Teatime Choices

Old Jul 23rd 2019, 9:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teatime Choices

Originally Posted by BristolUK
My best ever fried rice.
Can't knock that, well done!
In the late 60's there was a place out in the forest on Vancouver Island, was a windmill with an Indonesian restaurant in it, and we had nasi goreng; a major production. There was a thing the size of a breadpan or washbasin full of fried rice and goodies with fried eggs on top, and a lazy Susan thing (nothing personal, Sue) around it with about 12 or more little dishes of sauce and add-ons. I think the place might have burned down, but I'm glad that my one exposure to that dish was a great one.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 10:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
...out in the forest on Vancouver Island, was a windmill with an Indonesian restaurant in it, and we had nasi goreng; a major production. There was a thing the size of a breadpan or washbasin full of fried rice and goodies with fried eggs on top, and a lazy Susan thing (nothing personal, Sue) around it with about 12 or more little dishes of sauce and add-ons. I think the place might have burned down, but I'm glad that my one exposure to that dish was a great one.
Wow...that sounds like how I had it the first time, even with the turntable. I just posted about it in the food thread.

Old Jul 23rd 2019, 10:04 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...that sounds like how I had it the first time
I'm in no position to judge.

Old Jul 24th 2019, 12:35 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Meatloaf it is.

Last edited by caretaker; Jul 24th 2019 at 12:44 am.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 1:07 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Can't knock that, well done!
In the late 60's there was a place out in the forest on Vancouver Island, was a windmill with an Indonesian restaurant in it, and we had nasi goreng; a major production. There was a thing the size of a breadpan or washbasin full of fried rice and goodies with fried eggs on top, and a lazy Susan thing (nothing personal, Sue) around it with about 12 or more little dishes of sauce and add-ons. I think the place might have burned down, but I'm glad that my one exposure to that dish was a great one.
Love nasi goreng - and mie goreng babi - I used to eat at a restaruant called "the Indonesian" in the backwaters of kowloon, Hong Kong, back in the day (many times over the years I lived there.... satay, nasi goreng and mie goreng were staples, every time. Before that, we would go to the Shatin Heights outside restaurant (trying to remember it's name, lol) until it closed down, and eat the same foods... love Indonesian and Malay food.

I have one of those lazy susans with blue and white chinese dishes in a rosewood case.

I used to like going to the Chinese restaurants that had the circular tables with the lazy susan effect board in the middle, where the dishes would be placed and everyone would try and spin it to get to their favourites!

Happy memories
Old Jul 25th 2019, 10:53 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Scotch eggs, but if my neighbour happens by I'm going to tell her they are bull's testicles I got from a friend at the abattoir.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 12:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Scotch eggs, but if my neighbour happens by I'm going to tell her they are bull's testicles I got from a friend at the abattoir.
Quite right too.

Before evening before last: Chicken bourguignon ( bought ready made sauce and froze 2/3rds) with naughty chips and peas.

Previous evening: Brie Stuffed chicken breast wrapped in a rasher or two with plain rice .

Last evening: Chicken drumsticks with a jacket potato & a mixed blue cheese and beetroot salad.

Tonight: Tempura battered king prawns with a mixed veg mushroom egg fried rice. I'll have to peel and de-vein the prawns in a bit. These were cheaper and on offer.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 9:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I'm going to have ribs and rice and caesar salad.

Last edited by caretaker; Jul 28th 2019 at 10:28 pm. Reason: Edited for the express purpose of editing, and no other.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 10:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to have ribs and rice and caesar salad.
We had ribs - Stampede label, $4.99 a box from GT. Honey and Garlic supposedly but more like BBQ sauce.

Old Jul 28th 2019, 10:51 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

We had ribs - Stampede label, $4.99 a box from GT. Honey and Garlic supposedly but more like BBQ sauce.
My ribs are the $2/lb pork side ribs on sale at No Frills, the sauce is a mix of Kraft Original, hoisin sauce, Korean gochujiang paste, and vinegar.

Last edited by caretaker; Jul 28th 2019 at 11:05 pm. Reason: mind your own beeswax
Old Jul 30th 2019, 1:57 am
Stand-up Philosopher

No big surprise, leftover ribs and potatoes au gratin. Because I ran short of time before Jeopardy, for the purpose of tonight's meal I'm calling the Cuba Libre a designated vegetable.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 6:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I tried Beefless ground beef tonight to make a spag bol (which I haven't had in nearly 18 months) and was pleasantly surprised to discover it's quite good - it held it's shape and didn't go soggy, although the sodium levels are a bit high for me to have more than a small amount once in a while.

So Spag bol with mushrooms, peppers, onion, garlic (lots of garlic) and a good tomato sauce (home made) with this https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/gardein.../6000197633732 and some penne rigate.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 30th 2019 at 6:13 am.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 7:01 am
`

My neighbour brought us a bag of breaded fish pieces. It is a pot luck rejected bits and bobs type of bag. Cost $3

So Fush and chups .

I'll try and remember to post a pic of the bag. They are the 'rejects'
Old Jul 31st 2019, 1:12 am
`

All this for NZD$3. Bargain.

Old Aug 3rd 2019, 1:42 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Pork stuffed with mushrooms, onions, sausage, and goat's cheese.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.