Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Dec 20th 2019, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Your lab operates different, haven't seen that type of system in years. I check in online and relax at home until my time comes...lol Helps the lab is in our building, and is 2 minute walk, and that they allow online check in.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Went for my regular blood test this morning. Dunno why they don't put out the desktop ticket dispenser early enough for people to take a ticket but they appear to leave it until the official 7.00 am opening time even though some staff are already there. Consequently there are a dozen people hanging around with one or two having the nerve to grab a ticket before their turn.

The machine is a little like this one in its simplicity, but the ticket comes out at the front. One button, one slot for tickets. The instruction very clearly says "push button, take ticket"

So a guy in the queue that eventually forms decides to insert his Medicare card even though he must have seen the 10 people ahead not do that because there's no instruction to do so.

He jams up the machine.

One of the registration clerks manages to fix it but it takes 10 minutes in which time registration slows right down. "Are you serious?" she asks when told what the earlier guy did.
Old Dec 20th 2019, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This Subway owner is a generous man.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6323911/e...H0iSAKmwawye4s

Old Dec 20th 2019, 10:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Your lab operates different, haven't seen that type of system in years. I check in online and relax at home until my time comes...lol Helps the lab is in our building, and is 2 minute walk, and that they allow online check in.
Perhaps that level of convenience is also convenient for hackers.

Discovered our hot water tank was leaking today. Probably explains why we had a higher than usual water bill last quarter.
We'd had a puddle on the floor of the basement but the old freezer - that we're working towards dumping - gives off a lot of condensation and when the lid is opened it runs off onto the floor. We thought that was t he cause but today I saw it was bigger and I noticed the leak upon closer inspection.

It's rented so I called the power company around 10.30am and it was all replaced/reconnected by just after 2.00pm. Pretty impressive I reckon.

One minor quibble:
Before calling I saw on the NB Power website that for a leak one had to turn off the water and power to the tank and they'd only send someone out when that was done.
The power was easy and there was only one tap/valve by the tank so I did that and called.

Guy on the phone said there should be a valve part way down the tank and I told him the only obvious water shut off point was above the tank; the one I'd closed. I said there was one red line fixed. "No valve on that?" he asked. No, I said.

"So you'll need to get a valve installed before I can do the job order...have a plumber do it and then call back for me to order the work."
Didn't sound right to me. The red line looked electrical. I'm completely thick when it comes to this sort of thing but I asked if this shut off thing could be further on the red line. He says maybe. So I follow the line through the pipes and stuff in the basement ceiling and...it's connected to the circuit breaker box.

So now he agrees the one I shut off fits the requirement for the job order and he completes it.

The contracted plumber arrives and first thing he says is the shut off valve isn't working. It'll cost $80. Well that's fine, I didn't hear any change in sound or have any perception me turning it actually did anything. So replacement/installation happens along with a new tank to replace the one that was apparently installed 22 years ago.

Since the guy who came to do the work is a proper plumber - either with his own business or employed by a plumber - and installed the new valve, obviously that didn't need me to arrange it (as suggested at first) with the delays involved in that (the power company can obviously get priority action) as well as getting back to them later. Seems to me the power company should have said "any work not related to the replacement is your liability" and I'd have been happy with that. That should have been offered to me.

So I'm happy enough to have the tank replaced as part of the rental agreement and to only pay the parts price. If I'd have gone the independent plumber route as initially suggested, not only would there have been delays, there'd have been a minimum call out charge equal to at least an hour's work, potentially adding another $100 or more.

Last edited by BristolUK; Dec 20th 2019 at 10:47 pm. Reason: typo
Old Dec 21st 2019, 2:19 am
Account Closed

Oh the joys of Vancouver rentals.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...this_as_a_two/

Sometimes looking at house prices in parts of Atlantic Canada makes me wish I was a risk taker.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 21st 2019 at 3:26 am.
Old Dec 21st 2019, 4:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Pet friendly though.

Old Dec 21st 2019, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

Indeed it is which can be tricky in Vancouver.

Housing is an out of control cost in BC, especially rentals, and where rent is cheap there are usually no jobs/limited employment and living in a more isolated location up north.

Vancouver is a city for the rich more or less.

Pet friendly though.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 21st 2019 at 6:48 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2019, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

NIMBYs if anything provide amusing entertainment.

10 absurd things said by residents against a 5-storey Kitsilano rental building

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/1805...t-marks-church
Old Dec 22nd 2019, 6:05 am
Account Closed

This kid as the skills. Seems to be doing well in the candle making business. Found the video as I was looking into candle making, but can't find places in Canada that sell the supplies at a low enough cost.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 22nd 2019 at 7:11 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Have I missed the thing where we nominate the nice/funny people?
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 3:34 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I think the nomination threads start just after xmas.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 3:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I think the nomination threads start just after xmas.

Last year's turnout was so sparse that I didn't think anyone wanted them to run anymore, so hadn't bothered this year! - I normally start them before Christmas.

If you would like the Canada Annual Awards again this year I'm more than happy to start them up soon - though the voting may have to go on until 1st!
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 3:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Last year's turnout was so sparse that I didn't think anyone wanted them to run anymore, so hadn't bothered this year! - I normally start them before Christmas.
Ah, I see where I went wrong. The one I found that started on the 28th was actually a vote thread with the nominations already in.

Old Dec 23rd 2019, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

If you would like the Canada Annual Awards again this year I'm more than happy to start them up soon - though the voting may have to go on until 1st!
Not at all Siouxie, I don’t want to add to anyone’s workload and more than likely I’ll be one of the people who never got around to nominating anyone last year
Old Dec 24th 2019, 12:33 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

One more chocolate in the Advent Calendar and it's all over for another year...
Old Dec 24th 2019, 6:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all Siouxie, I don’t want to add to anyone’s workload and more than likely I’ll be one of the people who never got around to nominating anyone last year
It's not adding to my workload - so if you would like them just shout and let me know and I'll get something sorted in the next few days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.