Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What you can't get in Canada

What you can't get in Canada

Old Mar 28th 2008, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What you can't get in Canada

Originally Posted by Esme
wonder why
Theres a thread from a while back called Why no quorn in canada, some people use other substitutes, may be worth a look
I don't recommend any of the alternatives here - I've been a game gal and tried them all and they're all GROSS!!!!!!!!!! The States is the place to go for veggie fare, sorry to say. Canada's about 13 years behind the UK in terms of thinking "veggie" (although I've heard BC are pretty advanced). Ooh, just remembered Lick's Burgers (and frozen meals). I will eat my words coz Licks veggie stuff is good - their cottage pies are THE BEST Canadian veggie food I've had (don't quote me but I think they're only available in the GTA although we had a Lick's restaurant in Barrie and the Barrie A & P sell their frozen food)[/QUOTE]
can you get that mail order as i have 2 vegies ?
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Robski
Ahh, so long as i know they do exsist i shall continue the great chicken hunt...

Will report back any progress
Could you not get a nice turkey and pretend its chicken. I do know what you mean the chickens here are also on the tiddly side and there labelled frying or ?? I'm new to this lark. Getting my mother to post some bread sauce mix to go with turkey (I know it's lazy of me and when I have a decent kitchen i'll make my own). Will also miss Bisto Beef gravy. Is the bread here on the sweet side or is it me - a bacon sarnie aint quite the same but i'm sure we'll get used to it.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:04 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

QUorn is the only "meat substitute" thats doesnt give me a bad tummy -so may be making trips to Seattle or getting friends to send it discguised as pressies!!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

BRITSBC is on a distinguished road
Post Re: What you can't get in Canada

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
QUorn is the only "meat substitute" thats doesnt give me a bad tummy -so may be making trips to Seattle or getting friends to send it discguised as pressies!!
You should check out Whole Foods Market in West Vancouver and also Caper's Natural Food Markets (there are 3 in Vancouver) for your Quorn, they may have it. Whole Foods is also opening up another huge store right downtown Vancouver and they own the Caper's stores. They are all great natural food stores and serve amazing salads - I shop there whenever I go into the City. Lots of good vegetarian restaurants are around too!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
Sanex deoderant - looked everywhere you can't get it.

34DD bra, only start in 36

Thank you and goodnight
Mrs M xx
You're showing off
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

Originally Posted by BRITSBC
You should check out Whole Foods Market in West Vancouver and also Caper's Natural Food Markets (there are 3 in Vancouver) for your Quorn, they may have it. Whole Foods is also opening up another huge store right downtown Vancouver and they own the Caper's stores. They are all great natural food stores and serve amazing salads - I shop there whenever I go into the City. Lots of good vegetarian restaurants are around too!
If you're in BC Carri, you'll get the best deal Canada has to offer for veggie stuff, I'm sure. Avoid Yves (but don't take my word for it!).

The word on the street about Quorn not being available in Canada is that it was not subjected to the rigorous testing that the Canadian Food Agency would carry out on any new products. The fact that it's now being kicking about for 10+ years doesn't shift how Canada feels about it as a product.

Morningstar is a range of good products also available in the US.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

can you get that mail order as i have 2 vegies ?[/QUOTE]

No, sadly, it doesn't look like it's available mail order BUT..... GOOD NEWS (for Vancouver residents!)
Now Available in BC at:
Stong's Market
4560 Dunbar St
Vancouver BC
www.stongs.com

Urban Fare, Yaletown
177 Davie Street,
Vancouver, BC V6Z 2Y1
www.urbanfare.com

(info lifted off the Licks website retail page http://www.lickshomeburgers.com/merchandise.html )

if the product has 'Nature' in the title it's veggie - they also do regular burgers. I apologise, it was shepherd's pie not cottage pie
Old Mar 28th 2008, 1:16 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You're showing off

No mate I'm not, if I want to flash me boobs at someone all I have to do is lift me skirt......it's not pretty anymore lol

Mrs M xx
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:27 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

No mate I'm not, if I want to flash me boobs at someone all I have to do is lift me skirt......it's not pretty anymore lol

Mrs M xx
Gentlemen, deep breath please:

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/coll...ZZZ&rfnbr=1171

34DD bras in all shapes and colours. I have found that anything above 38DD over here morphs into something that could safely assist the space shuttle upon landing. Victoria's Secret will disguise most south facing assets, providing they are below the aforementioned space shuttle cut-off size.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:57 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

FANKS DING, ME WOBBLY BITS WILL BE IN STYLE NOW

Mrs Miggins xxx
Old Mar 28th 2008, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
I don't recommend any of the alternatives here - I've been a game gal and tried them all and they're all GROSS!!!!!!!!!! The States is the place to go for veggie fare, sorry to say. Canada's about 13 years behind the UK in terms of thinking "veggie" (although I've heard BC are pretty advanced). Ooh, just remembered Lick's Burgers (and frozen meals). I will eat my words coz Licks veggie stuff is good - their cottage pies are THE BEST Canadian veggie food I've had (don't quote me but I think they're only available in the GTA although we had a Lick's restaurant in Barrie and the Barrie A & P sell their frozen food)
can you get that mail order as i have 2 vegies ?[/QUOTE]
Thats really funny i didn't post this ?
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:02 pm
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

For some balance here is what you can't get in the UK. Tim Hortons, who cares moving. Kraft dinner, don't judge me, if you have kids raised in Canada you know they love it too. A molson tshirt. Pancake mix and waffles that are made in the toaster. Also, syrup to put on the pancakes or waffles. Pumpkin in a tin, trust me I looked everywhere, ruined my thanksgiving. Plus you can't get away with picking your nose on the street corner bc there is some camera to catch you, and going shopping in your pajamas without it being assumed you have a mental health issue.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:47 am
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gingnut
For some balance here is what you can't get in the UK. Tim Hortons, who cares moving. Kraft dinner, don't judge me, if you have kids raised in Canada you know they love it too. A molson tshirt. Pancake mix and waffles that are made in the toaster. Also, syrup to put on the pancakes or waffles. Pumpkin in a tin, trust me I looked everywhere, ruined my thanksgiving. Plus you can't get away with picking your nose on the street corner bc there is some camera to catch you, and going shopping in your pajamas without it being assumed you have a mental health issue.
Have I lost the plot - is this good or bad...my friend craved Kraft Dinners...and asked me to bring her some back (I took a leap of faith as she couldn't remember what it was - but I got it right)...what's the fascination - isn't it just macaroni cheese????
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Harrypottermouse
Have I lost the plot - is this good or bad...my friend craved Kraft Dinners...and asked me to bring her some back (I took a leap of faith as she couldn't remember what it was - but I got it right)...what's the fascination - isn't it just macaroni cheese????
Never heard of Kraft dinners ? Pumpkin in a tin, what do you use that for, is it for pumpkin pie ?

Whats the syrup you put on pancakes and waffles yum yum, we have golden syrup and maple syrup also honey of course.

Tim Hortons apparently we do have them here now on m25 and other places,

We have great cheeses, greek yogurt, yorkshire puddings, fab chocolate and cereals that taste nice
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:21 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

FANKS DING, ME WOBBLY BITS WILL BE IN STYLE NOW

Mrs Miggins xxx
Hey Mrs M - this is a fab site for the larger breatsed lady too:

http://www.bravissimo.com/

sorry gents!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.