Reload this Page >

What you can't get in Canada

What you can't get in Canada

Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:26 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What you can't get in Canada

Originally Posted by sans
I will go in and to check i'm not brain dead
It's not really all that important, you know.

I had a similar argument with my brother when he was over recently. He was adamant that he wanted to go to Pottery Barn, where he'd been last time he came. I had, eventually, to shove the Yellow Pages in his face, just to prove that there is no branch of Pottery Barn anywhere near here.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

Anyone, just 2 rolls of wall paper
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:37 am
Account Closed

Mitsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What you can't get in Canada - Dog walking

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Hello and welcome to BE,

Maybe you could tell us which area you live in and we will avoid it ?
My dogs are well trained and don't poop in the street, i only take them in the fields and the woods. I quite agree it is horrible to see fowling on the pavements, im sure if there were more areas specifically for dogs then it wouldn't be so much of a problem.
Hello and thank you for the welcome although I am not new to the site, just have chosen not to get involved in discussions, I just got a little tired of reading people constantly complaining about a country they seemingly worked hard to get in to.

Where I live is of no relevance as people here are cable of looking after their dogs. As for more areas specifically for dogs - who would you propose pay for those - the UK taxpayer? My suggestion of increasing the dog licence fee in the UK could pay for that! However, that particular problem is caused by the dog owners not removing it though - I thought it was a fineable offence these days.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:54 am
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitsy
Hello and thank you for the welcome although I am not new to the site, just have chosen not to get involved in discussions, I just got a little tired of reading people constantly complaining about a country they seemingly worked hard to get in to.

Where I live is of no relevance as people here are cable of looking after their dogs. As for more areas specifically for dogs - who would you propose pay for those - the UK taxpayer? My suggestion of increasing the dog licence fee in the UK could pay for that! However, that particular problem is caused by the dog owners not removing it though - I thought it was a fineable offence these days.

Where do you live???? cos there is NO licence for dogs or there owners in England and there hasn't been for a very long time

Even David Blunkett(our ex home sec) was supprised at the areas in america specificly for dogs, he was keen on them and though them a great idea...maybe one day they will be a common site in our citys, one that would be welcomed by a lot of people!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Littletashy
Where do you live???? cos there is NO licence for dogs or there owners in England and there hasn't been for a very long time

Even David Blunkett(our ex home sec) was supprised at the areas in america specificly for dogs, he was keen on them and though them a great idea...maybe one day they will be a common site in our citys, one that would be welcomed by a lot of people!
I've lived over here in Canada for a little while - I didn't realised they had abolished the dog licence in UK I seem to recall a family member having one but that was indeed quite a number of years ago!! It's a shame they got rid of it really as if they had them and they were of considerable cost it would discourage some people from becoming dog owners who obviously can't really afford to look after them properly. Yes dog areas are a good idea but they do have to be paid for and I think there are more than enough burdens on the UK taxpayer already.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:27 am
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

They did it in the early 80s.....Where I live currently we have to pay to use our country parks, well to park in them at £2 a go, so maybe the same principle should apply to dog areas...living out here in the country its not so much of a problem I was more thinking of inner citys. where parks are more used for a variety of reasons not just dog walkin......out come the men in pvc again.....
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Littletashy
They did it in the early 80s.....Where I live currently we have to pay to use our country parks, well to park in them at £2 a go, so maybe the same principle should apply to dog areas...living out here in the country its not so much of a problem I was more thinking of inner citys. where parks are more used for a variety of reasons not just dog walkin......out come the men in pvc again.....
LOL I used to live near Leicester Square and saw men with pvc not in it!

The pay per use is an super idea though.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:40 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

We have to pay in UK to use National Trust land - dog or no dog!!

Last time I remember a dog licence I was about 13 (40 now) and it was 37 and a half pence!!

I think all my coats etc have nappy sacks in them for collecting dog pressies!!

I am also very generous and will give them to other dog owners who seem to not have any!!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
It's not really all that important, you know.

I had a similar argument with my brother when he was over recently. He was adamant that he wanted to go to Pottery Barn, where he'd been last time he came. I had, eventually, to shove the Yellow Pages in his face, just to prove that there is no branch of Pottery Barn anywhere near here.
pottery barn is real thn?? i thought it was made up for an episode of friends??
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon

Last time I remember a dog licence I was about 13 (40 now) and it was 37 and a half pence!!

I am also very generous and will give them to other dog owners who seem to not have any!!!
Well when you get to Canada go visit Mitsy and give her a good supply just in case
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:58 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karen1203
Well when you get to Canada go visit Mitsy and give her a good supply just in case
would do - but she wont tell us where she is!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

You beat me to it on this one - you're right, the last price of a dog license was, in fact, 37 and a half p! There are pros and cons to dog license fees and I'm not surprised it was scrapped in the UK because 37 and a half p is just stupid and shows no value for the dogs at all. I paid $22 each for my dogs in Ontario - it's $2 cheaper if your dog is neutered (which 2 of mine are, one has special dispensation not to be due to a heart problem). I don't have to pay here in Digby because I live in rural Digby (I would pay in the town centre, my friend who lives in town has license numbers 2 & 3 - ha ha!). Having said that, the SPCA in Ontario (well the ones where I lived in Niagara and Simcoe counties, I can't speak for the rest of Ontario) and local councils have even less powers than the RSPCA back home and when one of my dogs ran off once and I called them to report it they were more interested in telling me how much I would have to pay if they found him before I did than worrying about the fact that my precious pet may be running near a main thoroughfare, may cause an accident, may get run over or that I was distraught at his being missing. I just think (again, I'm not saying all of Canada, different areass have different populations with different outlooks) they have a different perspective when it comes to the warm and snugglies
NAPPY SACKS! I always used to buy those in the UK as they're so much cheaper than the real McCoy. Dollarama does pooh bags - 60 for $1 (plus tax!)

Last edited by Esme; Mar 26th 2008 at 8:07 am. Reason: forgot a bit!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:09 am
half a century

Originally Posted by Esme
You beat me to it on this one - you're right, the last price of a dog license was, in fact, 37 and a half p! There are pros and cons to dog license fees and I'm not surprised it was scrapped in the UK because 37 and a half p is just stupid and shows no value for the dogs at all. I paid $22 each for my dogs in Ontario - it's $2 cheaper if your dog is neutered (which 2 of mine are, one has special dispensation not to be due to a heart problem). I don't have to pay here in Digby because I live in rural Digby (I would pay in the town centre, my friend who lives in town has license numbers 2 & 3 - ha ha!). Having said that, the SPCA in Ontario (well the ones where I lived in Niagara and Simcoe counties, I can't speak for the rest of Ontario) and local councils have even less powers than the RSPCA back home and when one of my dogs ran off once and I called them to report it they were more interested in telling me how much I would have to pay if they found him before I did than worrying about the fact that my precious pet may be running near a main thoroughfare, may cause an accident, may get run over or that I was distraught at his being missing. I just think (again, I'm not saying all of Canada, different areass have different populations with different outlooks) they have a different perspective when it comes to the warm and snugglies
NAPPY SACKS! I always used to buy those in the UK as they're so much cheaper than the real McCoy. Dollarama does pooh bags - 60 for $1 (plus tax!)
he he - my daughters dog can be a bot of an escape artist - and takes himself to the park, across the main road from us - but he uses the zebra crossing!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

he he - my daughters dog can be a bot of an escape artist - and takes himself to the park, across the main road from us - but he uses the zebra crossing!!
Until I got a fox terrier I had never had a dog who had Harry Houdini skills and often wondered how people could be so stupid as to let dogs escape. I now know different and although some people still are stupid you've got to look at the dogs as well. Snoopz has chewed, jumped and plotted his way out of many a yard. I've had to chase him down the middle of the street in my PJs and wellies in 2' of snow before now!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Esme
Hmmm the SPCA!! When I first moved to Cambridge I lived in an apartment for a while and outside there was a very large dumpster. One morning I went out to find 2 racoons trapped inside and I called them, they suggested I get a big board so they could "walk out". Do you know anyone who lives in an apartment that keeps a 6 foot piece of board! Sadly the racoons ended up being collected by the binmen later that morning!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.