Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What you can't get in Canada

Wikiposts

What you can't get in Canada

Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:58 pm
The Cookie Monsters

landhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant future
Default Re: What you can't get in Canada

Vimto, I'm going to miss hot Vimto on a cold winter evening.

I'll also miss Staffordshire Oatcakes (have the recipe but not the same) and really hope you can get McVities Digestives over there. I've had three for my breakfast every day since I was 15...a while! Oh, and Singleton's (local butchers) Bacon Chops with mash and cabbage...heavenly.

Non-food items - QI with Stephen Fry and really good, cheap bric a brac and antique shops. Expensive over there.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Lovely pictures
thanks
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:50 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daft batty
Bluebells, no bluebells here
Except for the ones I have seen.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

where?? real bluebells??

I asked all the canadians i know about this, looked it up on the web and the answer was that there are no bluebells here. There are grape hyacinths and something else thats similar but not the real thing. I would love to be wrong on this - so where are they !!!!
Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:27 am

where?? real bluebells??

I asked all the canadians i know about this, looked it up on the web and the answer was that there are no bluebells here. There are grape hyacinths and something else thats similar but not the real thing. I would love to be wrong on this - so where are they !!!!
look in thecanadianencyclopedia
Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:38 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

where?? real bluebells??

Apparently they grow in the Fraser Valley in B.C.

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/fo...ad.php?t=14756

Originally Posted by UBC Botanical Garden
The English bluebell Hyacinthoides non-scriptus, does grow here in The Fraser Valley, quite well. We have been planting English Bluebells under trees, native to Europe on the Riverview Hospital grounds, for a number of years.
Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

look in thecanadianencyclopedia
but they the wrong sort of bluebells and you certainly dont get bluebell woods here.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Apparently they grow in the Fraser Valley in B.C.

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/fo...ad.php?t=14756

Cheers
Steve
ok, you dont get them in Ontario!
Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:51 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by landhouse
Vimto, I'm going to miss hot Vimto on a cold winter evening.

I'll also miss Staffordshire Oatcakes (have the recipe but not the same) and really hope you can get McVities Digestives over there. I've had three for my breakfast every day since I was 15...a while! Oh, and Singleton's (local butchers) Bacon Chops with mash and cabbage...heavenly.

Non-food items - QI with Stephen Fry and really good, cheap bric a brac and antique shops. Expensive over there.
I can get Vimto & McVities Digestives in the local supermarket & London Drugs sells the biccies too
Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:58 am

ok, you dont get them in Ontario!
I saw some things in garden in Oakville. If they weren't bluebells, I don't know what they were.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

I saw some things in garden in Oakville. If they weren't bluebells, I don't know what they were.
Spanish Bluebells??? similar but not the same.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I think I saw this, called broccoli sprout. Is that the same stuff? I certainly haven't been able to find seeds, wanted to grow them on kitchen roll with my kid too
I bought my bulk organic sprouting seeds online from Mumm's sprouting seeds.
They are of good quality and easy to sprout.
I use stackable tray unit,easy to maintain,just pour the water from the
top of the tray which spirals down to all the trays and to the bottom
tray for disposal.
http://www.sprouting.com/canstore/enter.html

Yoong
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Galloways Specialty Foods in Richmond BC carry English and European
specilaty foods.Interesting warehouse to visit with varieties of imported
foods. From the website they do have vegemite and marmite.

http://www.businessvision.net/Edge/M...5&PageNumber=1

Yoong
Old Oct 6th 2007, 7:14 am
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yoong
I bought my bulk organic sprouting seeds online from Mumm's sprouting seeds.
They are of good quality and easy to sprout.
I use stackable tray unit,easy to maintain,just pour the water from the
top of the tray which spirals down to all the trays and to the bottom
tray for disposal.
http://www.sprouting.com/canstore/enter.html

Yoong
I see they have something called curly cress but they are suggesting it should be grown in soil. I wonder if it is the same thing I used to get which I used to grow on kitchen paper?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.