Coronavirus

Old Mar 27th 2021, 12:01 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Regina is apparently rife with variant cases, so I turned down an offer to go for fish and chips on last day before lockdown. When they expanded vaccine eligibility to include my age group the drive through promptly ran out of vaccine so it's been closed for a couple of days. Then they expanded appointment eligibility too so I booked one in April. If I get a chance to use the drive through first, I can cancel my appointment.
Old Mar 29th 2021, 10:18 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

New Brunswick really can't make up its mind.

Initially it was suggested that over 45s with at least three medical conditions would be among the high priority groups for early vax. But when it was formalised they weren't there; only those with complications like Dialysis, just 'regular' chronic kidney disease didn't count.

Then they announced that after the over 80s and over 70s they'd do the 18-24s because they were out and about - I paraphrase. This brought a strong reaction from people pointing out over 60s were more at risk and the government backed down, putting the over 60s back in. So I was just waiting for the announcement that late 60s could make appointments followed by earlier 60s and hoping that maybe they could do us all together.

I just happened to look at the government website last night to see if any groups had been added since the last announcement and you could have knocked me down with a feather. There's a whole new category group of over 40 with at least three conditions and it's back as originally suggested, just the conditions. There is still a group with complicated treatments etc but finally official acceptance that co-morbidities put people at greater risk. Best bit it says appointments can now be made for April.

So I made an on-line appointment, printed some forms off to take and I'm all set for Tuesday 6th.

I rechecked the government website under covid news - and there's no announcement about new categories or appointments being open for the next group since one made on the 24th. There's nothing in today's newspaper and today's latest covid update on the CBC website says nothing either.

It seems I just got lucky soon after the vaccine part of the website was updated and before any announcements.

Just mildly irritated that my MIL (over 80) could have made an appointment a couple of weeks ago but she was waiting for me and we'd have made appointments at the pharmacy as with last year's flu shots. So she's waited for nothing because mine has to be done at a special vax centre.

But at least we're getting done.
Old Mar 29th 2021, 10:31 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Bizarre that NB would think of vaccinating youngsters first. There's definitely something to be said for a national approach to pandemic response.
Old Mar 29th 2021, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This wont boost confidence in Astra Zeneca vaccine in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ast...JeEOvX-__B1gNk

Canada's National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) is expected to recommend today a pause in the use of the AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccine on those under the age of 55 because of safety concerns, sources told CBC News.
Old Mar 29th 2021, 6:50 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
This wont boost confidence in Astra Zeneca vaccine in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ast...JeEOvX-__B1gNk

Canada's National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) is expected to recommend today a pause in the use of the AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccine on those under the age of 55 because of safety concerns, sources told CBC News.
News conference shortly in NL about Covid & given that we've already reported zero new cases today, either there has been a cock up in reporting or, as is more likely, NL is going to stop giving out AZ as per the CBC story. Bad news as we need every bloody dose we can get & doesn't do much for confidence. One imagines though that with 30m people vaccinated in the UK and an increasing pool of AZ vaccines in that total, that real world incidence of any problems is going to become rapidly apparent. In other words, we're now beyond clinical trials of hundreds or thousands of subjects and into hundreds of thousands if not millions of doses given.

Mrs AX has had two major blood clots in the past 9 years (one of which damn near killed her) & is on blood thinning meds for life. While I'd be happy taking the AZ, I think I'd prefer for her to get Moderna/Pfizer.

In other Covid news out here in the Far East, we're well over our UK Variant spike that necessitated a month long lock down and back into level 2. Schools, bars and restaurants back open & potentially back into the Atlantic travel bubble next month.
Old Mar 29th 2021, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

BC reported to be halting indoor dining, Premier, Health Officer and Health Minister will have a press conference later today according to sources.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/covid-19-restr...ants-1.5366771

Old Mar 29th 2021, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

2,518 new cases over the weekend here in BC.

6 deaths over the weekend.

variant of concern still increasing, UK and Brazil variants of most concern.

BC suspending use of AZ vaccine for the time being for under 55.

Confirmed restaurants will have to close indoor dining, outdoor patio dining will be permitted.

Indoor religious gatherings for the holidays that was announced last week to be allowed will now not be allowed.

Whistler Blackcomb ski resort is also being forced to close.

Through April 19th for the time being.

Grade 4 to 12 will need to wear masks at all times while in school.

*typed from live news conference.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 29th 2021 at 8:30 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2021, 9:14 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I feel bad for restaurant owners, but surely there cannot be that many people eating indoors at a restaurant these days? Everyone must realize that indoor transmission is where the majority of the spread occurs? I haven't been inside a restaurant for over 1 year now. Plenty of take out, but no eating indoors.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I feel bad for restaurant owners, but surely there cannot be that many people eating indoors at a restaurant these days? Everyone must realize that indoor transmission is where the majority of the spread occurs? I haven't been inside a restaurant for over 1 year now. Plenty of take out, but no eating indoors.
I've eaten out plenty, don't have a problem. Difficult to look at restaurants as an issue when so many other indoor places are open and functioning.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
2,518 new cases over the weekend here in BC.

6 deaths over the weekend.

variant of concern still increasing, UK and Brazil variants of most concern.

BC suspending use of AZ vaccine for the time being for under 55.

Confirmed restaurants will have to close indoor dining, outdoor patio dining will be permitted.

Indoor religious gatherings for the holidays that was announced last week to be allowed will now not be allowed.

Whistler Blackcomb ski resort is also being forced to close.

Through April 19th for the time being.

Grade 4 to 12 will need to wear masks at all times while in school.

*typed from live news conference.
Wonder if Canada will be like Europe "we don't think you're AZ vaccine is safe - but we still want much more anyway" - clowns!
Old Mar 30th 2021, 2:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
I've eaten out plenty, don't have a problem. Difficult to look at restaurants as an issue when so many other indoor places are open and functioning.
Really? From an item about 'eat out to help out' which is well worth a read in its own right...
...Prof Lidia Morawska...the dangers of airborne transmission of Covid...1- or 2-metre social distancing rules in indoor settings did not protect people from infection via airborne Covid particles. “These rules are completely arbitrary,” Morawska says. “They just prevent people from inhaling very large particles. But very small particles, which come out of a person’s mouth or nose when they are speaking, can stay in the air for a very long time and go much further than 1 metre.”...Even an asymptomatic person can shed them simply by breathing and talking; people with Covid are the most infectious in the first week of infection, often before the onset of symptoms. In an indoor restaurant setting, particularly one with poor ventilation or reliant on air-conditioning, these particles may circulate freely in the air, infecting people at tables metres away from the infected person....
It is impossible to estimate how far airborne Covid particles can travel in an indoor setting. “They will travel as far as the airflow takes them,” says Morawska. “That may be metres or tens of metres.” ...Han Liu of the University of Minnesota has modelled the transmission of Covid in restaurant settings. “Only keeping 6ft [1.8 metres] away from each other is not enough in some circumstances,” says Liu. He cites other factors, such as air-conditioning, ventilation and even the way body heat can cause air particles to rise and circulate. “All of these factors will create a complex flow pattern that will drive small droplets further than 6ft from a spot and infect other people.” Although Liu’s study was published in February 2021, he points me towards a paper published in July 2020 that examined a Covid outbreak in a restaurant in Guangzhou, China. It came to similar conclusions.
Now factor in that in other places you are moving in, out, and around with others likewise on the move. Close distances are fleeting and people are masked up reducing any covid output the unknowingly infected may have.

Compare that to sitting in one place for an hour or two and others nearby also remaining in one place for a similar time. You're eating, they're eating, so for the time you're all eating you're all maskless with any covid output someone may unknowingly have not being limited.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 2:24 pm
Oscar nominated

I phoned the pharmacy at 9.00am to make my MIL an appointment for her jab.
11.20 this morning
Old Mar 30th 2021, 2:27 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
What other places in BC are open that allow you to sit down indoors and be mask less for an hour? I can't think of many besides religious indoor gatherings.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 2:27 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Really? From an item about 'eat out to help out' which is well worth a read in its own right...

Now factor in that in other places you are moving in, out, and around with others likewise on the move. Close distances are fleeting and people are masked up reducing any covid output the unknowingly infected may have.

Compare that to sitting in one place for an hour or two and others nearby also remaining in one place for a similar time. You're eating, they're eating, so for the time you're all eating you're all maskless with any covid output someone may unknowingly have not being limited.
I hope these vaccines work. The idea of eating out with friends again makes me nervous.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 2:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I phoned the pharmacy at 9.00am to make my MIL an appointment for her jab.
11.20 this morning
Excellent...do you know what vaccine? AZ has come under much negative press over the last 24 hrs in Canada. Tens of millions of people in the UK and Europe have had the vaccine. Only a handful of people have developed a rare blood clot, and they don’t even know whether it was caused by the vaccine.

In Toronto I hear the medical staff are stood around the near empty mass max centres. They have even been knocking on doors and going to schools, offering to vax teachers. There are over 7K empty appointments for this week. The mass max centres use Pfizer and Moderna. I just don’t get it...why aren’t people getting vaccinated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.