Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

NEOM COMMUNITY THREAD

NEOM COMMUNITY THREAD

Old Jul 1st 2023, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Aschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: NEOM COMMUNITY THREAD

Originally Posted by Smart11
thanks for the information. I was wondering if long term leave without pay is possible or not, like it is in western countries.
or for any other reason like education or simply willingness of taking 3 months break (unpaid leave), since the project is long it would make sense to allow people to take unpaid leave with a guarantee of returning to their actual position, I believe they could keep people for longer this way. Is anyone aware of whether it’s possible to take unpaid leave and Saudi law foresees it at all?
Old Jul 2nd 2023, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

IL2023 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeoffJB
I'm due to fly out on 16th July on a direct flight from London Heathrow to NEOM Bay. The flight lands KSA time at 1am on 17th July.

I will be working on OXAGON and as both Oxagon Basecamp and the Southern Business Community are currently at capacity, I will be housed at the Duba Apartments. I am told that this will be for a period of up to 1-year. My onboarder has now shared a location plan of the Apartments, plus some photo's taken both externally and internally. As I understand it, there will be 5 blocks, 3 or 4 of which are new-build with the other 1 or 2 being refurbs.

On first glance, they look very well appointed internally - fresh, modern and spacious which bodes well. If the images are anything to go by, I think I'd rather stay there for the duration! Duba itself also looks quite a pleasant place with a tree-lined corniche/promenade and a marina. Within a short driving distance there appears to be some fantastic beaches and snorkelling but frustratingly, I won't be able to sample those until the heat tails off in Sep/Oct.

Advice to all incoming OXAGON employees travelling from Heathrow on the direct Sunday flight: I have been told that due to the time it takes to get through immigration and then get taxied to Duba Apartments, you won't arrive there until 3-4am on the Monday morning and then have to go through a check-in process. Other teams may differ but in my case, my line manager has made it clear that if the Monday is my first day then I'm expected in for the whole day, irrespective of how much - or how little - sleep I've had. For clarity, my onboarder is yet to confirm whether anyone will be available at the Apartments to perform the check-in process which is certainly a cause for concern...

My advice would therefore be to consider making your start date the Tuesday to give yourself time to grab some sleep on arrival at the Apartments and then have the whole day to unpack and settle in before getting a good nights' sleep ahead of starting bright and early on the Tuesday.

PLEASE NOTE: This arrangement is what I have requested from my onboarder but at the time of writing I have yet to receive a response so cannot categorically state that NEOM will be ok with this. My line manager seems fine with it but I wait with baited breath as I really don't fancy doing a full day at work after a long journey and practically zero sleep.

PLEASE ALSO NOTE: UK travellers on the direct Sunday flight will be told by their onboarder that they have to attend their induction at NC1 during the day on the Monday, again, after very little sleep. I personally have told my onboarder that I will do my induction a week later on the following Monday. They didn't seem entirely impressed with this but as I understand it, some new joiners don't do their inductions for weeks after arrival!

Don't get me wrong, I'm super-happy to have secured this role and am very excited about getting out there but admit to feeling that it's slightly harsh to expect people to start their first day or do their induction off the back of potentially long travels and very little sleep. Hopefully not a sign of things to come!!
Hi Geoff, I am arriving on 12th August.. Will be at DUBA Apartments.. is there a gym? Also how long is the ride each way from DUBA to Oxagon office? Thanks for sharing
Old Jul 3rd 2023, 1:52 am
Just Joined

chaseme23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NEOM COMMUNITY UPDATE

Hey everyone

can’t seem to find a thread with much information on bringing your dog to Neom, life at Neom community with a dog and life in KSA in general with a dog.

Would be great if someone could share their experience of taking their dog from the UK to Neom (the flight & process afterwards) what life is like at NC with a dog, is it dog friendly? Exercising your dog, taking them to the beach etc

thanks 😊
Old Jul 5th 2023, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Ausspouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Has anyone here gone thought the Family Visa application process?
I am hoping someone can tell me how long their invitation letter took? The gov affairs team seems not to know.
I'm very excited to get there so feeling a little impatient haha
Thanks!
Old Jul 5th 2023, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Daveoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, my first post here.
I have 2 interviews coming up for jobs in KSA. One is with Parsons (on a project that isn't Neom) and one is with ENOWA (Neom), so just wanted to ask some questions in case I get an offer from both and need to decide, I want to try and have as much detail as possible.

I've read through the majority of this forum and it seems to be the only decent place online to get good up-to-date information.

I wanted to ask about whether new ENOWA employees are likely to be housed at NC2? I have no problem with the quality of housing at NC2 (I have spent plenty of time in worse camps in the Australian outback) but I had heard that some people are now being housed at Duba? If the offices are at NC1 then I don't really want to spend over an hour each way every day unless it's very short term. I have no issue if I am permanently housed at NC2 as I understand this is only 30 mins from NC1.

The next question I wanted to ask was about bringing my wife and daughter. My wife is a digital nomad who can work from anywhere, but she may not want to stay at Neom the whole time and may wish to spend a couple of months each year away from the compound. Is it frowned upon if you bring your family and then have them not be there for some periods? Another thing I was looking at was whether I go as a single and she can rent a place nearby, maybe in Aqaba or Dubai. Has anyone else here set their families up in an adjacent country or even in a neighbouring city in KSA where they can go and visit periodically?

What is the work culture there like in terms of internal promotions etc. If you get a role there and then later wish to apply for an advertised role internally, is it something that is generally encouraged or not?

Appreciate any details/information anyone is able to provide. I've worked abroad before but never the Middle East, so it's new to me.

Old Jul 6th 2023, 1:06 am
Just Joined

NewHire2023 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scott78
how long did you background check take? You are a bit ahead of me in the process. My background check started 2 weeks ago

Cheers,
good day,

did you manage to attest your degree in Dubai? I am in the process just now and I’m currently in Dubai from the Uk. My degree has been attested in Dubai already.

any advice be appreciated
Old Jul 6th 2023, 2:08 am
Magicman

sqadri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Daveoz
Hi everyone, my first post here.
I have 2 interviews coming up for jobs in KSA. One is with Parsons (on a project that isn't Neom) and one is with ENOWA (Neom), so just wanted to ask some questions in case I get an offer from both and need to decide, I want to try and have as much detail as possible.

I've read through the majority of this forum and it seems to be the only decent place online to get good up-to-date information.

I wanted to ask about whether new ENOWA employees are likely to be housed at NC2? I have no problem with the quality of housing at NC2 (I have spent plenty of time in worse camps in the Australian outback) but I had heard that some people are now being housed at Duba? If the offices are at NC1 then I don't really want to spend over an hour each way every day unless it's very short term. I have no issue if I am permanently housed at NC2 as I understand this is only 30 mins from NC1.

The next question I wanted to ask was about bringing my wife and daughter. My wife is a digital nomad who can work from anywhere, but she may not want to stay at Neom the whole time and may wish to spend a couple of months each year away from the compound. Is it frowned upon if you bring your family and then have them not be there for some periods? Another thing I was looking at was whether I go as a single and she can rent a place nearby, maybe in Aqaba or Dubai. Has anyone else here set their families up in an adjacent country or even in a neighbouring city in KSA where they can go and visit periodically?

What is the work culture there like in terms of internal promotions etc. If you get a role there and then later wish to apply for an advertised role internally, is it something that is generally encouraged or not?

Appreciate any details/information anyone is able to provide. I've worked abroad before but never the Middle East, so it's new to me.
I don’t believe your wife will be able to reside with you in NC2 from what I understand from HR.

On potentially be based somewhere else, possible but you will have to scope and arrange yourself. Would suggest to look at some of the major cities like Jeddah or Riyadh etc as you would be able to use your two free flights a month. Dubai is also possible as they are now giving freelance visas. Also accommodation is a lot cheaper. However, flights to and from NEOM are twice a week and currently not cheap.
Old Jul 6th 2023, 3:49 am
Just Joined

Brendon_dxb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Totototo
hi

which company is performing the screening?
have you stated that you can’t provide an experience letter at this point? (Being still employed)
if yes what did they say?

thanks
Credence is conducting the screening.
In case you are unable to provide an experience letter and no consent to approach your current employer then you have to provide as many proof documents showing that you had that job role, years you worked with the company (start and end date proof), salary.
Old Jul 6th 2023, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Totototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Brendon_dxb
Credence is conducting the screening.
In case you are unable to provide an experience letter and no consent to approach your current employer then you have to provide as many proof documents showing that you had that job role, years you worked with the company (start and end date proof), salary.
Thanks for your reply
Old Jul 6th 2023, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sqadri
I don’t believe your wife will be able to reside with you in NC2 from what I understand from HR.

On potentially be based somewhere else, possible but you will have to scope and arrange yourself. Would suggest to look at some of the major cities like Jeddah or Riyadh etc as you would be able to use your two free flights a month. Dubai is also possible as they are now giving freelance visas. Also accommodation is a lot cheaper. However, flights to and from NEOM are twice a week and currently not cheap.
Thanks sqadri. I'll look into alternate arrangements where she could be based.
Old Jul 6th 2023, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

NewHire2023 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I am due to join Neom shortly. I am UK National currently based in Dubai.
Has anyone had their qualification attested in Dubai? What I mean by that, your UK degree has been attested in Dubai and then attested in Dubai for Saudi?

I have been informed there is no need for attesting again by a visa agency in Dubai as new requirements is only apostille, however, I would like if anyone else has done this?

Thanks
Old Jul 6th 2023, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Diplo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sqadri
This. NEOM have been saying for months now that there is no family accommodation and so are strongly recommending that people don't bring their families. New accommodation is being built, which is due for completion in Q2 24 which will house a few more families, but my understanding is that these will all almost immediately be filled by families who are currently squashed into 1 bed cabins. There are longer term plans for a significant uplift in accommodation, but this is going to be much further down the line - I'm not sure the timeframe for these, but I'd bet years rather than months. I'd be overjoyed to be proved wrong though!

Another thing to consider is that even if there was room in NC2, there really isn't anything there for families. NC2 was originally part of a group of construction camps built for contract workers and as such, the facilities are based on that. Part of it was then taken over by NEOM directly to house the increasing numbers of staff, but there's no plans for schools or playgrounds or the sort of welfare facilities that come with family living - all of that is in NC1. I'm just not sure what a family would do day to day in NC2 while the employee was working.

I'd STRONGLY echo the message from HR - don't bring your families initially until there's somewhere to house them.
Old Jul 7th 2023, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Diplo

I'd STRONGLY echo the message from HR - don't bring your families initially until there's somewhere to house them.
Thanks Diplo. That's definitely handy to know when considering my options!
Old Jul 7th 2023, 4:53 am
Just Joined

Aecom 77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably worth noting this forum is only really relevant for people employed directly by NEOM. Things are VERY different for some of the Consultants working on the project. Whilst most look after their staff quite well, offering regular rotations (8 on 2 off) and accommodation in camp; others such as AECOM will place all new staff in one room accommodation in Duba, 1.5 hrs away from camp. Instead of rotation you get 1 flight out and a flight back at the end of contract 2 years later.
Old Jul 7th 2023, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Zak90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aecom 77
Probably worth noting this forum is only really relevant for people employed directly by NEOM. Things are VERY different for some of the Consultants working on the project. Whilst most look after their staff quite well, offering regular rotations (8 on 2 off) and accommodation in camp; others such as AECOM will place all new staff in one room accommodation in Duba, 1.5 hrs away from camp. Instead of rotation you get 1 flight out and a flight back at the end of contract 2 years later.
Hi, are you aware of any other consultants working on the project and what their terms might be? E.g. Parsons

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.