horrible stuff we've had to endure because of what he's demanded of us in the past, I felt it only fair to throw that in there. October 2004 - OH has a mental meltdown at his employment in Ontario and with our G.P's go-ahead, and despite my reasoning not to, he resigns from his job! With no other jobs in the pipeline and him feeling utterly useless, he insists that the house, furniture, vehicle, all kids things, etc., be sold off and us return to the UK. At that time I was devastated and wasn't ready to return to the UK so soon...I was still into my adventure!! Anyway, we did return and it's a long-winded story of to-ing & fro-ing, but after 8 months of still not having a house to get settled into and jobs (because he was chronically depressed but in denial about it, therefore, no anti-D's), we decided to give it another shot here. Which is why I feel like my need is now being put aside unlike what I did for him.

Having said these two things, I can absolutely identify with how you feel being all the way over there and wanting desperately to be over here (and not just because you miss Tesco's and British banter like many people on MBTTUK, but because the woman who brought you into this world needs your help.)

If you did go back, is the plan to live with and care for your mother? If so, is it at all possible that you and your daughter could do that, and your husband and son could stay behind? I know this is not the perfect situation, but it would allow you to care for your mother, but would not burn the family's Canada bridges. So often on here I see situations described as "all or nothing" (either we all go home or we all stay here; I'm not happy here and don't want to stay in this country, therefore I must go home, 1,000's of miles away; I'm thinking of going back to the UK and if I do, it must be a permanent move). This leads to the burning of major bridges and leaves few options (and leads to major heartache).

If you tried this, at least your and your daughter's immediate needs would be satisfied, and husband/son's immediate needs are satisfied.

It also gives you options. In a year, you might decide as a family to resettle in the UK. Or, who knows, you might look back at this time and say "God, my mum's illness and my depression really clouded my judgement. I am really glad I came back, but also realise that long-term I want to make Canada work"

You can tell me I'm talking crap if it makes you feel better, but I hope you know I'm just trying to help you think through the options.

Regardless, I don't think your husband is being an @rseh*le, he's just being human. And you aren't acting spoilt, you're just (understandably) very emotional.

Good luck to all of you, and please let us know what's happening.
Thanks Dunroving....I've tried to answer your points as best as I can without sounding too much like i'm whittling on
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think this is what others have picked up on...he could say the same about you staying.
But in other ways you are right. Circumstances have changed. Not to get too dramatic about it but isn't that what 'vows' are all about? Committing to someone else?

Sometimes, for one partner to support another, sacrifices have to be made. Your desire clearly is not based on a whim. Obviously you have thought it through. Maybe he'll come around to supporting you now you've made a decision.
Well I'm lucky that I never took any vows....I've "lived in sin" for almost 21 years But I see your point of view in that we are still a couple in every sense like man and wife only without the ring & certificate!! Without my reeling off 21 years of stuff that even a Marriage Guidance Counsellor would be amazed at, my relationship is not built on the strongest of foundations....more like dangling on a string
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I can really identify with you and I don't know the answer. All I know is that if I keep on nagging my husband as you are the marriage will be destroyed and that also has enormous consequences. Dunroving seems to have some sensible advice, whilst I fully empathise with the desperate feelings, you also have your immediate family to consider. I would say your husband is being realistic.
Thanx Sally, Karma to you
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brightonbelle
Hi,

I feel for both you and your husband (and kids). Its not a case of being right or wrong here....your both hurting in different ways.

You want to go back home, to the familiar, to family....youve tried Canada and its not for you. You love your family and want to go home. I can understand you have given it time and tried, but now its getting too much.
Thank you

On the other hand, your husband has lost his dad, and his mum is seriously ill. He has a lot to grieve over at the moment....and he probably just cant take more stress (and moving home is as stressful as a death according to pyschologists). He also proabably and understandably wants to be there for his mum, and couldnt move whilst she needs him. So he wont be able to see things from your perspective at the moment...he probably cant face the grief of losing his wife and daughter on top. Add to that stresses over being a provider...could he take it if he couldnt get a suitable house/job?
Now this has crossed my mind many, many times....I truly feel for him the loss he's had already with his Dad and this year will be his Mum. I don't know how he's not lost the plot already with all the stress, but whether he's a trooper or a stubborn so-and-so, he won't go to the Dr's and get medical intervention to help him cope....No, he struggles on until one day, his head goes POP just like it did in Ontario '04! I've been there for him so many times to pick up the pieces of his stress, anxiety & depression, but honestly, he's never there for me to help me through mine

A date set in the future for making a definite decison could take the pressure off him right now, and maybe it could help you as there would be an end in sight. If you came back here without half your family, do you think you could be really happy? or would you allways wonder that if you could just give it another 12 months before coming home that it might be enough to come back as a complete family.

I dont think your being unreasonable by wanting to come home...but maybe the timing aint right for all of you as a family right now.

Good luck Ruby, I hope things work out for you all.

Ty
Thanks Ty....I already feel like I've given it 12 months here and by the time summer's here it'll be another 6 months...that to me is my 12/18 month wait on things the way I see it. It's bad enough as it is that I've had to endure another winter here, let alone another one at the end of this year...at the moment, that is hitting me harder than missing my parents/sister
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to say Ruby - that your thread title gave me a right laugh.

You've had some good 'to and fro' opinions from everyone. Chin up love - you're doing well
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quoll
Gee Ruby you do ask difficult questions! I know

I can see where you are both coming from and whilst my heart is totally on your side because I find myself trapped in Aus and desperate to be back where I belong, my head is probably on your DH's side! This is a cruddy time to be wanting to move anywhere in the world because of the total uncertainty facing us all and I wouldnt be suggesting that anyone move anywhere without a cast iron certainty of continuing security.

However, that aside, there are probably things you could BOTH do - first of all, he could be more active in job seeking in UK, really throw himself into it and if, given real effort, he still isnt able to pick something up then you at least know he has tried. I will surely be insisting he give this a go...I'll at least be happy knowing he's looking into things rather than just reading all the doom and gloom on Sky & BBC and smugly relaying the info to me

Secondly, you can live with your current situation - I am sure your counsellor is helping with all the little tricks to get you through each and every bloody day so that you dont get to wrist slitting stage. Some of the CBT techniques work reasonably well for me even though I am demonstrably so much happier when I am home. I bought a book recently on handling anxiety and it uses the A.C.T. method...is that the same thing?
My counsellor has helped me to realise that my UK nagging has created an on-going power-battle, one that my OH is strongly resisting against....so if I leave things alone and concentrate on myself and what I & my daughter want, make plans of my own that don't include him, then he will no longer have anything to resist against...which could lead to him evaluating his own future here on his own and possibly change his mind into joining us.
?

The bottom line is, I guess, is it the people in your life who are most important? In which case, do you still love the stubborn @rseh*le and see yourself growing old and being with him until the end of your days? Uhmmm If so, then fight like hell to save your marriage and perhaps be prepared to make compromises which dont exactly fall your way. If the spark has gone then you are only doing yourself harm by staying in what is developing into a toxic relationship and saving yourself is the best thing to do. The longer you all stay, the more difficult it will be to leave though for lots of reasons. I'll PM you on this one

Your 18 year old is on the verge of making his own life and in a few years he could be living the high life in Mogadishu so tying yourself to a place just because he wants it at the moment is a bit of a red herring.

My survival strategy involves a trip home for a month at least once a year - not ideal but it sort of works for me. DH knows that it is what I need and so his part of the compromise is that he has to earn the money so I can do it!!! It tears my guts out every time I have to come back but the thought of living life without him is far far worse and that is why I stay. If I was indifferent about our relationship I would have gone home years ago. Yeah, and I so wish I could have a whole month back home each year in order to satisfy my needs, but it is just financially impossible with the cost of our mortgage and other bills. Even when we get "the phone call" about his dear Mum, all the flights & car hire will have to go on the already up-to-the-limit plastic and he'll have to go without us lot.

Anyway, some big cyber {{{hugs}}} and some positive vibes for something good to come out of your current predicament.

Edited to ask - is your MIL in Canada? If so that definitely would change the goal posts for me. Your DH must be hugely anxious about her because that is a truly horrible disease. No, unfortunately she is in a nursing home back home in Manchester and has Macmillan nurses check on her deterioration periodically....and yes, it's a damned evil disease that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. My OH is silently in pieces about her
Karma for such a balanced and helpful post Quoll.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ann m
I just wanted to say Ruby - that your thread title gave me a right laugh.

You've had some good 'to and fro' opinions from everyone. Chin up love - you're doing well
LOL....I couldn't have worded it any other way to express what I wanted to ask

Ta chick
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:32 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I cant really add much to what everyone else has said Rubes, but wanted to give you a cyber hug. I would so hate to be in your position.

Out of interest, what field of work is OH in? You say he is worried about job prospects in UK.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:44 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
I am so tired and drained after fighting with my OH for the best part of 12 months about selling up and moving back home.

Everything appeared to be going smoothly enough for us here in Canada, up until we bought a house in our max budget range in August 2007 and also following the death of my F.I.L. in January '08 and the deterioration of my M.I.L. due to Motor Neurone Disease/Lou Gehrig's Disease. Since then, I've re-evaluated how and where I want to spend the rest of my life, and because I'm such a family-oriented home-body, I want to go home now.....but my OH still will not entertain the idea because of the recession going on back home and he nastily throws it in my face that there are NO JOBS ANYWHERE!!! I know it's a global thing and even here in Alberta, Canada, we're experiencing fewer job offers and plunging house prices...BUT, I keep insisting to my OH that if he was truly motivated and took the time to research what jobs are being offered in the UK, I'm pretty sure the move could be possible. I had tried so hard last year to get him to see my point of view but it dragged on and on with neither of us getting anywhere...a stale-mate. I've been on anti-depressants (3 different brands) for 12 months and have been in counselling for 8 months and I still can't alleviate the strong feelings I have of going home My counsellor has been an absolute gem in helping me to pull away from the OH with all my nagging, encouraging and constant hint-dropping. I've now taken matters into my own hands and made my own decision to go back by Summer of this year, taking our 11 y.o. daughter with me as she is as desperate to be back as I am. He's really laying on the guilt trip that I'm ruining his and our (almost) 18 y.o. son's life by selfishly forcing us to sell our house that we'll be lucky to break even or worse still, go into foreclosure. His idea would be to ride it out here for another 12-18 months to see how the house prices pick up here and for the UK economy to build back up again. But I think he's being selfish for not even trying and if he really loved me and our daughter, then surely he'd follow along??

Am I acting selfish under today's circumstances, or is he the one that's being difficult and unreasonable by not researching and planning a move that could work with joint effort. I'll leave it there for now and wait for some (or any) responses
Thanks for listening,
Ruby xx
To be brutally honest, it seems to me that your husband is thinking with a clear mind whereas you are not.

What he is telling you about waiting until the situation improves in the UK sounds like a very good plan to me.

He hasn't told you he is not going to return but rather that you should 'wait it out' and move in better times whereas you seem completely unwilling to compromise.

Also, using blackmail as a weapon is never the right thing to do in any situation.

That's what I think anyway.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ruby I was saddened to read your post...I don't think I can add anything that's not already been said. Just remember you can always log on here and chat to someone...day or night. I only wish BE had been around during my darkest days as an expat in the '90's.

Take care of yourself and all the very best for the future.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for giving such a balanced view Iain
If your family discussions get a bit out of hand, can you find someone to mediate and keep it on track?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:34 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck Ruby, you have hard decisions ahead I think(((HUGS))) to you and I just hope it all works out and you can all be happy.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't like getting involved with these sorts of threads as I never know whether I'm being told the truth, half truths, lies etc. Not accusing you of lying but you're obviously only giving your side of the story so no one can really advise you properly. If your man has recently lost his dad and knows he is going to lose his mother too, he may well be closing down emotions and not actually want to see his mother decline and die - many people don't. Doesn't mean they don't care, or that they don't love the person, it's a self preservation thing.

If he has a history of depression (whether diagnosed or not), maybe he knows what will trigger a return to the dark days and knows that for his mental state he has to stay where he is for the time being with a job he knows.

Speaking for myself only, I can't think of anything worse than looking at the next 12 months and seeing a) a massive international move; b) house selling and purchasing; c) job hunting which may or may not be successful and d) watching his only remaining parent die. Most people would struggle with that lot spread out over a few years, let alone imagining it for the next year.

He hasn't said no, he won't move. He's said it's out of the question at the moment (unless I've read your post wrong).

Anyway, can't say if he's being a stubborn whatsit or if you're a spoilt moo. sorry.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

ACT is great, Ruby and if your counsellor will work with you on it you will find that you are better able to cope with it all (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy if anyone is interested). What it should do is enable you to live with the thoughts and feelings and not be overwhelmed by them. I like ACT but am more of a behaviourist and still find comfort in thought stopping and positive affirmations (OK so I am a control freak, it happens!). I did some training in ACT early last year and am planning to continue and do the advanced training this year but my current job doesnt really lend itself to the practical at the mo.

I find that nothing feeds depression and dissatisfaction quite like poverty (or any other kind of financial stress!) and when I feel that we have enough money for our needs (and to pay for my vices) then I can manage quite well but if we had a mortgage and were up to the max on the plastic then I would be freaking out too - it's having the choice and believing you still have some control over the situation makes it manageable.

I think the others may be right about your DH and his mum - fear of the unknown and seeing the slow deterioration of someone into that hateful disease might make him put up his protective barriers. Too much trauma in a short period can do that to someone and given that he has had mental health issues in the past it may just be another way to stop himself feeling the pain that a daily visit to his mum might bring on.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:10 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm lucky that I never took any vows....I've "lived in sin" for almost 21 years But I see your point of view in that we are still a couple in every sense like man and wife only without the ring & certificate!!
Legally speaking, in canadian terms you are just as married as if you had a ring and certificate Im afraid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.