Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Trucks....what is the appeal?

Trucks....what is the appeal?

Old Sep 2nd 2016, 5:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trucks....what is the appeal?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I submit that this is not a practical option.

If the bed is open then the groceries are rained and snowed upon; few groceries benefit from such a soaking.

If the bed is covered by a tonneau cover then the groceries slither to the cab end leaving the unpacker with the choice of unfastening and refastening the cover or flattening out and squishing under the cover to retrieve them. I tend to adopt the later course, emerging with pieces of straw and patches of questionable fluids on my clothing. That's acceptable in a rural context but, of course, the typical truck owner lives in a suburb where such conduct will set the Buckets clucking.
Get one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d_i=3147767011

or these

https://www.amazon.com/Keeper-05060-...SFAFKNXZY2ARVC

Problem solved.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 2nd 2016 at 5:46 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 5:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That's an effective approach but so is:

- put the groceries in the cab

or

- don't take the truck to the shops, use the car.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 7:51 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
My car is the #2 choice, in that colour too! Great car but try and accelerate fast and it drops two gears and goes nowhere.
Mine is the #5 choice, but then again practicality wins out over fashion and (as I've said many times before) my masculinity is quite able to cope with driving a minvan full of kids if the alternative is an SUV. I don't tow anything regularly, and the hitch on the van is quite adequate for a utility trailer or to attach the bike rack when needed.

Mind you, my Odyssey doesn't have any of the mod cons that the one in that article has - I went out of my way to choose a model that didn't come wiht options like a DVD or video gaming system. The number of kids I see glued to cartoons even for a 5-minute hop across suburbia from yoga class to yogurt bar is absolutely staggering. Look out of the bloody windows, will you please, and watch the real world!
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 11:21 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You presumably have the previous model, more boxy Pathfinder frame on chassis rather than the blander (IMHO) current model so beloved by BristolUK. I rather liked them but then the days of boxy SUV's seem to be past. Everything is curvy now including my current ride. (Pictured).

Although it's not on the list of Soccer Mom mobiles, it surely is dead in that supposed demographic. However since I loath soccer in any shape or form & hockey ditto, and because I'm, well, a Dad, I guess mine will have to be a "Ballet Dad" ride!
Yes I have the previous model- tank like, pulls the boat with plenty of grunt. It also holds huge amounts. Just eyeball comparison, it looks like it has a fair bit more capacity to the new curvy version. Is yours a Santa Fe? We looked at these but the towing capacity of the previous version I think was lower- yours matches mine for towing capacity. There is a threshold size of SUV, slightly smaller can only pull 3000lbs, bigger can haul 5000lbs- good for a reasonable size boat. Obviously trailers need a truck
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 1:51 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Manymoochops could probably answer, but maybe he's started a post apocalyptic compound to rival yours.
You called 😀 I need one so it's a little to different to just wanting one !!!
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 2:08 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
You called 😀
Ha...who needs that new 'mention' thingumabob?
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 2:43 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ha...who needs that new 'mention' thingumabob?
Like a bad smell me mate
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 7:08 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Yes I have the previous model- tank like, pulls the boat with plenty of grunt. It also holds huge amounts. Just eyeball comparison, it looks like it has a fair bit more capacity to the new curvy version. Is yours a Santa Fe? We looked at these but the towing capacity of the previous version I think was lower- yours matches mine for towing capacity. There is a threshold size of SUV, slightly smaller can only pull 3000lbs, bigger can haul 5000lbs- good for a reasonable size boat. Obviously trailers need a truck
Yes, Santa Fe - The "XL" or slightly stretched version. Good for towing 5000lbs which was an upgrade over the previous Ford Escape that maxes out at 3500lb. Contemplating getting a UTV to go with the quad so may need the additional capacity.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 9:06 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Lowes has a fab van rental where you can get 90 mins in a huge chevy chitbox for $21 all in. For urban dwellers with a lowes 10 mins away, probably worth buying one sheet of drywall (you do need to buy something at the store) if you need to shift furniture etc.

Making trucks even more redundant.

But having previously been a proud owner of an FSO 125P pickup, redundant, but still ever so sexeeeeeee
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Lowes has a fab van rental where you can get 90 mins in a huge chevy chitbox for $21 all in. For urban dwellers with a lowes 10 mins away, probably worth buying one sheet of drywall (you do need to buy something at the store) if you need to shift furniture etc.

Making trucks even more redundant.

But having previously been a proud owner of an FSO 125P pickup, redundant, but still ever so sexeeeeeee
Some Home Depot's rent trucks and vans for 24.95 for 90 minutes, not sure if you have to buy something at the store though. However there is a $500 deposit required on a credit card, so we always end up with U Haul, costs more, but no $500 deposit required, our entire card only has a $300 limit...lol

U Haul is likely the least stringent place to rent, although they charge mileage on top of the 19.95 + tax and if you choose to buy their insurance.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

My small pickup was in the shop for a couple of days and they gave me a Ford Focus loaner.
It's so low to the ground.
When I first sat into it, I thought I had missed the seat and was falling on the ground.
I only had it for a couple of days, so I never figured out how to get out of it without skinning my knees.
My pickup has a step on the outside to get into it, so I think I'll stick with it thanks.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 2:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveincolchester
I only had it for a couple of days, so I never figured out how to get out of it without skinning my knees.
I can't picture how one's knees are injured in the course of getting out of a car. Are you huge and stiff?
Old Sep 4th 2016, 2:45 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I can't picture how one's knees are injured in the course of getting out of a car. Are you huge and stiff?
Maybe knuckles?
Old Sep 4th 2016, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveincolchester
It's so low to the ground.
A Ford Focus is low?

My last car in the UK was so low that I didn't have to wait for the security guard to open the barrier at work, because I could just drive under it...

And opening the bonnet to put the groceries in the front often got some bemused looks outside Sainsbury's.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 6:39 am
I need a walk

And here was Mark driving down to Sainsburys with his mate Barry
Attached Thumbnails Trucks....what is the appeal?-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Stinkypup; Sep 4th 2016 at 7:03 am. Reason: Sorry Mark, Tesco on Monday, Sainsburys on Thursday, pension day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.