NEOM COMMUNITY THREAD

Wikiposts

NEOM COMMUNITY THREAD

Old Aug 1st 2023, 5:28 am
Just Joined

A_Littletowers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: NEOM COMMUNITY THREAD

Originally Posted by TotalBadger
After a 3 month process, I am finally flying out this Sunday August 6th (LHR to NUM direct)...

...my only slight concern is I have not received any e-mails from the Housing department, or received my QR entry code! I am chasing my onboarder, but there is radio silence.

I feel this is going to be quite the adventure! haha.

Anyone else doing induction on Aug 7th?
Hi TB,

I’m arriving also on Sun 6th.

I received the QR last Sunday, but nothing else. As the rest of the colleagues from this forum said, they will provide us the info. Think NEOM is receiving hundreds of people everyweek and this process must be under control (although there can be always exceptions).

Have a nice trip!
Old Aug 2nd 2023, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Aschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, is vaping legal in Saudi? Can I bring my disposable vapers?
Old Aug 2nd 2023, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

HelpfulExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TotalBadger
Hello,
I'm flying out to Neom in a fortnight, I've never worked in the Middle East before - and wondered if anyone had any tips, or things they wish they had known before flying out? I've looked through most of the threads, and have listed some of my questions and notes below - in case anyone had any comments or feedback.

I'm working on the Line, and will be living in NC2. I'm not bringing my family, and was told on the induction call that family accommodation is not available until 2024 earliest.

Clothing
What do people wear in the office? My guess is shirt and chino trousers.
What do people wear on their feet? My guess is brown formal shoes, but I'm hoping something more comfortable?
I'll be an office worker in NC1. Does each department have its own dress code?

What to bring?
Should I pack light to begin with, or is any particular kit recommended?

Remote working
How is the 2 days per month working out for people? Are they being very strict, or is it department dependent?

Other
For banking I've setup a Revolut premium account, and HSBC (UK) USD account. There is a good thread re: banking: "Banking in KSA"
I'm worried about my 1st paycheck being sent directly to my UK bank account, and the fees I'll have to pay on this.
I've been recommended Express VPN.

Thanks in advance!
Clothing:
This varies a lot and can be different depending communities/departments. Some (gents) wear chinos and business shirts, and some offices they're mostly wearing suit trousers, shirts and business shoes.

If you wear a full suit you look like a consultant, and some people choose to do that, but I can't really fathom why you would bother when it's completely acceptable to wear jeans, t-shirt/polo and smart sneakers.

Most expats wear sneakers for comfort or smart loafers style shoes. I recommend wearing whatever you feel comfortable in.

For women it's also varied and like any office in a major city. Some in jeans and t-shirt and some in dress and high heels.

What to bring?:
You could pack pretty light with mostly summer clothes now, and pick up more on your next trip to UK. It's a reasonable fee for an extra suitcase, so up-to you how much you want to bring in one trip.Tip: Bring some decent snorkelling equipment if you're keen to explore the stunning Red Sea.

Remote working:
The policy change to 2 days per calendar month is pretty useless for most expats. However, I think it could be worked to split across two months and therefore it's similar to the previous policy with maximum of 5 days adjacent an annual leave period.

Personally I don't have much need for them, but it really effects colleagues who live long distances (US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand) from Neom and relied on them for two weeks trips home and quality time with family.

Other:
Wouldn't worry about fees for your first salary payments. The fees are negliable and should be considered as covered by the relocation allowance. Forex is far more concerning for USD/GBP.
Old Aug 2nd 2023, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Aschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelpfulExpat
Clothing:
This varies a lot and can be different depending communities/departments. Some (gents) wear chinos and business shirts, and some offices they're mostly wearing suit trousers, shirts and business shoes.

If you wear a full suit you look like a consultant, and some people choose to do that, but I can't really fathom why you would bother when it's completely acceptable to wear jeans, t-shirt/polo and smart sneakers.

Most expats wear sneakers for comfort or smart loafers style shoes. I recommend wearing whatever you feel comfortable in.

For women it's also varied and like any office in a major city. Some in jeans and t-shirt and some in dress and high heels.

What to bring?:
You could pack pretty light with mostly summer clothes now, and pick up more on your next trip to UK. It's a reasonable fee for an extra suitcase, so up-to you how much you want to bring in one trip.Tip: Bring some decent snorkelling equipment if you're keen to explore the stunning Red Sea.

Remote working:
The policy change to 2 days per calendar month is pretty useless for most expats. However, I think it could be worked to split across two months and therefore it's similar to the previous policy with maximum of 5 days adjacent an annual leave period.

Personally I don't have much need for them, but it really effects colleagues who live long distances (US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand) from Neom and relied on them for two weeks trips home and quality time with family.

Other:
Wouldn't worry about fees for your first salary payments. The fees are negliable and should be considered as covered by the relocation allowance. Forex is far more concerning for USD/GBP.
Are sandals acceptable for women of rather covered shoes?
Old Aug 2nd 2023, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

BMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aschia
Hi, is vaping legal in Saudi? Can I bring my disposable vapers?
Yes and yes. A lot of folks smoke and vape around here.
Old Aug 2nd 2023, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Are sandals acceptable for women of rather covered shoes?
Yes, absolutely!
And it's common for men wearing traditional thobes to also wear sandals.
It's hot, be comfortable.
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Mynudding is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone can provide some advice to choose VPN at NEOM? I have zero idea about VPN. I understand to make voice calls via WhatsApp and some other contents people use VPN in Saudi. Any sort of advice is appreciated.
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mynudding
Anyone can provide some advice to choose VPN at NEOM? I have zero idea about VPN. I understand to make voice calls via WhatsApp and some other contents people use VPN in Saudi. Any sort of advice is appreciated.
I’ve done some research and spoke with people already there and apparently paid subscription to NordVPN is the best option
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

I’ve done some research and spoke with people already there and apparently paid subscription to NordVPN is the best option
Thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

TotalBadger is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been told ExpressVPN is also good.
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Totototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant future

I am coming from Australia to work at NEOM and planning to keep my family in Tabuk until I find accommodation for them at NC1. I will visit them during weekend. Can someone help me or provide guide me to find housing in Tabuk?
go to AppStore and type AQAR
its the app everyone’s using here to rent buy sell real estate.
the name will show in Arabic in the list the icon is grey
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

LK2102 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am also planning to join in Sep and will be placed in Oak Village, appointed through a third party. but the place looks decent
Old Aug 4th 2023, 2:35 am
Just Joined

eckspat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scott78
We are going with 3 kids and we have been told the wait for us would be around 3 months
Did you ever get any clarity on this? How long did you end up waiting? In the last few months I've been told by various people that the wait for 2 bed accom is 3-6 months, 6 months, and 12 months.
Old Aug 4th 2023, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Totototo
go to AppStore and type AQAR
its the app everyone’s using here to rent buy sell real estate.
the name will show in Arabic in the list the icon is grey
Thx mate.

Unfortunately its all in arabic. Don't understand how to search.
Old Aug 4th 2023, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

As others have said ExpressVPN or Nord VPN are the common and reliable. It's only required for WhatsApp calling, and isn't needed for other popular voice/video calling apps (Messenger, Telegram, Facetime).
It can also be used to access streaming services or Netflix content available in other countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.