Teatime Choices

Old Jul 15th 2019, 11:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teatime Choices

Originally Posted by BEVS
Might be a goer.
Sounds like it! I just had some wings and chips and a few nice radishes.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 9:11 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

...Anyway I think I might try the method of baking them with cream of mushroom soup poured over.

Might be a goer.
The last time in my Brit shop (for sausages, beer and crisps mostly) I made an out and out impulse buy of a couple of cans of cream of mushroom soup, then spent the drive home wondering what on earth I was going to do with them. Thank you for the pointer, let us know how that goes?
Old Jul 16th 2019, 2:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
...cans of cream of mushroom soup, then spent the drive home wondering what on earth I was going to do with them. Thank you for the pointer, let us know how that goes?
Condensed.

That pork shoulder, especially as a 'joint' rather than chops cooks very well in it. So do chicken breasts.
Meatloaf - mixed with some milk and poured over the meat then in the oven to cook; built in beef and mushroom sauce.
Simple curry using ground beef and whatever else you fancy. Makes a very good thickener or just to take an edge off if you used too much curry.
Thickener for almost any dish without resorting to cornflour.
Knock up a knorr style veg or minestrone soup then add a tin for a nice thick soup.
Cook some diced onions in beef broth with added curry powder then add some to get desired thickness/taste for a nice curry pouring sauce.
Almost anything you'd add a cream to, like a stroganoff, but don't have any, bung some in.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 16th 2019 at 2:40 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 3:40 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Condensed.

That pork shoulder, especially as a 'joint' rather than chops cooks very well in it. So do chicken breasts.
Meatloaf - mixed with some milk and poured over the meat then in the oven to cook; built in beef and mushroom sauce.
Simple curry using ground beef and whatever else you fancy. Makes a very good thickener or just to take an edge off if you used too much curry.
Thickener for almost any dish without resorting to cornflour.
Knock up a knorr style veg or minestrone soup then add a tin for a nice thick soup.
Cook some diced onions in beef broth with added curry powder then add some to get desired thickness/taste for a nice curry pouring sauce.
Almost anything you'd add a cream to, like a stroganoff, but don't have any, bung some in.

So this could be used as a basis for the sauce filling for my next chicken, mushroom and leek pie.

We don't eat a lot of pork, other than flattened, cut into strips and flash-fried then added to a noodle and veggie wok dish Bami type thing. Which we're having this evening, but using ground beef instead of pork.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 3:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
So this could be used as a basis for the sauce filling for my next chicken, mushroom and leek pie..
Probably but it might spoil something like that. Could overpower the leeks.

It's the go-to ingredient for a meal my wife and I invented years ago and for meatloaf. The danger of using it too much is that everything tastes a bit samey.

Old Jul 16th 2019, 10:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

So the pork shoulder chops in mushroom soup turned out a bit watery to be honest. Even MrBEVS grompfer and scoffer of all things edible agreed with me. I did add onion but no veg. It did taste OK though and the chops were tender.

II wonder now if it should have been condensed although I hadn't read it should be so.
any thoughts?

Also what should I make with a goat leg. I am wondering about a slow roast of some sort.

We got the goat leg as MrBEVS partnered apprentice goes hunting - they all do here - and if he takes a pig/deer ( cannot remember which) then they also need a goat to help make any sausages etc good.

Old Jul 17th 2019, 12:58 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Curry and rice, very nice. All pictures protected by copyright, lol. Goat is good; you could treat it like a leg of lamb and get away with it. If you like venison and lamb you should like goat. Sprig of rosemary and/ or thyme, rhymes with wine and you're good to go.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 1:12 am
Oscar nominated

So the pork shoulder chops in mushroom soup turned out a bit watery to be honest. Even MrBEVS grompfer and scoffer of all things edible agreed with me. I did add onion but no veg. It did taste OK though and the chops were tender.

II wonder now if it should have been condensed although I hadn't read it should be so.
any thoughts?
I've never had the non condensed version but I would guess it was the same as the condensed version with the recommended "full can" of milk added.

But I never add a full can. If I am making it as soup - the others here like it poured over rice - I add about half a can of milk, to avoid it being too runny.

For everything else it's just a drop of milk added per can or nothing added at all because there's already liquid in the pot.

Old Jul 17th 2019, 6:36 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Sauteed some mushrooms, garlic and chili flakes, then added it all into a 3-egg omelette, together with some of the Camembert that caretaker psyched me into buying the other day. Bliss!!
Old Jul 19th 2019, 12:09 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Spaghettini and parm'd pork.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

What are those lumps of red stuff to the right of the pork thingy please? And no sauce for the pasta?
Old Jul 19th 2019, 7:21 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pica
What are those lumps of red stuff to the right of the pork thingy please? And no sauce for the pasta?
That is tomato sauce with diced tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, onions, chives, oregano and parmigiana reggiano cheese and rind, and a little wine. I tossed the pasta with olive oil and a few leaves of fresh basil. Since the pork was coated with parm and crumbs and there was lots in the sauce it didn't need any more so I put Romano on top. It was quite good.
https://britishexpats.com/forum/loun.../#post12712236

Last edited by caretaker; Jul 19th 2019 at 7:23 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 8:28 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Also what should I make with a goat leg. I am wondering about a slow roast of some sort.
Goat curry.

I haven't had much luck with slow-roasting goat on the bone, for me it seems to work better in a stew or curry. Fundamentally, low & slow is definitely the way to go. If you don't want to curry it, I'd follow a recipe for lamb shanks in some sort of red-wine sauce; the key is to cook it at low temperature (slow cooker, or oven no higher than about 150-180C/300-350FF or a stovetop that has a good slow simmer burner) for soemewhere around 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

For a goat curry, cube the meat into 2-3cm chunks, heat some oil in a pan and sear the goat pieces; then cook down some onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric, chilli flakes, cumin & coriander, add the meat back in, then a can of crushed tomatoes, some tomato paste, a good glug of wine; once it's simmering either keep it bubbling slowly on the stovetop or throw the dish in the oven for a couple of hours, checking liquid quantity and adding a bit of water if it looks very dry, then add some garam masala when it's nearly done. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves to serve. Mmmm. My mouth is watering just thinking about that now....

Old Jul 23rd 2019, 12:40 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Burritos.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 8:40 pm
Oscar nominated

Pork fried rice with added Sambal Oelek (Powder) for an extra kick.
And since I was having it Indonesian style I topped it with a fried egg. My best ever fried rice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.