Coronavirus

Old Nov 25th 2020, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
don’t worry I would get tested first and isolate upon arrival if necessary. I will not be a tourist...I’m a Brit and will simply be going home.
If I went to the US, I would go to Palm Springs, but I would need a hotel for 2 weeks before I'd feel safe going to my mom's but then with cases so much higher there, she is probably higher risk to me than I am to them......
Old Nov 25th 2020, 8:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Yawn - so one class got it badly wrong - somehow - and now we're all naughty children who can't be trusted, come on!
We all have to acknowledge that not everyone will take heed of the restrictions - and those that don't then put the rest of us at risk and end up spoiling it for everyone else - i.e. because people won't adhere to the requirements the Govt put sanctions in place to stop everyone - not just those naughty few. I don't trust anyone that I don't know - and I know of many many people who are not taking precautions because they don't believe the virus exists (perhaps I'm more aware as there is a vaguely related family member who is anti mask, anti vaccine, anti precautions, anti social distancing -- basically a covid conspiracy theorist!

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 25th 2020 at 8:51 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 8:51 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Trudeau said same today. Said he hoped countries would honour their agreement with Canada, but he expects they will give the vaccine to their own people first. That sounded disappointing. Think we may look into either going to the US or UK for the vaccine.
I got the sense that it's only a few weeks difference. I think the vaccine roll out in the UK is in Decemeber, but targetted at healthcare and vulnerable, and then general early in 2021. Whereas Trudeau said Canada's roll out is likely early 2021. This is going to become the next issue, as the UK and the US under Biden are likely going to want to also support WHO policy of priorit sharing the vaccine to the vulnerable worldwide.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 9:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Depending on costs and availability in the US, I would be highly tempted to go across and get it if they do indeed get it several months earlier. My wife would be tricky though, I don't believe she can enter by land at the moment into the US, could by air, but because my passport is expired and delays for renewals long, I can only cross at a land border.

Complicated all around. I guess she could go maybe go to Switzerland, she has Swiss citizenship, but I dunno its kind of far to go and only way is by plane......
why don’t you apply for a new PP now? Even if there are long delays, at least you will be in the queue.

it seems ridiculous that non USCs can enter the US by air but not by land. We have friends here who are considering flying down to Florida.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

why don’t you apply for a new PP now? Even if there are long delays, at least you will be in the queue.

it seems ridiculous that non USCs can enter the US by air but not by land. We have friends here who are considering flying down to Florida.

It's being mailed soon. I had everything ready to go, and then COVID hit and US State Dept said not to mail in renewals as their offices were closed, then they opened a bit in summer and now appear to be mostly fully open, 10-12 week turnaround which is actually better than I had expected.

I also had to get clarification is a US$ check drawn on a Canadian bank would be acceptable, never got a clear answer, but I am going try, if they send it back they send it back. Worst case scenario I have to drive to Vancouver and do it in person.

I think the air travel loophole was done on purpose to get the US airlines to maintain basic service to Canada, otherwise chances are the airlines would have just suspended service in full rather than cut back massively, for Vancouver it's pretty limited service, Delta cut everything except 1 daily to Seattle (they did have 2 daily to Seattle at some points) Alaska/Horizon have been fluctuating between 2-3 flights to Seattle. United has a couple of flights a day mostly to San Francisco.

Transborder traffic is down 97% roughly in Vancouver, in August most recent I could find, average of 589 passengers per day flew to the US from Vancouver, how many were non-USC/Green Card I do not know, a year earlier in August 2019, average of 21,000 per day so huge difference.

Old Nov 25th 2020, 10:18 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Anyhow BC record high of 941 cases reported today.

Looks like they screwed up yesterdays stats

Dr. Henry reports an error in case numbers from Fraser Health between Nov. 17-24.

The error meant yesterday's B.C. case count was actually 706, not 941 as previously reported.

Today was 738.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Trudeau said same today. Said he hoped countries would honour their agreement with Canada, but he expects they will give the vaccine to their own people first. That sounded disappointing. Think we may look into either going to the US or UK for the vaccine.
Yep. I'm thinking of going to Malta for it as well. As a small island country they should be able to vaccinate everyone easily and then go back to fairly close to pre-pandemic normal long before Canada does. It's definitely something that's poking the back of my head. I'm less worried about actually receiving it though I just want to live a normal life without the rules and restrictions, i'm happy to give up my dose for someone more vulnerable however I am 100% on board for getting it as I know I can't be the person that doesn't want to follow the rules that are in place but doesn't want to do what it takes to get the restrictions lifted - so I will be getting my vaccine ASAP.

Deeply disappointed in our government that we don't have the ability to produce the vaccine and are at the mercy of other countries as to when we can start vaccinating our population. Canada is said to be one of the best countries in the world, so why dont we have this ability?
Old Nov 25th 2020, 10:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I was somewhat shocked and surprised to learn that Canada did have many years ago vaccine production capabilities but for whatever reasons we now have none and have to rely on other countries to produce vaccines.
I remember Bristol-Myers-Squibb manufactured in Canada about 15 years ago. I only know because my sister worked in their New Jersey office.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 10:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yep. I'm thinking of going to Malta for it as well. As a small island country they should be able to vaccinate everyone easily and then go back to fairly close to pre-pandemic normal long before Canada does. It's definitely something that's poking the back of my head. I'm less worried about actually receiving it though I just want to live a normal life without the rules and restrictions, i'm happy to give up my dose for someone more vulnerable however I am 100% on board for getting it as I know I can't be the person that doesn't want to follow the rules that are in place but doesn't want to do what it takes to get the restrictions lifted - so I will be getting my vaccine ASAP.

Deeply disappointed in our government that we don't have the ability to produce the vaccine and are at the mercy of other countries as to when we can start vaccinating our population. Canada is said to be one of the best countries in the world, so why dont we have this ability?
Maybe the virus will be a wake up call for many countries not to rely on other countries too much. Hopefully it will kick start manufacturing.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yep. I'm thinking of going to Malta for it as well.
Does Malta have a decent vaccine supply? Honest question that I don't have a clue about, and google wasn't much use - but wouldn't surprise me if they are behind Canada?! (although I'm about as far from an expert on Malta as one can be)

Old Nov 26th 2020, 12:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
I remember Bristol-Myers-Squibb manufactured in Canada about 15 years ago. I only know because my sister worked in their New Jersey office.

Canada can produce some vaccines, but the Pfizer one is new tech and Canada doesn't have the tech for it, first time that tech has even led to a vaccine. Canada could produce some smaller amounts of the AstraZeneca vaccine, however Canada didn't even negotiate for licensing rights to produce any of the vaccines, so unless that happens none will be produced here but the Pfizer one Canada doesn't have the facilities for, but other ones we do on a small scale which is better than nothing that they appear to be taking.

The signs were clear for months Canada would not get vaccine supply at the same time as its peers.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 26th 2020 at 12:06 am.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

I believe France is going to start vaccinating in December. First priority will be teachers, health workers and workers. European countries are ready to begin the vaccinations very soon and each have different priorities. I think Uk starts with over 85's, those in elder care homes, and also health care workers. So I imagine that the USA nCanada may also have their own distribution priorities. There is also that thing about getting the first vac. and then a month later the second booster vac. Evidently it is very important to get the follow up dose.

Its going to get complicated. I hope there won't be massive rebellion and protests about who gets it first. 😬
Riots are such germ spreading events.

Old Nov 26th 2020, 12:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well after Newsom in California, Cuomo in NY now Denver's own Mayor Hancock has joined in, quite the splash in the local media. How hard is it to do as you preach?
Old Nov 26th 2020, 4:53 am
Account Closed

This man from Edmonton was only 40. He posted his experience on Instagram up until shortly before his death.

Nov 20- At ER has as his breathing became worse, still awaiting test results at this point. Later in the day posted he had a fever pushing 40C and suffering from chills.

Nov 21- Signs of improvement and reduction in fever, waiting on chest x-ray. X-ray shows likely COVID, symptoms worsen, but he is sent home. Test confirms COVID, takes OTC medications.

Nov 22- Woke up with extreme chills, other symptoms appearing, extreme fatigue.

Nov 23- Suffering badly having hard time keep updates going, basic things like brushing teeth and chewing difficult, going up stairs a daunting task.

Nov- 23 later in the day, last update he made. Breathing has become difficult, every few breaths goes into coughing fits, it's brutal.

Nov- 24 Dead.

He had no known underlying conditions that his family is aware of.

Article here.

*Note, I did not write his instagram updates word for word, they are generalizations based on his posts, for his full posts here is his IG page.

Update on the 37 year old women in Abbotsford, BC her baby was able to go home today, but the baby's mom is still in an induced coma on a ventilator which is going on 2 or 3 weeks now. The baby had to be delivered via emergency C section, the baby spent 2 weeks in hospital, but was COVID free at birth.

Family doesn't know where she contracted the virus, she was never linked to any known cases or outbreaks.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...born-1.5816787

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 26th 2020 at 5:14 am.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 6:02 am
Account Closed

"An expansion for a National Research Council facility in Montreal that could be making one of the leading COVID-19 vaccine candidates has been delayed by months."

But of course even if the facility construction was on schedule, Canada still hasn't negotiated any licensing rights t actually produce any of the vaccines.

The government spent $44 million to expand this facility, construction was due to be completed by now, and could produce 250,000 vaccines per month.

Trudeau blaming the 10 years of Harper Gov't for the lack of vaccine capacity in Canada.

The NRC facility won't be ready until mid 2021. And this tidbit the space they were planning to use, someone realized this fall it wasn't adequate to manufacture vaccines and maintain Good Manufacturing Practice, the facility space was originally planned as part of the partnership NRC had with CanSino Biologics, a China based company, but that deal fell apart after drama with Chinese officials, never would have seen that coming....

In August the government pledged another $126 million for a larger manufacturing center at NRC, but it won't be ready for at least 2 years, University of Saskatchewan’s VIDO-InterVac facility also received a sizeable investment, but their facility is at least a year away.

US and UK ordered Pfizer vaccines several weeks before Canada.

Canada did place order with Moderna before the US and UK, but the US helped finance Moderna so likely pushes the US to the front for that one, those who provide the funding get to be first in line.

Canada was one of the last countries to place an order for the AstraZeneca vaccine. Had the Montreal facility construction been on time, AstraZeneca vaccine could have been produced there.

A government’s vaccine task force member hopes Canada will at least be in the first 5 countries to receive vaccines.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...d-construction

Could almost turn this into a made for TV movie.

I'd have thought with the SARS scare, Canada would have at least thought maybe a worse pandemic might happen and invest a bit, but seems Canada was a dollar short and a day late.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.