Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Trucks....what is the appeal?

Trucks....what is the appeal?

Old Aug 28th 2016, 9:51 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trucks....what is the appeal?

One of the docs I work with has just bought a truck.. They have no trailer (caravan), 5th wheel (proper trailer), boat, he doesn't mountain bike, nor kayak. He has paddle boards but keeps these at the lakeside "Country Club"()
He just said that he had always wanted one... He moved here from Germany about 40 years ago as a kid.

It just got me thinking, and observing. Firstly, why? It has never appealed to me. We bought a Nissan Pathfinder that can tow a boat, not a fifth wheel but we don't want one, I load it up with tarps full of garden waste inside to the tip. I get big Christmas trees, kayaks, mattresses etc on the roof.

Is it a North American boy thing? I ask that as, driving to and from Kelowna, there were loads of trucks, all driven by men...

They drink fuel (trucks, not their drivers), you often can't park them in your garage (yes, I know, most Canadians just fill theirs with crap rather than vehicles), are generally massive so need to find somewhere large to park.

So, what am I missing? Is it that I am just too European? Am I not redneck enough? Am I indeed not male enough ? Why is it a seemingly exclusively male obsession..? Please enlighten me
Old Aug 28th 2016, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trucks....what is the appeal?

The rule is simple, every guy should have a truck! Simples init.....😁
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Manymoochops could probably answer, but maybe he's started a post apocalyptic compound to rival yours.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:03 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

It is said that the two happiest days of a truck owners life are the day they buy a truck and the day they sell it.

I used mine for moving furniture and dump runs (about 3 days per year). For my lifestyle it was a complete and utter waste of money. In fact food shopping with a truck was a nightmare as my children occupied the rear seats and all the bags had to go in the truck bed and slide all over the place.

Now I just rent one once or twice a year when I am doing gardening or have furniture to move.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:04 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Manymoochops could probably answer, but maybe he's started a post apocalyptic compound to rival yours.

I didn't say that I didn't approve of armoured Humvees...
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:09 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Danny B
It is said that the two happiest days of a truck owners life are the day they buy a truck and the day they sell it.

I used mine for moving furniture and dump runs (about 3 days per year). For my lifestyle it was a complete and utter waste of money. In fact food shopping with a truck was a nightmare as my children occupied the rear seats and all the bags had to go in the truck bed and slide all over the place.

Now I just rent one once or twice a year when I am doing gardening or have furniture to move.
That confirms my suspicions
The other thing I see which I forgot to mention was that I often see dogs in the truck bed. Do they not value their dogs? Slam the brakes on hard and one dead dog, about eight cars in front of the truck if not squashed against the cab
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
...Slam the brakes on hard...
Brakes?
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

They're substitues for horses and they act as symbols within the conflation of machismo and the cowboy aesthetic.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:20 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Oink
They're substitues for horses and they act as symbols within the conflation of machismo and the cowboy aesthetic.

On canvassing their opinions, weirdly that is almost exactly what the majority of truck drivers said, nearly word for word.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:21 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Brakes?
Yes, occasionally they use them... I didn't say indicators.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:57 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

If it's big, very big, in fact enormously big, then I want one.

Not one of those mamby-pamby six wheel excuses for a truck, but a great big 28 liter quadrupal turbo gas guzzlin' monster, preferably fitted with a turret, smooth bore cannon, tracks and no brakes.

Won't have any problem parking when I've got one of those. Won't get any tickets either... if they know what's good for them!

'Well it's not a proper truck then!' I hear you pussy-footin' truck lovers whisper in those dark corners where you hide yourselves. 'It's got no flat bed at the back to carry stuff.'

Don't need one, just point the cannon and 'Free delivery? That'll do nicely.'
Old Aug 28th 2016, 11:35 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The size of a man's truck is in direct contrast to the size of his penis. i.e. the bigger the truck the smaller the member.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I never saw the appeal of these large pick ups myself.

We have a guy at the apartment who tried to drive his truck into the parkade and got stuck and damaged some pipes, was a gross smelly mess down there. Hopefully he was billed for the damage, his damaged truck now gets parks on the street. sometimes I think people are not even aware how tall their truck is.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 28th 2016 at 11:59 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 12:17 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The size of a man's truck is in direct contrast to the size of his penis. i.e. the bigger the truck the smaller the member.
We don't need a pick up...I am happy to say

I have never understood this truck appeal....thankfully my husband can't either....but it's not a cheap amusement
Old Aug 29th 2016, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget some of these people in trucks drive on rural roads and there is not enough room in the boot/trunk for a dead moose/deer/bear/bison or whatever other animal they hit. Money to be made selling roadkill or just taking it home and having it themselves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.