Teatime Choices

Old Nov 14th 2021, 11:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teatime Choices

Originally Posted by caretaker
Why don't you look up meaty marinara sauce?
I did and it gave me bolognese and ragu
Old Nov 15th 2021, 3:50 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I did and it gave me bolognese and ragu
Good, then you know that classic Bolognese uses milk or cream and Ragu uses white wine. I could cut and paste and post links of recipes here but I don't think it would matter.
Tonight's supper was a lovely chowder; smoked cod and calamari, potatoes, carrots, some onion, one clove of garlic and half & half cream. As a rule I tread a bit lightly with garlic and onion in seafood chowder so it doesn't mask the fish (not an issue with smoked cod, but for the calamari and the liquid it was simmered in). I had intended to use a piece of salmon for this, but it didn't pass the smell test and got binned, so the cod had to go it alone. Not a problem; several times in the past I've reserved the poaching liquid from kippers and used it as the base for a chowder so I knew what to expect.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 4:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Tonight's supper was a lovely chowder; smoked cod and calamari, potatoes, carrots, some onion, one clove of garlic and half & half cream. As a rule I tread a bit lightly with garlic and onion in seafood chowder so it doesn't mask the fish (not an issue with smoked cod, but for the calamari and the liquid it was simmered in). I had intended to use a piece of salmon for this, but it didn't pass the smell test and got binned, so the cod had to go it alone. Not a problem; several times in the past I've reserved the poaching liquid from kippers and used it as the base for a chowder so I knew what to expect.
I've been using salmon of late too , making it with the mussels we were given and which I cooked and froze, a few prawns . Adding in potato, sweetcorn, carrot, softened onion and a little all round curry powder.If I haven't fish stock I use veg stock.
I had not thought of reserving kipper liquid but will do so from now on.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 4:37 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I've been using salmon of late too , making it with the mussels we were given and which I cooked and froze, a few prawns . Adding in potato, sweetcorn, carrot, softened onion and a little all round curry powder.If I haven't fish stock I use veg stock.
I had a homemade marinara sauce on some white chinook salmon and spot prawns that I got throughly soaked to catch. It’s an atmospheric river apparently. It’s bollox in reality. The fish was tasty though.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 4:53 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
The smokiness from even that couple of cups of liquid really puts it's stamp on the chowder, but since we like kippers in the first place, it's more like sharing than an imposition.
Oink, thou should be wearing your anorak in that atmospheric river. Your salmon and prawns sounds great.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 11:28 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The smokiness from even that couple of cups of liquid really puts it's stamp on the chowder, but since we like kippers in the first place, it's more like sharing than an imposition.
Oink, thou should be wearing your anorak in that atmospheric river. Your salmon and prawns sounds great.
I wear offshore sailing jacket and bib pants as they are not only waterproof they breathe unlike the cheaper rubber types. Not terribly loyal to any particular brand, just the ones they have in stock locally which usually Helly Hansen. Insulated boots and gloves are a must.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 12:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Fermented bean ramen with calamari and broccoli, and I threw a little parsley and mint in too. With some soy and chili garlic sauce and garlic bean sauce on the side it was pretty good. I knew I wouldn't be able to wait until the meat in the oven was done so I could make curry.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 12:47 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds lovely.

We've decided to make bouillabaise tonight... can't wait!