Coronavirus

Old Dec 6th 2021, 11:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by printer
I have a friend who retired 2 years ago, he is approaching 70 and said that the next 10 years are vital for doing all those travel related things he had planned before ill health occurs and more importantly before travel insurance becomes too costly. He now feels that he has lost the first two years of his plans, having made a few trips within BC but not to the US where they often went for winter and a big European trip that was cancelled. The idea of a cruise was also scrapped and is on back burner. He is feeling pretty miffed right now. I think his situation is quite common amongst the retired or almost retired generation, these are years we will never get back. The family special celebrations that come round only once, grandmas 100th, Bert and Bettys golden anniversary and many more besides. We have stayed in when told, wore masks, had 2 or 3 shots, avoided certain things and even lost jobs in the last 2 years yet here we are looking at another Christmas season that will certainly not be normal for everyone.
Normal has changed. Travel is less available now. Oh dear, what a shame, never mind.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
I have a friend who retired 2 years ago, he is approaching 70 and said that the next 10 years are vital for doing all those travel related things he had planned before ill health occurs and more importantly before travel insurance becomes too costly. He now feels that he has lost the first two years of his plans, having made a few trips within BC but not to the US where they often went for winter and a big European trip that was cancelled. The idea of a cruise was also scrapped and is on back burner. He is feeling pretty miffed right now. I think his situation is quite common amongst the retired or almost retired generation, these are years we will never get back. The family special celebrations that come round only once, grandmas 100th, Bert and Bettys golden anniversary and many more besides. We have stayed in when told, wore masks, had 2 or 3 shots, avoided certain things and even lost jobs in the last 2 years yet here we are looking at another Christmas season that will certainly not be normal for everyone.
Yep.

I'm certainly glad we ignored a large chunk of the covid advice as we would have missed out the last year of my grandparents life, both of whom passed away this year. (Of cancer, not covid.)

Another reason I want to travel while i'm young. Waiting until you retire and are more likely to suffer from health complications, to enjoy life, sounds so backwards.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 3:34 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
It is my concern that large crowds waiting for hours in airport arrival halls just to get one of these tests is just an added risk of getting infected. I have the same concerns regarding the checking of additional documents upon arrival, and also seen the long queues at Pearson airport shortly after the introduction of the new regulation.
The beauty of Pearson is that you could wait 3 hours to be tested when you land and yet your luggage still would not have likely made it from the plane to the conveyor belt.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yep.

I'm certainly glad we ignored a large chunk of the covid advice as we would have missed out the last year of my grandparents life, both of whom passed away this year. (Of cancer, not covid.)

Another reason I want to travel while i'm young. Waiting until you retire and are more likely to suffer from health complications, to enjoy life, sounds so backwards.
Backwards... yes, I agree with you there, I see it the same way.... both my parents died young. 48 and 56... so I think that gave me a more of a "live for today" attitude, but at the sane time try and keep a little bit for the future too....

I am not putting a great deal away for the future as I am using the money to do the things now that people normally do when they are retired... its a gamble I guess, but I have seen too many people miss out on life saving it for their "golden years" its still a very fine balance...
Old Dec 6th 2021, 4:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
The beauty of Pearson is that you could wait 3 hours to be tested when you land and yet your luggage still would not have likely made it from the plane to the conveyor belt.
Very true.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

At my age a crowded airport, a cab, an airplane stuffed with people for 10 hours, Just a nightmare, And... the threat of a case of CovSarsas well, No thanks.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
This is exactly what I am afraid of.

I've also heard of people having lost the suitcase at Pearson in the baggage claim area, as the wait in arrivals / immigration was so long due to all this ridiculous extra bureaucracy.

And regardless of whatever ridiculous travel testing regulation Omicron will dominate in the UK as well as in Canada. I'd say this is way before Easter, maybe already in Feb. or March.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 7:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango

I've also heard of people having lost the suitcase at Pearson in the baggage claim area, as the wait in arrivals / immigration was so long due to all this ridiculous extra bureaucracy.

I wouldn't worry about the luggage, eventually the airline will put it in a cab.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 7:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I wouldn't worry about the luggage, eventually the airline will put it in a cab.
but where will they send it to?
Old Dec 6th 2021, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have personal experience on this? I've always wondered if this ever actually happens, lol.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 8:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Do you have personal experience on this? I've always wondered if this ever actually happens, lol.
Not here but in the US…I know people who have lost luggage never to see it again. Hang on…my neighbor recently went on a trip and the luggage was lost. They eventually got it back but it ruined their vaycay.

Top tip…always carry in your hand luggage enough clothes for a couple of days and those items you can’t afford to lose.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 11:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Yes. The first time it happened by accident, I waited a couple of hours for the bag and it wasn't unloaded so I went home. The next week it turned up. After that I didn't stopped trying to collect the bag and just waited for it to turn up. I suppose I did that in Toronto a couple of dozen times. It doesn't work so well on the outbound journey though, your bags ends up following you around America or Europe, or wherever, always one day behind where you are. That happened a few times, always when there was a tight connection, I made it but the bag didn't.

I understand that, post-911, bags are supposed to be on the same planes as the owners but I know that not to be reliably the case (pun intended).
Old Dec 7th 2021, 12:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
but where will they send it to?
They send it to King of Prussia, after you've presented there and then to Chicago just as you leave. After that it gets to Laramie when you're leaving the university and to San Francisco while you're at the launch party. Ultimately they send it to your home address. Same with Amsterdam, London, Belfast, London. I don't know why the bag has to take all the same flights as the passenger only a day later, in both those examples I tried to get the bag ahead one stop but the airline wouldn't do it. Hey-ho, saves packing for the next trip if the bag comes home unopened.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 12:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

They send it to King of Prussia, after you've presented there and then to Chicago just as you leave. After that it gets to Laramie when you're leaving the university and to San Francisco while you're at the launch party. Ultimately they send it to your home address. Same with Amsterdam, London, Belfast, London. I don't know why the bag has to take all the same flights as the passenger only a day later, in both those examples I tried to get the bag ahead one stop but the airline wouldn't do it. Hey-ho, saves packing for the next trip if the bag comes home unopened.
Never thought of the last bit, but hey ho, there is a light at the end of every tunnel.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 12:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Never thought of the last bit, but hey ho, there is a light at the end of every tunnel.
The light at the end of that tunnel was WebEx!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.