Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I cant really add much to what everyone else has said Rubes, but wanted to give you a cyber hug. I would so hate to be in your position.

Out of interest, what field of work is OH in? You say he is worried about job prospects in UK.
He's an Aircraft Painter Flea, and those kind of jobs are very few and far between - besides, he said he'd never pick up another paint gun after this job he's got here as he hates this line of work. He has always said he'd go in for his HGV license, so that would be a strong possibility.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Ruby I was saddened to read your post...I don't think I can add anything that's not already been said. Just remember you can always log on here and chat to someone...day or night. I only wish BE had been around during my darkest days as an expat in the '90's.

Take care of yourself and all the very best for the future.
Oh I absolutely wish I knew of this website back in the days of our immigration process...and for the times when things have gone t#ts up throughout our 5 years - I'm sure it would have helped so much and maybe even prevented some of the stupid moves we made Oh well, c'est la vie..they happened and you have to move on from them but it doesn't stop the embarrassment at how you've ran your life & moved your kids lives around so much. Thanks Jerseygirl

Originally Posted by Baby75
Good luck Ruby, you have hard decisions ahead I think(((HUGS))) to you and I just hope it all works out and you can all be happy.
Cheers Baby

Thanks for your encouragement guys
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my man being a stubborn @rseh*le or am I acting like a spoilt moo?

Hi Ruby

no wisdom from me just a great big hug Hope you find a way through this.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
To be brutally honest, it seems to me that your husband is thinking with a clear mind whereas you are not.
You know that's what he says to me - that I'm puddled and living in a dream world if I think we can easily move back home. But, in all fairness DunRoamin, you don't know me at all to say that I am not thinking with a clear mind. I've already said that I've been on anti-D's all year, am undergoing regular counselling and that I'm not depressed at all these days - I'm just frustrated.
What he is telling you about waiting until the situation improves in the UK sounds like a very good plan to me.

He hasn't told you he is not going to return but rather that you should 'wait it out' and move in better times whereas you seem completely unwilling to compromise.
True, but he also can't give me any real kind of time frame either which leaves me in a state of limbo and waiting....and I believe it was a saying Nu-Shooz said the other day that "Life is not a waiting room" which is bang on! I NEED a date to focus on or I will just go crazy. And as you mentioned the subject of compromise...I could say the same thing about him too! I don't see any compromise from him by joining me in doing some research on jobs and available properties - he doesn't want to know what's available because he wants to BELIEVE that the UK is going down the pan....he is still being the man he has always been and that is an OSTRICH...you know, burying his head in the sand or sticking his fingers in his ears going "la-la-la, la-la-la"

Also, using blackmail as a weapon is never the right thing to do in any situation. I have never said to his face "If you loved me you'd come with me" - only in black and white on this thread. I am not stupid enough to say that knowing full well he could throw the same thing back to me and say "If you loved ME enough, you'd keep us all together and ride it out". However, what I do say is that we've grown to want different things out of life...and he can't argue with that.
That's what I think anyway.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Don't like getting involved with these sorts of threads as I never know whether I'm being told the truth, half truths, lies etc. Not accusing you of lying but you're obviously only giving your side of the story so no one can really advise you properly.

If your man has recently lost his dad and knows he is going to lose his mother too, he may well be closing down emotions and not actually want to see his mother decline and die - many people don't. Doesn't mean they don't care, or that they don't love the person, it's a self preservation thing.
This is the thing I'm finding harder to come to grips with...I don't get it! I appreciate we are all made of different material, but for me, the most natural thing in the world is to be at my parents or siblings side during their time of need - even if that means giving up everything we have here. They are so precious to us - they made us and gave us life. But I'm a woman, and it's usually us women that feel that strongly, whereas men have the ability to detach themselves once the umbillical cord is cut! No, seriously, you are very correct in your observation that my man is on emotional shutdown and that he is struggling with the waiting as she deteriorates. I am trying to help him by suggesting that he goes and gets the right help with meds to build his mental strength up for when it happens, cos I know he's going to crack.

If he has a history of depression (whether diagnosed or not), maybe he knows what will trigger a return to the dark days and knows that for his mental state he has to stay where he is for the time being with a job he knows. Yes, he says that returning to a life back in the UK would send him off the rails and that's what he's scared of

Speaking for myself only, I can't think of anything worse than looking at the next 12 months and seeing a) a massive international move; b) house selling and purchasing; c) job hunting which may or may not be successful and d) watching his only remaining parent die. Most people would struggle with that lot spread out over a few years, let alone imagining it for the next year. When you put all that into one context, then yes, it does look extremely overwhelming for a person to take - but that's what I'm here for, and he won't be alone in all this. He has a good supporting family back home who would bend over backwards to help him through, not to mention me and our two kids. Believe me, my mind is as clear as a bell when it comes to planning ahead and I also believe that you can achieve anything if your mind is so set on it....if he could only trust me that it would work out ok.

He hasn't said no, he won't move. He's said it's out of the question at the moment (unless I've read your post wrong).

Anyway, can't say if he's being a stubborn whatsit or if you're a spoilt moo. sorry.
I appreciate your points of view though
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Hi Ruby

no wisdom from me just a great big hug Hope you find a way through this.
Oh so do I Elaine I envy you that you're back home and it was an easy decision process for you - but I'm glad to hear you're well and truly settled
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray

Oh I absolutely wish I knew of this website back in the days of our immigration process...and for the times when things have gone t#ts up throughout our 5 years - I'm sure it would have helped so much and maybe even prevented some of the stupid moves we made Oh well, c'est la vie..they happened and you have to move on from them but it doesn't stop the embarrassment at how you've ran your life & moved your kids lives around so much. Thanks Jerseygirl

Just to let you know you're not alone...I think many of us could beat ourselves up for what we've done to our kids...I know we do.

Our daughter was 11 when we moved to the US...at 18 she went to uni Canada. We thought living and being educated in 3 different countries would make her more worldly and open many doors...ie being able to work in Europe, US and Canada...and in many ways it has. She is now living and working in Toronto and loves it there...has a great group of friends, boyfriend, social life etc....but a few weeks ago she told me sometimes she feels terribly lost and lonely. Even though she has a full life she doesn't have family ties in Canada...such as Thanksgiving when everyone is going home to see their family. She can't nip home for a few hours to see mum/dad/grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins etc. She doesn't feel she belongs anywhere.

Of course she is only 23...so hopefully as the years go by she will put roots down and finally feel at home...wherever that may be.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just to let you know you're not alone...I think many of us could beat ourselves up for what we've done to our kids...I know we do.

Our daughter was 11 when we moved to the US...at 18 she went to uni Canada. We thought living and being educated in 3 different countries would make her more worldly and open many doors...ie being able to work in Europe, US and Canada...and in many ways it has. She is now living and working in Toronto and loves it there...has a great group of friends, boyfriend, social life etc....but a few weeks ago she told me sometimes she feels terribly lost and lonely. Even though she has a full life she doesn't have family ties in Canada...such as Thanksgiving when everyone is going home to see their family. She can't nip home for a few hours to see mum/dad/grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins etc. She doesn't feel she belongs anywhere.

Of course she is only 23...so hopefully as the years go by she will put roots down and finally feel at home...wherever that may be.
Oh that is so sad and that is my fear for my kids now. They've been moved from pillar to post so much that I think Restlessness Syndrome has been instilled in their bones!! My daughter is only 11 and is really suffering the distance from her Grandparents, Aunties/Uncles & cousins....and some people on here might come back to me on that one and say "well what about her Dad when you take her away from him". Well as she can't come on here and confirm how she feels towards her Dad - only I can say it as it is from my "one-sided" angle. Her Dad has never been a loving, affectionate, complimenting, child-adoring man - with the exception to times when he's had to and tried to make an effort because I threatened to leave him if he didn't start showing his kids the fatherly love they needed Perhaps some might understand why I don't talk so lovely about my man Anyway, the point I was making about my daughter is that she misses her family in the UK because she receives such love and warmth from them (as well as what I provide)
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Ruby Murray;7145844]Oh that is so sad and that is my fear for my kids now. They've been moved from pillar to post so much that I think Restlessness Syndrome

Hi Ruby
Have read your posts and really feel for the dilema you are in ,I really hope you manage to find a solution that works for all of you, not easy I know but it sounds as though you have been through so much as a family , but the important thing is you are all still together if you can get through this im sure you will get through anything .All the very best .
Old Jan 10th 2009, 1:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always a big advocate for families staying together and finding a way to work things out amicably but I would say in your case sweetie I really think the time has come for you to just do what is best for you and your daughter...

Stick with your plans, you've waited out the time and now if you feel going back is the right thing for you to do so then go for it.

Good luck
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:57 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

If things are bearable where you are, I'd stay put for now purely on practical grounds. Life can't all be about what is right for the individual. I'd say pull together and stay together just until the global economy becomes more stable.
In times like these, it's important not to jump from the frying pan into the fire.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 6:36 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
If things are bearable where you are, I'd stay put for now purely on practical grounds. Life can't all be about what is right for the individual. I'd say pull together and stay together just until the global economy becomes more stable.
In times like these, it's important not to jump from the frying pan into the fire.
What if she "stayed put" on practical grounds, (which are what, exactly?) and ended up being (legally) forced to stay here for years? It happens. Waiting for the global economy to become stable is an unpredictable deadline. Sometimes, I am assured, you have to take a leap of faith. I am the first to admit I wish I'd had the balls to do it.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Erica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really nice

I have had a quick look through this thread and there is not much to add, but as a fellow forum member who also wishes to return to the UK from Canada I can really empathise and wanted to send you some cyber hugs.

I think that you really need some plan of action to somehow get you all back to the UK as from what I have read you may never be truly happy here and that will impact on your family here, IMO. From what I can gather your husband is not completely averse to returning, its the employment situation that concerns him. Maybe if he starts retraining now, when things pick up he is more likely to get a job in the UK? By him taking positive action now you would probably start to feel more optimistic too? It may still be a long wait though. I know that once us women have made our minds up we just want to get on with it. Every extra day my daughter and I don’t see our family in the UK it breaks my heart. Life is too short to not be where you want to be.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:59 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Erica P
I have had a quick look through this thread and there is not much to add, but as a fellow forum member who also wishes to return to the UK from Canada I can really empathise and wanted to send you some cyber hugs.

I think that you really need some plan of action to somehow get you all back to the UK as from what I have read you may never be truly happy here and that will impact on your family here, IMO. From what I can gather your husband is not completely averse to returning, its the employment situation that concerns him. Maybe if he starts retraining now, when things pick up he is more likely to get a job in the UK? By him taking positive action now you would probably start to feel more optimistic too? It may still be a long wait though. I know that once us women have made our minds up we just want to get on with it. Every extra day my daughter and I don’t see our family in the UK it breaks my heart. Life is too short to not be where you want to be.

How close are you to moving? The house not selling is our worry and potential stumbling block...:curse:
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:20 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
What if she "stayed put" on practical grounds, (which are what, exactly?) and ended up being (legally) forced to stay here for years? It happens. Waiting for the global economy to become stable is an unpredictable deadline. Sometimes, I am assured, you have to take a leap of faith. I am the first to admit I wish I'd had the balls to do it.
Just my opinion which is what the poster asked for. The great thing about advice is you can take it or leave it. In any case, every situation is different and it sounds like all that needs to happen is for her husband to gain a bit more confidence in the idea of returning. Leaving him in the lurch while she packs her bags and takes off won't help him do this. Staying together for a bit longer may be all the time they need to reach a workable compromise.
If not, then she knows she has exhausted all avenues and can return home having known she gave it her best shot.

For me, because i'm self employed and because my husband has a well paid secure job at the moment, we would have to consider staying put rather than taking a 'leap of faith' into a black hole like a pair of lemmings.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:48 pm
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by cricket1
Just my opinion which is what the poster asked for......Staying together for a bit longer may be all the time they need to reach a workable compromise.
For me, because i'm self employed and because my husband has a well paid secure job at the moment, we would have to consider staying put rather than taking a 'leap of faith' into a black hole like a pair of lemmings.
I appreciate it is just your opinion, and that the OP asked for opinions. However your marriage does not sound like it is in trouble, and you are not in financial difficulties. Being in that position factors in a whole different set of issues. What one person sees as staying to compromise may just give the other time to sabaotage everything. Such an outcome may work to the OP's singular disadvantage, if the couple eventually does go their separate ways. Be cautious, is all I am saying. The lemmings reference was a little unnecessary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.