Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Trucks....what is the appeal?

Trucks....what is the appeal?

Old Sep 7th 2016, 1:55 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trucks....what is the appeal?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Our place, Foreclosure Farm, was a sensible purchase for us despite some compellingly unattractive features. Some were the result of the imminent foreclosure but some were the result of inexcusably poor taste. For example, the house and the garage were covered, completely covered, in that greige plastic shit beloved of firms that throw up housing projects. Vinyl siding they call it.

Today I looked at a huge pile of griege that we've ripped off the house. "This is no time for a Fiesta", I thought, this is why it's good to have a truck.
Me, I would have just hired a skip
Old Sep 7th 2016, 11:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Me too, if I was in Ealing.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 1:40 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Today I looked at a huge pile of griege that we've ripped off the house. "This is no time for a Fiesta", I thought, this is why it's good to have a truck.
Living the country wouldn't you just pile in in a field somewhere and set fire to it?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 1:59 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Mine is the #5 choice, but then again practicality wins out over fashion and (as I've said many times before) my masculinity is quite able to cope with driving a minvan full of kids if the alternative is an SUV. I don't tow anything regularly, and the hitch on the van is quite adequate for a utility trailer or to attach the bike rack when needed.

Mind you, my Odyssey doesn't have any of the mod cons that the one in that article has - I went out of my way to choose a model that didn't come wiht options like a DVD or video gaming system. The number of kids I see glued to cartoons even for a 5-minute hop across suburbia from yoga class to yogurt bar is absolutely staggering. Look out of the bloody windows, will you please, and watch the real world!
Approximately on-topic, we had fun over the weekend with my wife's new toy. She'd been banging on about having a little convertible for the summer. Our son bought her a 1991 Chevy Sprint ($500 plus a couple of hundred for new parts and another couple of hundred to a mate who is a car mechanic). It's as ugly as sin and has the power of a lawnmower. Fun, though, pootling around the country lanes with wind in your hair and fag ash in your eyes.

I feel, however, that she now has a taste for such things and wants to trade up. Miata, here we come..........

I was surprised looking at the ads for used Miatas. People seem to wrap them in cotton wool or over-pimp them. A Miata with a 5l V8 and 500HP?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 2:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe a Ford Cobra engine, (the Boss 302)? That brings to mind the Sunbeam Tiger.
In order to remain on-topic; my friend grew up on a mixed farm, and their neighbour had a 1950's Rolls Royce that had been cut apart and modified as a light truck. The owner was well-to-do and a little eccentric. He said the cost was justified as it was the best truck he had ever owned in all his years of farming, had lots of power, and other than regular maintenance was trouble-free.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 2:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I phoned the local builders today, I said to them 'Can I have a skip outside my house?' He said, 'I'm not stopping you!'
Old Sep 8th 2016, 7:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I phoned the local builders today, I said to them 'Can I have a skip outside my house?' He said, 'I'm not stopping you!'

Groan, that's rubbish
Old Sep 8th 2016, 8:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Groan, that's rubbish
It's Tommy Cooper's fault.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 8:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's Tommy Cooper's fault.

You've wheelie bin trotting out the one liners lately.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 10:44 pm
Oscar nominated

Old Sep 8th 2016, 11:06 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Garbage collectors are rubbish drivers!
Old Sep 8th 2016, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
How do you like the Focus hatch? Is it the ST edition? Thats one of the cars i'm looking at. (Along with VW Golf/Golf GTI)
Hi
The ST, about 2yrs now
i think its great, seems to run on fumes not gas
had an occasional clunk, on fast pull away in 1st,when wet, but had the mods done free by the dealer.
only down side mine came with summer tyres so had to but winters.
cheers jerry
Old Sep 8th 2016, 11:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Living the country wouldn't you just pile in in a field somewhere and set fire to it?
Plastic? I dunno that'd be some foul cloud and a river of molten poison. In someone else's field, maybe.

I dumped it, btw, and they charged by weight. $4 the load.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 6:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
I have a truck, (ranger)
my main reason is my motorcycles dont fit on the roofrack or in the trunk of my focus hatch
cheers
jerry
Did you see the recall?

Ford, Mazda announce recalls of thousands of vehicles - Business - CBC News

Ford Motor Co. says it is adding about 1.5 million cars, SUVs and vans to a North American recall to fix door latches that could pop open when the vehicle is in operation.

Ford said the move expands the total recall this year to nearly 2.4 million vehicles in Canada, the United States and Mexico. The company said 233,034 of the recalled vehicles are in Canada.

The automaker said affected vehicles in the latest recall include:

The 2013-15 Ford C-MAX and Ford Escape.
The 2012-15 Ford Focus.
The 2015 Ford Mustang and Lincoln MKC.
The 2014-16 Ford Transit Connect.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 12:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvy
Approximately on-topic, we had fun over the weekend with my wife's new toy. She'd been banging on about having a little convertible for the summer. Our son bought her a 1991 Chevy Sprint ($500 plus a couple of hundred for new parts and another couple of hundred to a mate who is a car mechanic). It's as ugly as sin and has the power of a lawnmower. Fun, though, pootling around the country lanes with wind in your hair and fag ash in your eyes.

I feel, however, that she now has a taste for such things and wants to trade up. Miata, here we come..........

I was surprised looking at the ads for used Miatas. People seem to wrap them in cotton wool or over-pimp them. A Miata with a 5l V8 and 500HP?
On a summer's day, any convertible is better than any hardtop. Today though, I was parked outside a shop filling the back seat with consumer durables and wondering where to put the two passengers, when the farrier drove by "time for a truck" he shouted, making a convincing point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.