Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What you can't get in Canada

Wikiposts

What you can't get in Canada

Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:48 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What you can't get in Canada

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Sorry to hear your news - my request is not the most important thing in the world so don't worry about it. Your Aunt has m ore than enough on her mind at the moment.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:12 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inse
Went to the local supermarket today,( Overwaitea, great name eh) asked for gravy granules. Met with blank stares. When I explained two or three spoonfuls in a jug and add hot water et voila gravy, the elderly lady behind us said that if we could get some then she wanted the first case!!
Ahhhh, if you had discovered this BE forum before you moved you would have shipped over a shedload of Bisto gravy granules like the rest of us

Think you will have to get someone in the UK to ship some over to you

We have quite a few 'British' products available here like Ambrosia custard (my favourite), Pataks sauces, HP Brown Sauce, Yorkshire Puddings, Branston pickle ....................
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Just plain not available in Canadian stores.

Can be bought at some British Shops (at least in Calgary) for a ridiculous price. $14.00 for a 500 gram container.

Bisto gravy powder is available at most grocery stores though.
you can get bisto granules in ontario! arent we lucky
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:35 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daft batty
We tried them at $14 for the container and actually I don't think they're as good as Bisto powder and a bit of flour.

They'd be ok I guess if you're in a hurry.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:37 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a thought
This may sound silly, but when we move over will it be a problem to ship with our furniture a couple of boxes of our favourites which we know may be difficult to get..like quality street, dairy milk, galaxy etc ( are we allowed to bring foodstuffs like that into country?)
Terese
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terese677
Just a thought
This may sound silly, but when we move over will it be a problem to ship with our furniture a couple of boxes of our favourites which we know may be difficult to get..like quality street, dairy milk, galaxy etc ( are we allowed to bring foodstuffs like that into country?)
Terese
Don't bother with the Quality Street, they're in every supermarket at Xmas time here. My nearest Sobey's even has the tins out already! I don't buy them but I had a look once and they were imported from the UK, not locally made like the Cadbury's stuff.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Don't bother with the Quality Street, they're in every supermarket at Xmas time here. My nearest Sobey's even has the tins out already! I don't buy them but I had a look once and they were imported from the UK, not locally made like the Cadbury's stuff.
Thats one ticked off at least thank you
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:58 am
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

We tried them at $14 for the container and actually I don't think they're as good as Bisto powder and a bit of flour.
I agree, doing it that way you can dilute the saltiness a bit
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Thats one ticked off at least thank you
You can also cross Dairy Milk off the list.

You can get some Cadbury chocolates, (Dairy Milk, Flake, Crunchie, etc), but not all, unless you go to a British import store or a chocolate/candy import store. My local British import store even sells the Cadbury selection gift boxes!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Lychee

You can get some Cadbury chocolates, (Dairy Milk, Flake, Crunchie, etc), but not all, unless you go to a British import store or a chocolate/candy import store. My local British import store even sells the Cadbury selection gift boxes!
Thats fantastic news, I was so worried........
Thank you
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

They'd be ok I guess if you're in a hurry.
I used to use the Bisto Best ones as they are gluten free and the other Bisto granules and powder arent. Now I use Knorr veloutine to thicken the juices from the joint and usually add a bit of marmite to the gravy. It makes yummy gravy and so we dont miss Bisto.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Thats fantastic news, I was so worried........
Thank you
You've very much welcome! Believe me, I understand!

By the way, just so you have more of an idea, take a look at the list of "chocolate bars" at the local pharmacy:

http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/...&Sort=0&Page=1

Now, London Drugs is a Vancouver-based company, but it shows you that all hope is not lost!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Bluebells, no bluebells here
Attached Thumbnails What you can't get in Canada-bluebells.jpg   What you can't get in Canada-flamstone_bluebells_3232em.jpg  
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:01 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee

But not all the Cadbury products are imported - the stuff made out of England tastes different. You really have to check the packaging.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:23 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Bluebells, no bluebells here
Lovely pictures

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.