Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

This might change your mind about moving back

This might change your mind about moving back

Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:44 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This might change your mind about moving back

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Hi, D! Hope you and yours are well.

OK, he's my true facts from Aus:

1) On my way to work two days ago, a gang of teens from the local high school were shouting (I mean really hurling some obscene abuse) at a man. Said man is the local dog-walker. He's not got the highest IQ. He is lovely - always smiling and says hello, asks how you are. And as if shouting wasn't bad enough, the gang then started throwing things at him - empty bottles and general rubbish. Nobody did anything. (It had stopped by the time I got anywhere near, but I can't say I would have intervened either. )

2) A camping trip oop north, to a beautiful national park. Absolutely gorgeous area. Completely ruined by the hoons racing their cars around the place. Said hoons also had a BBQ - and left their rubbish everywhere; they even took great pleasure in throwing it around the place, at each other etc. It was left for me, a friend and a pregnant woman to clean up. Nice.

Two small examples of many bad experiences I've had in Aus. But they're not the overriding experience. And they're certainly not enough to even think about suggesting to someone that they shouldn't come here - that's just bloody stupid. The thing is, the longer you stay in a place, the easier you see the problems and faults. After two years here (still barely any time at all!), I'm starting to see through the flash paint job and pick out the cracks underneath. And some of the problems are huge and not pretty. And that's not Internet rubbish - that is a true fact.
As i said in my other post nowhere is perfect....i don't expect australia to be anyway. When i was there in Febuary i witnessed a drunk robbing a car but he was too pissed to do anything once in the car

I am not trying to escape from anything here......i just want to try something and do something different with my life.......and for how long who knows.

Hpe you have a safe trip back home N....best of luck with everything

BNN .....we are in January

H
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:51 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie
As i said in my other post nowhere is perfect....i don't expect australia to be anyway. When i was there in Febuary i witnessed a drunk robbing a car but he was too pissed to do anything once in the car

I am not trying to escape from anything here......i just want to try something and do something different with my life.......and for how long who knows.

Hpe you have a safe trip back home N....best of luck with everything

BNN .....we are in January

H
Ah, Issie! I'm shocked! (See -> ) Australia is the dog's proverbials! Repeat matra to self until you believe it must be true.

You'll be right out here. Being realistic goes a long way to making a success of it (although, seen as we're in this forum, I best throw in that sometimes that alone aint enough ). It's not a bad ole place.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
Well I only said might, I think alot of it is true.
You are absolutely right!!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:51 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Although much of that article is opinion and not fact, it certainly outlines some of the reasons that we moved to NZ from Southend, Essex. Yup - Southend - supposedly Chav central and the beginning of the whole 'burbury' movement.

The place has good and bad areas, but seemed to have less of the former and more of the latter over the 7 years I spent their.

We were in a middle of the road area - not your council estate, and not the posh area, but boy did we suffer from the whole 'don't get involved' malaise that seems to be infecting suburban UK. Regular vandalism, verbal abuse, theft, threats, stabbings on our door step, beer cans in the front garden etc etc. Neighbours saw it, said nothing. Passers by saw it, said nothing. We had no way of bettering ourselves as were on our max mortgage - so no way of moving to something 'better'.

Even my brother and sister in law living in a small village around 8 miles away suffered from the, what seems to be the now standard, bunch of pissed up hoodies outside the one and only local convenience store.

It does all depend on area the area you move to, but if you have blown your stack of $$$'s on moving to, and then living, overseas - don't kid yourself that it will all be gravy back home when you've lost your monetary advantage.

I did say that it was these issues were one of the many reasons for moving on, but they are real, they do exist, don't discount it completely as scaremongering, and do your research for an area before settling.

Just my 2c,

Wiz'n'Ton
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:36 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can run but you can't hide...crime bored kids with no future etc catches up with you unless you have the money to buy a safe world...

We moved to small town USA over 7 years ago...it the last few years I've seen that change...drugs..vandalism...small time crime...car jacking...breakins..it creeps in slow but sure...the local grave yard had all the war vets graves knocked over and spray painted..I remember that being a bored kids crime back in the UK 10 15 years ago...knifing people tyres..hundreds in one night...I remember that happening in Titchfield village UK when I lived there 20 years ago...drinking has always been a problem on Cape Cod...the list of kids who kill or die while drunk driving or killed by a drunk driver is heartbreaking Christmas and Thanksgiving time....
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Although much of that article is opinion and not fact, it certainly outlines some of the reasons that we moved to NZ from Southend, Essex. Yup - Southend - supposedly Chav central and the beginning of the whole 'burbury' movement.

The place has good and bad areas, but seemed to have less of the former and more of the latter over the 7 years I spent their.

We were in a middle of the road area - not your council estate, and not the posh area, but boy did we suffer from the whole 'don't get involved' malaise that seems to be infecting suburban UK. Regular vandalism, verbal abuse, theft, threats, stabbings on our door step, beer cans in the front garden etc etc. Neighbours saw it, said nothing. Passers by saw it, said nothing. We had no way of bettering ourselves as were on our max mortgage - so no way of moving to something 'better'.

Even my brother and sister in law living in a small village around 8 miles away suffered from the, what seems to be the now standard, bunch of pissed up hoodies outside the one and only local convenience store.

It does all depend on area the area you move to, but if you have blown your stack of $$$'s on moving to, and then living, overseas - don't kid yourself that it will all be gravy back home when you've lost your monetary advantage.

I did say that it was these issues were one of the many reasons for moving on, but they are real, they do exist, don't discount it completely as scaremongering, and do your research for an area before settling.

Just my 2c,

Wiz'n'Ton
GREAT POST
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:54 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Although much of that article is opinion and not fact, it certainly outlines some of the reasons that we moved to NZ from Southend, Essex. Yup - Southend - supposedly Chav central and the beginning of the whole 'burbury' movement.........
Couldn't you just have moved to Putney or Didsbury?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:59 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I think he made a mistake....he must be talking about Australia!

Seriously though, show me somewhere not in the developing world that doesn't have these 'problems' It is called the 21st century. In fact tell me when this golden age was where people admired and aspired to intellectualism, didn't go in for cheap thrills or trashy culture and children were perfectly behaved. I can't think of one.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:03 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Couldn't you just have moved to Putney or Didsbury?
it sounds a bit like anywhere in the: supposed to be "civilized world" it's global and it's growing and we do have to do something about it... not sure what but something....it makes me think that we are all moving all over the world to "get away" perhaps we should "fix up" where we live now... just a thought....
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
it sounds a bit like anywhere in the: supposed to be "civilized world" it's global and it's growing and we do have to do something about it... not sure what but something....it makes me think that we are all moving all over the world to "get away" perhaps we should "fix up" where we live now... just a thought....
And a very good thought at that!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

What worries me most is that it seems people are brainwashed.
No one blinks an eye seeing anti social behavior.
I notice older people are disgusted by it all, but the younger generations just think; that's how it is and that's how it always be. If my 14 year old wants to have a drink he/she can, if my 15 year old daughter wants to have a baby, she can...
It's all about peer pressure, peer pressure my arse:curse:

I'll never ever get use to this ignorant attitude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by trutje
I notice older people are disgusted by it all, but the younger generations just think; that's how it is and that's how it always be. If my 14 year old wants to have a drink he/she can, if my 15 year old daughter wants to have a baby, she can...

you are sooooooooooooo right trutje,it's all just an excuse to get away with bad behaviour,and sad to say everyone seems to be excepting it.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:37 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trutje

Like parents who say that kids today are 'different' and that is the reason they can't control them. The only thing difference is the way the adults are treating kids. Noone seems to step up to be the adult these days.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alicecat
Like parents who say that kids today are 'different' and that is the reason they can't control them. The only thing difference is the way the adults are treating kids. Noone seems to step up to be the adult these days.
It's absolutely ridiculous!!
The other day I overheard this conversation on a bus; on a saturday evening she would sit with her 14 year old daughter, would give her alcohol to see how much the daughter could handle...So when the daughter would go to town she would know how much she could drink......
And she really believed that was good parenting!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
you are sooooooooooooo right trutje,it's all just an excuse to get away with bad behaviour,and sad to say everyone seems to be excepting it.

It's sad, isn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.