Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:35 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Have fun in Florence! Are you just travelling over for the day and then going straight back to Gallipoli or heading elsewhere?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by PAT M
Hi Joan,

Fancy that! Yes, we found out recently that we had a Lidl closer to us in Parabita. We are in Umbria at the moment visiting our son, just arrived today. What brought you to Gallipoli, is it a holiday home or have you relocated? We have been here three years come next January, but have decided to return to London if we find a buyer for our house, we miss family too much. Until then though we are having fun and planning to visit Florence on Sunday. Lovely to hear from you, keep in touch.

Regards Pat
Dear Pat,
Thank you so much for replying. Well actually I have been coming here for the past 22 years because OH is from Taviano. We have our holiday home at Mancaversa where we had been living for the past 3 years when we returned from Milan, but I couldn't take another winter on my own in the marina (hubby works long hours and travels a lot and son goes to school at Lecce, today he's on strike!) so we bought the flat in Gallipoli.

Hope you have a lovely time visiting your son (my daughter is at Uni in Milan and my other son works there). I went to Perugia and found it gorgeous, just a bit steep - I must be getting lazy. I am all right going down Corso Roma but the thought of coming back, phew! Florence is breathtaking especially the cathedral. Another wonderful town nearby is Lucca with its amazing outer walls.

I can understand about missing family and even more, dear old England! In fact I am going back on Tuesday until the end of the month to visit mum who is very ill and see dad and my two sisters and their families. They moved from
Tilbury to Felixstowe and Ipswich in Surrey which is obviously much nicer.

Will definitely keep in touch and if you like, I can give you a lift to Lidl's, of course only Mondays or Thursdays when the offers start!

Lovely to speak to you, take care

Joan
Old Oct 8th 2010, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Have fun in Florence! Are you just travelling over for the day and then going straight back to Gallipoli or heading elsewhere?
Thanks TestaRossa, yes we plan to spend a day in Florence to take in the wonders of the Uffizi, we didn't get a chance last time. We are planning to spend some time up here, it's nice to have our son around, and in return for cooking and cleaning for him , we have the use of a wonderful room with a view over the hills around Spoleto, fantastic. We are going foraging for mushrooms tomorrow, I'll post here if we find any. We'd also like to see Rome again while we are here.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pugliese
Dear Pat,
Thank you so much for replying. Well actually I have been coming here for the past 22 years because OH is from Taviano. We have our holiday home at Mancaversa where we had been living for the past 3 years when we returned from Milan, but I couldn't take another winter on my own in the marina (hubby works long hours and travels a lot and son goes to school at Lecce, today he's on strike!) so we bought the flat in Gallipoli.

Hope you have a lovely time visiting your son (my daughter is at Uni in Milan and my other son works there). I went to Perugia and found it gorgeous, just a bit steep - I must be getting lazy. I am all right going down Corso Roma but the thought of coming back, phew! Florence is breathtaking especially the cathedral. Another wonderful town nearby is Lucca with its amazing outer walls.

I can understand about missing family and even more, dear old England! In fact I am going back on Tuesday until the end of the month to visit mum who is very ill and see dad and my two sisters and their families. They moved from
Tilbury to Felixstowe and Ipswich in Surrey which is obviously much nicer.

Will definitely keep in touch and if you like, I can give you a lift to Lidl's, of course only Mondays or Thursdays when the offers start!

Lovely to speak to you, take care

Joan
Hi Joan,

Well it certainly is a small world, I know Mancaversa and Torre Suda! I am sure that you find Gallipoli more lively in the winter though. When you're back from England, and we are back down in Puglia, it would be lovely to meet up for an icecream in Martinucci's and swap stories. I loved the story about the drunken english sailors bringing the leather football to Gallipoli. I hope your visit to see your Mum and family goes well and I of course wish your Mum a speedy recovery. Take care.

Kindest regards,

Pat
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Hi Joan,

Well it certainly is a small world, I know Mancaversa and Torre Suda! I am sure that you find Gallipoli more lively in the winter though. When you're back from England, and we are back down in Puglia, it would be lovely to meet up for an icecream in Martinucci's and swap stories. I loved the story about the drunken english sailors bringing the leather football to Gallipoli. I hope your visit to see your Mum and family goes well and I of course wish your Mum a speedy recovery. Take care.

Kindest regards,

Pat
Dear Pat,
Thank you for your kind words and it would be great to meet you. What brought you here to the Salento? In the meantime we can stay in touch via this forum or feel free to PM me.

Kindest regards
Joan

Kindest regards
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

OH went to Campo de'Fiori market in Rome today and amongst many products found parsnips.
Only they were selling them at 12 euro a kg.!!!
I think I will wait for OH to get them from Tesco in 2 weeks time.The kids love them roasted with potatoes.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isakat
OH went to Campo de'Fiori market in Rome today and amongst many products found parsnips.
Only they were selling them at 12 euro a kg.!!!
I think I will wait for OH to get them from Tesco in 2 weeks time.The kids love them roasted with potatoes.
here in abruzzo i grow my own but at 600 mts sm its not easy i find the best way is to grow from seed in peat pots and tranplant out when big enugh , i think if i took my labour into count 12es would not be far out . o but the taste out of this world
Old Oct 27th 2010, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

We are at 400 m. and OH has sucessfully grown parsnips.They take ages to come through. I have frozen a few bags to make soup as the kids love them. As OH goes to the UK often, I am happy with some organic parsnips from the UK supermarkets.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

something that I really miss here are the lovely English biscuits. My favourites are Garibaldis (did you know they were actually named in honour of the famous Italian general who loved them during his stay in England?). I even bought a packet of currants back from the UK and tried to make them but it was a disaster. Another bikky I love are fig biscuits. Mulino Bianco used to make "Settembrini" which were quite similar but no longer make them. I tried to find a recipe and came up with "cucciddati" which are a Sicilian speciality but seem a lot of work. I was wondering if anybody had made them because I don't want another disaster. When you think about it, it is strange that fig biscuits are so popular in the UK because they don't grow there. Anyone have any answers?

Joan
Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:41 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

There is another brand of Fig biscuits available here....I think they are in the Pennymarket if you have one down there? Also for a Garabaldi like biscuit try Vitasnella crackers (their name!) with fruits of the forest in. My kids love them and they are basically garibaldi biccies but with more than currants in.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, Testarossa. We do have a Pennymarket here and I will see if I can find the figgy biscuits. I have never tried the Vitasnella ones.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 1:17 pm
The Original Red Head!

I like most of the Vitasnella range - in fact they do fig like biccies too, which I'd forgotten, but with orange or prune!! They are very tasty though! They are a good brand alternative to the ubiquitous Mulino....I can remember coming here in the late '90's and Mulino was quite a small range and never heard of in the Uk except in deli's, we used to bring bags of their fig and apple filled biccies back - neither of which they seem to do now like you say. I find most of their offerings, now, really dry and tasteless in the biccie ranges anyway...I'm wondering if Barilla bought them out - it was a bad move if they did..
Old Nov 13th 2010, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomorrow I am going to try out a lovely recipe I saw on This Morning, ITV, a Gino D'Campo recipe, Agnello in Vino Rosso, Lamb shanks in red wine , served on Italian mash. We scoured around for the ingredients, and found lamb shanks in Auchan, near Taranto (lucky we were in the area at the time, it's a 3 hours round trip or more). Look up the recipe, it's sounds wonderful. ITV.com/this morning.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

dina1965 will become famous soon enoughdina1965 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
There is another brand of Fig biscuits available here....I think they are in the Pennymarket if you have one down there? Also for a Garabaldi like biscuit try Vitasnella crackers (their name!) with fruits of the forest in. My kids love them and they are basically garibaldi biccies but with more than currants in.
mcvities fruit crackers are great as well (apple and chocolate are my favourites) ...
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Tomorrow I am going to try out a lovely recipe I saw on This Morning, ITV, a Gino D'Campo recipe, Agnello in Vino Rosso, Lamb shanks in red wine , served on Italian mash. We scoured around for the ingredients, and found lamb shanks in Auchan, near Taranto (lucky we were in the area at the time, it's a 3 hours round trip or more). Look up the recipe, it's sounds wonderful. ITV.com/this morning.
I love watching Gino He's really funny. I know he probably plays on the fact that he's italian but the other morning he said to Holly that she had been 'pregnatised' Some morning her and Philip Schofield cant go on cos they are laughing so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.