Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Dec 26th 2019, 9:48 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
7/11 is certainly busy today, as are many of the ethnic grocery and bakery places.

If you stay open on Christmas the customers will come.

BC prices changes over the last decade, the necessary things like housing, food, and hydro have increased a fair amount, less necessary goods have largely not moved it seems.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...cade-1.5397302
Went into Morrisons today, just needed milk and a Lettuce, half of the store was closed, there was no salad bar, cooked meat section, fishmongers, butchery or hot food section, and many of the other shelves were almost empty, I assume that they don't pay for shelf stackers to come in early. Smallest bill I've ever had, milk, Lettuce and loaf of bread, £1 49.
Old Dec 26th 2019, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Went into Morrisons today, just needed milk and a Lettuce, half of the store was closed, there was no salad bar, cooked meat section, fishmongers, butchery or hot food section, and many of the other shelves were almost empty, I assume that they don't pay for shelf stackers to come in early. Smallest bill I've ever had, milk, Lettuce and loaf of bread, £1 49.
Crazy.

In the US prices for food is for the most part more reasonable, looking at the grocery store near my mom which is full service, hot deli, salad bar, butcher, hot food section the works, milk* is $2.59 ($3.40 CAD$) 2 dozen eggs are $2.79 ($3.66 CAD$) get twice as many eggs there for the same price of a dozen here. 1 pound block of cream cheese $1.50, not everything is cheaper there, but the staples tend to be a fair amount lower vs Canada, and with min wage on the west coast of the US catching up to BC, you really get more bang for a buck when it comes to groceries.

I know a few people in BC who do nearly all their shopping in the US, one is a math whiz and knows exactly how much can be saved not buying in Canada.

Canada is becoming a tough place to live.

When I visited my mom in February, I was surprised how much food she got for $100US$ that would have easily been 175 to 200 here.

If unable to work Canada is better if working poor then US really is easier to meet most of your needs.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 26th 2019 at 6:49 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 4:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a cute little house.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...18146451_zpid/

In some fish groups people posting all the stuff they bought, holy man where do people get all the money, one guy spent $15,000 US$ but the tanks are nice, oh the life of the wealthy, they have all the fun.. ha ha

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 27th 2019 at 4:49 am.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 5:12 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, that's a lovely little house.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 7:06 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone's into the darts, Fallon Sherrock's next match is approx. 3:15pm GMT Friday the 27th.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 4:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Pssst...wanna buy a Porsche?

Just the $76,700

Could buy a house for less than that.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 5:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Just the $76,700

I don't think that's a lot for a car. I paid rather more than that for mine and the speedo doesn't even work.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 5:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think that's a lot for a car. I paid rather more than that for mine and the speedo doesn't even work.
At 11 years old it's an antique isn't it?
How small do you have to be to fit in the back seats?

I was thinking of buying it and just keeping it on the drive. Do you think I could charge people for the privilege of driving me around?
Old Dec 27th 2019, 6:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

At 11 years old it's an antique isn't it?
How small do you have to be to fit in the back seats?

I was thinking of buying it and just keeping it on the drive. Do you think I could charge people for the privilege of driving me around?
I think you have to be a long way from anywhere before people will look twice at a roadgoing non-959 Porsche.

I used to see this one around from time to time, I liked the plate: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1952-porsche-356-2/

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 27th 2019 at 6:04 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 6:12 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
If anyone's into the darts, Fallon Sherrock's next match is approx. 3:15pm GMT Friday the 27th.

She lost.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

Those who can afford a car at that price, probably wouldn't be buying a house of that price..ha ha

If I worked full-time for 3 years and could save every penny, I could buy the car....well maybe 4 years due to deductions and taxes and such.

Just the $76,700

Old Dec 27th 2019, 6:45 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

...How small do you have to be to fit in the back seats?
Very small indeed.

Unless wishing to be stacked transversally, even that with knees bent.

Adults bums + femur length preclude sitting facing forwards in the back seats of those as one would normally.

It's purely a two seater.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 7:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
She lost.
I don't think so. I think we all won.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 9:35 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think you have to be a long way from anywhere before people will look twice at a roadgoing non-959 Porsche.
Does that mean a 959 is supposed to mean something special?

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Unless wishing to be stacked transversally, even that with knees bent. .
Or legs over the shoulders of those in front?

Old Dec 27th 2019, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

This is a cute little house.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...18146451_zpid/

In some fish groups people posting all the stuff they bought, holy man where do people get all the money, one guy spent $15,000 US$ but the tanks are nice, oh the life of the wealthy, they have all the fun.. ha ha
This is the house I lived in from when I was born until age 8...crazy prices

https://www.iantonge.co.uk/5-bedroom...HIL-FFM10XAMDM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.