Coronavirus

Old Apr 2nd 2020, 4:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Some time back I started a thread about secrecy and the lack of openness from provincial government and now some of it is relevant to the current state of affairs.
There have been five or six flights into Moncton where at least one person on each flight was quickly confirmed as having a positive test. The province has either kept quiet or cited 'privacy' while PEI government (one passenger was resident there), airport and airline have since been more forthcoming.

When it first happened - the province's first case, IIRC - the government said they had traced potential contacts and, sure enough, the subsequent 'cases' had a close connection. That was sort of reassuring, but they were not other passengers.

Now maybe other passengers were contacted and warned. But I don't think you need to be paranoid to wonder if there were other people for whom an arrival date and time might have been useful. Someone at the airport meeting someone off the flight. A taxi driver picking someone up. Car rental staff.

There are people who could have come into contact with 'carriers' - even if just next to them at the luggage carousel, maybe lifting a suitcase for them, all sorts.

But now it's emerged that there were people on the flights who were not contacted and the first they knew was the fluke of reading a footnote on a round up of news on the CBC website and realising it was their flight.

Anyone in other provinces aware of this sort of thing?
my daughter’s flight arrived back on the Wednesday...on the Sunday WestJet contacted her and said someone sitting nearby had the virus. He died a week later. I got the impression she was only contacted because she was in close proximity to where he had been sitting.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 5:08 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
White police versus black citizenry.. and a lot of police for just one street.
It's a powder keg waiting for someone to light the fuse. Not in this case but someone will somewhere.
And... in the same city...
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52108162
This 'stay at home and lock the doors' advice is becoming an essential feature of life.
I'm not sure what it's like in your neck of the woods, but here in my part of BC, almost everyone has a firearm in the home. Including myself. My Wife works at CDN Tire, gun & ammo sales were through the roof in March.

It may sound crazy to the Europeans (except the Swiss) but gun ownership in the USA isn't a privilege, it's a right. I wouldn't go as far as to call gun shops and essential service but that's America for you.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Federal Government has a website that lists a lot of the affected flights, may not have every flight but its at least a resource for people.

BC has been pretty transparent, seems maybe more transparent and open with information than some provinces. They do a daily update 6 days per week where the provincial health officer and minister of health give updates on not just the cases but what their projected models show, current state of the healthcare system and hospitals and a variety of other information.

Dr. Henry doesn't sugar coat things, she has been forthcoming and provides the info in a way the everyday person can understand, they explained to the public last week the projection models they are using, the data etc.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Some time back I started a thread about secrecy and the lack of openness from provincial government and now some of it is relevant to the current state of affairs.
There have been five or six flights into Moncton where at least one person on each flight was quickly confirmed as having a positive test. The province has either kept quiet or cited 'privacy' while PEI government (one passenger was resident there), airport and airline have since been more forthcoming.

When it first happened - the province's first case, IIRC - the government said they had traced potential contacts and, sure enough, the subsequent 'cases' had a close connection. That was sort of reassuring, but they were not other passengers.

Now maybe other passengers were contacted and warned. But I don't think you need to be paranoid to wonder if there were other people for whom an arrival date and time might have been useful. Someone at the airport meeting someone off the flight. A taxi driver picking someone up. Car rental staff.

There are people who could have come into contact with 'carriers' - even if just next to them at the luggage carousel, maybe lifting a suitcase for them, all sorts.

But now it's emerged that there were people on the flights who were not contacted and the first they knew was the fluke of reading a footnote on a round up of news on the CBC website and realising it was their flight.

Anyone in other provinces aware of this sort of thing?
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 6:04 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I'm not sure what it's like in your neck of the woods, but here in my part of BC, almost everyone has a firearm in the home. Including myself. My Wife works at CDN Tire, gun & ammo sales were through the roof in March.
It may sound crazy to the Europeans (except the Swiss) but gun ownership in the USA isn't a privilege, it's a right. I wouldn't go as far as to call gun shops and essential service but that's America for you.
It's not something discussed, but we don't own a gun although I know the man over road, a dedicated racist and unstable lunatic, boasts to own several and a friend owns a hunting rifle and does use it for hunting.
We've had a number of threads about gun ownership, but I do find this rush to acquire guns etc worrying. It's almost as though people realise that the 'stay at home' for months order is going to have profound consequences ranging from mayhem on the streets to burglary to suicide and, as the reasoning goes, if that happens I've got to defend myself.
My daughter who advises clients who can't work on how to come to terms with staying at home, suggests that when this virus thing is over there'll be a need to resolve mental issues. This isn't the sort of event that lends itself to good outcomes when a gun is within reach.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 6:10 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed this article this morning, relevant to the subject:
Mark Henick is a mental health advocate, speaker and strategist who worries that once the virus emergency is brought under control, it could be followed by “a sort of echo pandemic of depression and anxiety and potentially even suicide” in the midst of “the carnage that this virus has left behind,”
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...d-19-1.4878433
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not something discussed, but we don't own a gun although I know the man over road, a dedicated racist and unstable lunatic, boasts to own several and a friend owns a hunting rifle and does use it for hunting.
We've had a number of threads about gun ownership, but I do find this rush to acquire guns etc worrying. It's almost as though people realise that the 'stay at home' for months order is going to have profound consequences ranging from mayhem on the streets to burglary to suicide and, as the reasoning goes, if that happens I've got to defend myself.
My daughter who advises clients who can't work on how to come to terms with staying at home, suggests that when this virus thing is over there'll be a need to resolve mental issues. This isn't the sort of event that lends itself to good outcomes when a gun is within reach.
Guns + poor mental health, financial stresses etc = not a good mix.

I suspect suicides will increase this year into next year, between the lock downs, loss of jobs, millions will be unemployed with no savings, limited assistance from the government and its a perfect storm of sorts that nobody living today has really ever seen.

Old Apr 2nd 2020, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Guns + poor mental health, financial stresses etc = not a good mix.

I suspect suicides will increase this year into next year, between the lock downs, loss of jobs, millions will be unemployed with no savings, limited assistance from the government and its a perfect storm of sorts that nobody living today has really ever seen.
Agreed...mental health is going to be huge with this. My mental health has definitely been affected as an extroverted person who doesn't like being at home. I have extremely supportive family and i'm doing alright though. The inability to travel as well as not knowing when this is all going to be over definitely gets to me sometimes though.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

It's a qualified right. Just as, in most common law countries, anyone can do anything that isn't prevented by law.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 6:57 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Suicide by firearm is common but rarely spoken of due to the private nature of the subject.

I agree with you 100%, mixing drugs & alcohol with depression is bad, throw a firearm in the mix and it's deadly. But no more deadly than access to a piece of rope or a bottle of pain killers. Horrible subject to talk about, but it happens.

I wish to God men would speak about this topic more, I've lost two friends to suicide in Canada.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gozit
Agreed...mental health is going to be huge with this. My mental health has definitely been affected as an extroverted person who doesn't like being at home. I have extremely supportive family and i'm doing alright though. The inability to travel as well as not knowing when this is all going to be over definitely gets to me sometimes though.
And our healthcare system doesn't provide much and can't even handle normal demand for mental health services, so its gonna get ugly for many and they wont have the support and help they need.

I give myself a 50/50 chance at making it through the year, the stress, lack of support, stuck at home for months, no employment, and each month leads to a deeper hole, and eventually the hole is too deep to see the top once there is no light to be seen from the bottom of the hole, its pretty much impossible to dig out of alone.

Anyhow BC Government has made some temporary changes to disability, they will provide an extra $300 for May, June and July. So that will help us get food after paying rent, so buys us a little more time and for those on PWD who qualify for (we don't) the federal programs, the province wont claw back disability, they are also providing $300 to 58,000 low income seniors who receive BC seniors supplement.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ance-1.5519061

Old Apr 2nd 2020, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

Suicide by firearm is common but rarely spoken of due to the private nature of the subject.

I agree with you 100%, mixing drugs & alcohol with depression is bad, throw a firearm in the mix and it's deadly. But no more deadly than access to a piece of rope or a bottle of pain killers. Horrible subject to talk about, but it happens.

I wish to God men would speak about this topic more, I've lost two friends to suicide in Canada.
Unless people have a strong personal support network though, people are mostly hooped, the entire system in Canada depends on people having a strong personal support network, which is silly in a way as a whole lot of people who struggle with mental health lack a personal support network, friends and family tend to ditch people who suffer from mental health issues, calling them too negative to be around, and so people struggling tend to end up more isolated and alone.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 7:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Federal Government has a website that lists a lot of the affected flights, may not have every flight but its at least a resource for people..
I just tried looking for that. Most search results are about flights with affected passengers or crew. A federal site might be good for research purposes but if I met someone off a plane, helped with their luggage and gave a lift home to someone they got talking to (handling their luggage too) who lives around the corner from them, it's that airport at that time I'd want to know about.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yeah I miss the pub....ahhh deep sigh...

Seriously though I am having very strange dreams night after night, a few of them with my parents in, and they have both been gone for well over 20 years. and detailed dreams about friends I haven't seen in years, even dreams of conversations with people I have never met, just random faces and characters! Very strange....
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 8:05 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

Seriously though I am having very strange dreams night after night, a few of them with my parents in, and they have both been gone for well over 20 years. and detailed dreams about friends I haven't seen in years, even dreams of conversations with people I have never met, just random faces and characters! Very strange....
Me too. My alcohol consumption has plummeted.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 8:20 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

It's funny you say that Paul, loads of people all over the world are having crazy dreams. They seem to have started in the last few weeks when the lock down started. I had some really sick dreams the other night, ghastly things happened and I couldn't even blame it on Cannabis this time. The virus has got into our heads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.