Coronavirus

Old Mar 31st 2020, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by dave_j
Yes, we already see the political batallions positioning themselves to mould and exploit public reaction.
As the immediate emergency eases we'll see the blame game emerge in it's full despicable force to drown out those crying out for common sense.
This political virus might end up causing more problems than the real thing.
https://www.newsweek.com/wuhan-covid...uggest-1494914

Concealing the true scale of the problem and then implementing a savior initiative including sending duff supplies to Spain/Italy isn't likely to gain trust.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Eh? The US put travel restrictions in place way before Canada did. Testing doesn't prevent the spread (unless you know something that I don't) it simply confirms the numbers.

Density of the population is the big issue and New York is significantly skewing the figures in the US. If you believe that Canada's success was down to the actions of the Provinces, surely the same applies to the lack of action by the various governments in States in the US too, doesn't it?
Agreed, sometimes its best to be in a backwater. Canada is probably quite socially distant generally, certainly compared to places like Italy and Spain where close social contact seems to be much more central to the culture.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I think testing can prevent spread particularly when you pick up milder cases and so ensure those people aren't out spreading. Personally I think agressive and very widespread testing/isolation is the key. I think countries like Canada, the UK etc aren't testing enough due to capacity and perhaps cost. I think it's a mistake. Or could be.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 2:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

43 new cases in BC.

Total cases 1,013

Health Minister says zero chance of orders being lifted before May, health officer hopes to return to more normal life by summer. Province would still monitoring the virus and prepare for a 2nd wave in fall, but this isn't known, seems what they are aiming for.

death total is up to 24.

128 now in hospital, 61 in ICU

Outbreaks in 19 care homes now.

Old Apr 1st 2020, 2:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I think testing can prevent spread particularly when you pick up milder cases and so ensure those people aren't out spreading. Personally I think agressive and very widespread testing/isolation is the key. I think countries like Canada, the UK etc aren't testing enough due to capacity and perhaps cost. I think it's a mistake. Or could be.
Yes, I agree. Test everyone, require everyone testing positive to isolate or immolate.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 3:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

BC has a testing capacity of 3,500 per day I believe, last report I saw anyhow.

So could do about 105,000 a month at current capacity.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 1st 2020 at 4:59 am.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 5:11 am
Account Closed

Was bound to happen at some point, life labs sent an email and they are closing some locations and reducing hours at the locations that remain open in an effort to conserve PPE for front-line workers due to shortages, and to free up lab capacity for COVID testing.

Old Apr 1st 2020, 6:04 am
Account Closed

At least some property management/rental companies are understanding the situation and willing to work with tenants.

Old Apr 1st 2020, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading that South Korea was doing or does 10,000 tests per day. Its curve is flatter than others.

There'll be many more in e.g. BC who have C19 but are so mild or don't meet testing criteria so rhe number of cases probably isn't that accurate.

Last edited by Snowy560; Apr 1st 2020 at 6:49 am.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, I agree. Test everyone, require everyone testing positive to isolate or immolate.
It would seem that research in Iceland reveals that 50% of people tested positive displayed no symptoms, which is pretty frightening....given that testing the entire population of many countries would me a mammoth task.

Researchers did not say what percentage of that 50% went on to display symptoms after testing.

All the more reason for everyone, other than essential workers to exercise physical distancing....

Last edited by macadian; Apr 1st 2020 at 1:36 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
For a country with 1,000 residents, I agree. For a country with 35,000,0000 +, I don't. I thought the plan was not to overwhelm the healthcare system.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well aggressive testing seems to have flattened the curve in South Korea .... population 51 million.

In my opinion testing avoids overwhelming the health system with much worse than processing tests. You only have to look at the US, Italy ....

Last edited by Snowy560; Apr 1st 2020 at 7:33 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Well aggressive testing seems to have flattened the curve in South Korea .... population 51 million.
Has everyone there been tested and, if so, how were they able to do it without overwhelming their healthcare system?

I thought the received wisdom was that South Koreans are used to doing what they are told and less likely to flaunt the system than their western counterparts.

My regular 3 month blood test to assist with my management of diabetes has been cancelled due to the fact they need to "...make room for C-19 testing..." I shudder to think what would happen if everyone needed to be tested in Canada. Does Canada have anything like that many tests available?

From what I have seen reported here, only those that are exhibiting symptoms are being tested.

I agree that everyone should be tested. Those that are positive are kept away from those that aren't, and those that aren't can then return to their normal lives. Of course, that would then require sealing of borders or a sensible work around.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

See for example this article
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-31/...ing-programme/

OR this
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/26/821688981/how-south-korea-reigned-in-the-outbreak-without-shutting-everything-down

Last edited by Snowy560; Apr 1st 2020 at 7:46 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am aware of the articles regarding their testing and the steps they have taken but their testing seems to have been very focused rather than simply testing the entire population.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.