Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What you can't get in Canada

Wikiposts

What you can't get in Canada

Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What you can't get in Canada - TV

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
hmm - think dog walking may be a prob -my 2 hounds need to run around like crazy - not sure "the dog" parks will suffice! hope they can go on beach in winter!

what else - my thrsday after school drink with friend !! Dont hink the drink culture has caught on as much as here!!

ohh look its twenty to g & t time!!
Mine will be my older children mum and dad, a couple of very dear friends one who still is in denial and says we won't go

Our house i know we can buy a fab one there ( and with no mortgage ) but have worked so hard on this one and i never thought we would have a house like this set in a large garden surrounded by fields in a lovely village where kindness and standards are still very high on the list and not a hoodie in sight also where our youngest came home to, where i was married from and the childrens christenings etc yes in that order

I will miss the seasons, the daffodils around the apple trees and all the primroses, snowdrops and the fact we can just nip over to France which we both love doing also the dog walking but that will be part of the crtieria on our purchase a house list along with all the other things

I wont miss the winters spent mostly indoors and the only time we can ski is to take a week long vacation in europe somewhere where the snow may or may not arrive ? looking forward to mixing with other cultures, the only ones here are american and Polish Romanian thats only at the shops. there are a couple of americans at our school, my son was quite shocked when we went to London and saw lots of different ethnic groups
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice
Default Re: What you can't get in Canada - TV

Originally Posted by sans
Certainly money well spent for me ( Have you caught Loose women yet)
YES! I love it! (but I think you might have realised I love it all! My problem is knowing when to turn the TV off especially with the time shifting option it means I can plan well what I want to watch and when!)
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What you can't get in Canada - Dog walking

Originally Posted by Esme
You hit the nail on the head here! One of the reasons I moved to Canada was the wide open spaces (I thought my dogs would have a blast) but the culture isn't as tolerant of dogs being off leash:
someone kicked one of my dogs for wandering onto his property,
my next door neighbour reported me to dog control a couple of weeks ago because one of my dogs wandered onto her property (the only reason she was out off leash was because of my broken ankle and the fact she won't pee on the deck like my boys will - she's normally very good at staying within the invisible boundaries!)
I was at the park to the south of Halifax a couple of months ago too and someone nearly took my fox terrier home because he'd wandered off and left me
Plus where I live there are too many hazards:-
big hunting culture and there are some bad stories of dogs that get shot, porcupine quillings, one of my babies was 'got' a couple of months ago and that was off season (the vet was astonished that he found a porcupine in winter). Apparently he gets LOADS of quilling incidents in porcupine season (it's a very traumatic experience, believe me!)
Ideally I'd like an enclosed yard and if/when I get round to purchasing a property if it doesn't have one to start with I'll be installing one but it seems such a waste of space!
oh dear thats NS is it, poor dogs, There is lots of game shooting round here and my dogs go wild when they hear the guns, one the mum must have been scarred at some point when we have been away from the house and will tear at the dog run to get out poor thing, thats a point i suppose we will have to take them out on leads all the time what a shame ?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:03 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What you can't get in Canada

OOh Esme - my hounds are large and we live right near Nonsuch park = so as long as no men about - especially in fluro jackets - they like to run around like mad things!!

Will def need a fenced in garden - having sadi that - scooby can do a 6ft fence in one bound!! may see me in the local papers me thinks!

Hmm coffeepot - sounds like me:
maried, separated, met current hubby - pregnant - had daughter - divorced 1st hubby, christening, pregant again, married, second baby, christening!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
oh dear thats NS is it, poor dogs, There is lots of game shooting round here and my dogs go wild when they hear the guns, one the mum must have been scarred at some point when we have been away from the house and will tear at the dog run to get out poor thing, thats a point i suppose we will have to take them out on leads all the time what a shame ?
It is a shame, absolutely. But I try to stay positive and have 2 goals in life (the enclosed yard being one). My other goal is to find somewhere safe and suitable to walk my dogs off leash. If that ends up being Cape Breton, well it looks like I'll have to move there!

In the meantime there is a website called www.petfriendly.ca that I have found an excellent resource on my travels. It also has a section about dog parks in Canada. I found a great link to a website run by Charlie's Mum in Halifax. www.charlieloveshalifax.ca/parks.html - it's where we found the
not-quite-as-friendly-as-the-UK park in Halifax (Point Pleasant Park - it's okay though) but she has loads of other places listed - official and unofficial and it's my mission to check them all out (when the ankle permits!)
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:20 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

It is a shame, absolutely. But I try to stay positive and have 2 goals in life (the enclosed yard being one). My other goal is to find somewhere safe and suitable to walk my dogs off leash. If that ends up being Cape Breton, well it looks like I'll have to move there!

In the meantime there is a website called www.petfriendly.ca that I have found an excellent resource on my travels. It also has a section about dog parks in Canada. I found a great link to a website run by Charlie's Mum in Halifax. www.charlieloveshalifax.ca/parks.html - it's where we found the
not-quite-as-friendly-as-the-UK park in Halifax (Point Pleasant Park - it's okay though) but she has loads of other places listed - official and unofficial and it's my mission to check them all out (when the ankle permits!)
Actaully -whne we went to Tornot in the summer we went into a pet shop in OAkville - bark & Fitz? They were really friendly and told us wher all the dog parks were and where you could go off leash!!

Mine will miss running along while I run or cycle thru the woods - they run off in the trees and come back some times with a squirrel - one time with a fox!!!! hope Scoobs doesnt get a skunk!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=The4BellsLondon;6113961]Actaully -whne we went to Tornot in the summer we went into a pet shop in OAkville - bark & Fitz? They were really friendly and told us wher all the dog parks were and where you could go off leash!!

Ontario is way better and Toronto/GTA particularly for dog walking and dog parks. Still have issues with tolerance of off leash animals which I think is an absolute cultural issue. If anyone's going to Toronto/in that area, there is a FANTASTIC organisation called www.dogpaddlingadventures.com that do canoeing, hiking, snowshoeing and skijoring. I've been hiking and canoeing with them - there's on average 25 - 35 people who do the activities on a given trip and that many dogs. They really have fun! The first time I went I only took one of mine and he got so giddy at his freedom and friends I had to put him on his leash after lunch because he couldn't control his exuberance!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:30 am
half a century

Seems such a shame - mine are very exuberant and friendly - and absolutly love the water!!

hopefully will find some places where I can let them unwind - if not will have to but a fiedl or something!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Seems such a shame - mine are very exuberant and friendly - and absolutly love the water!!

hopefully will find some places where I can let them unwind - if not will have to buy a field or something!!
Or an island!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:36 am
half a century

Or an island!
hmm yes!!
do they do agility over there - my daughters one liked doing that . . .
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:37 am
Account Closed

Mitsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: What you can't get in Canada - Dog walking

You hit the nail on the head here! One of the reasons I moved to Canada was the wide open spaces (I thought my dogs would have a blast) but the culture isn't as tolerant of dogs being off leash:
someone kicked one of my dogs for wandering onto his property,
my next door neighbour reported me to dog control a couple of weeks ago because one of my dogs wandered onto her property (the only reason she was out off leash was because of my broken ankle and the fact she won't pee on the deck like my boys will - she's normally very good at staying within the invisible boundaries!)
I was at the park to the south of Halifax a couple of months ago too and someone nearly took my fox terrier home because he'd wandered off and left me
Plus where I live there are too many hazards:-
big hunting culture and there are some bad stories of dogs that get shot, porcupine quillings, one of my babies was 'got' a couple of months ago and that was off season (the vet was astonished that he found a porcupine in winter). Apparently he gets LOADS of quilling incidents in porcupine season (it's a very traumatic experience, believe me!)
Ideally I'd like an enclosed yard and if/when I get round to purchasing a property if it doesn't have one to start with I'll be installing one but it seems such a waste of space!

Isn't it strange peoples reasons for moving to Canada - one of my main reasons for moving here was the lack of dog foul on the streets compared to the UK, the knowledge that I can walk in the park without somebody's uncontrollable animal leaping all over me, and the peace of mind that I can have a garden without some inconsiderable fool letting their dog wander the streets. The UK should take a leaf out of Canada's book on this one and perhaps increase the licence fee a hundred fold.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

hopefully will find some places where I can let them unwind - if not will have to but a fiedl or something!!
Beach. East end Toronto. Just be aware that they're likely to suffer ear infections and red eyes from the pollutants in Lake Ontario.

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 26th 2008 at 1:40 am.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:40 am
half a century

Originally Posted by Mitsy
Isn't it strange peoples reasons for moving to Canada - one of my main reasons for moving here was the lack of dog foul on the streets compared to the UK, the knowledge that I can walk in the park without somebody's uncontrollable animal leaping all over me, and the peace of mind that I can have a garden without some inconsiderable fool letting their dog wander the streets. The UK should take a leaf out of Canada's book on this one and perhaps increase the licence fee a hundred fold.

Well hello to you Mitsy - 1st post - maybe this should go in meet and greet!

Originally Posted by dbd33
Beach. East end Toronto. Just beware that they're likely to suffer ear infections and red eyes from the pollutants in Lake Ontario.
yup - mine came back humming from the seeweed in Brighton!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitsy
Seems like you'll fit in better than me here
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

hmm yes!!
do they do agility over there - my daughters one liked doing that . . .
There are places that do agility. Even down the Annapolis Valley! Esme (my girl, she's a border collie and into that sort of thing!) and I are going to check it out in summer. Everything's so seasonal here - which is nice, but different!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.