Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

jenny g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Good morning to you all!! I would like some food shopping shipped over in time for xmas..does anyone know of a company that will deliver here, without charging the earth. Any replies much appreciated!!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:05 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by jenny g
Good morning to you all!! I would like some food shopping shipped over in time for xmas..does anyone know of a company that will deliver here, without charging the earth. Any replies much appreciated!!
Hi Jenny,

There have been a few mentions of having a specific food and drinks thread for Italy so I'm going to open one now, put this post in there and then delete this thread.

Hope you don't mind.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Nov 25th 2009 at 7:47 am.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:15 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Just a thought but have you any family in the UK that could send you some stuff? It's bound to be cheaper than those British on-line food shop places.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 1:37 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

If you've just moved and have a redirection service in place you could just get somebody to post a box using the standard parcels (not signed for) UK rate to your 'old' UK address. It will be redirected via airmail to your 'new' Italian address and you bypass the 2kg max weight limit of the European airmail service. It's fairly cheap sending a parcel up to 10kg IIRC. Only downside is the competence of the UK postal workers, i.e. likely to be some type of ****-up. I did this myself and it worked sometimes, other times they still tried to delivery to my 'old' address even tho there was a redirection service in place. Took calls to the sorting office to resolve.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

davehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant future

bloomin eck! now i know why u.k postal service recons they cant afford pay rises for thier staff. all that cider being shipped to duffer for uk shipping prices
Old Nov 25th 2009, 2:56 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a 30kilo box on the way via mailboxes in preston. It's not cheap at £45 but you can get a hell of a lot of stuff in it (i'll take a photo when it arrives and you'll see what I mean) and it's door to door. After a few goes we worked out that if we send it on Tues it's here by Fri or at the latest Mon. If someone can pack for you, you could shop on line and have it delivered to them.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by 37100
I've got a 30kilo box on the way via mailboxes in preston. It's not cheap at £45 but you can get a hell of a lot of stuff in it (i'll take a photo when it arrives and you'll see what I mean) and it's door to door. After a few goes we worked out that if we send it on Tues it's here by Fri or at the latest Mon. If someone can pack for you, you could shop on line and have it delivered to them.
Yep - 30 kilos is a lot. At least double what Ryan Air let you have in your case and no chance of getting your pickles or salad cream confiscated !
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

My mum just had MY mincemeat confiscated from her hand luggage. She also had some in her suitcase though
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

I also have a genuine food question. I need advice on the names of cuts of beef.

1. What is the best for long slow stewing
2. What is best for making a roast
3. What do you buy when you want to fry some steak.

After five years I still find it hit and miss. Sometimes I manage to make something really tender and the children woof it down. Other times its so chewy that even a dog wouldn't touch it.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Good evening to you...which postal/couries service did you use?? would you mind sending me the link?? Byeeee
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Just a thought but have you any family in the UK that could send you some stuff? It's bound to be cheaper than those British on-line food shop places.
Just to let you know, i had thought of using the Britishonlinesupermarket....but when i have tried phoning them no one ever answers,i have also sent an email, and i am blowed if i will leave a message on the voice mail!!!. I have a sneaky feeling that had i ordered on line..it would probably have been a rip off!!!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:12 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Good evening to you...which postal/couries service did you use?? would you mind sending me the link?? Byeeee
I use these http://www.mbe.co.uk/, but our preston one has different charges to the ones quoted so you need to ask personally.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:08 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

British Corner Shop is reliable and only £15 for up to 50kg as I remember but individual items aren't cheap. I've used them once then realised £84 on crunchies really wasn't a great idea.....It is good for ordering things like liquids that you'd have to stick in your case otherwise though. I ordered Ribena through them.

Livinghere - I do know the answer but can't think right now! I never use the roast beef cut for a roast - it is too tough! If you can find a piece of sirloin which I think is lombatto (?) it is the best for a good roast. I'll check the names tomorrow, I'm off to the supermarket then anyway. Spezzatina (sic) is for long, slow stewing, ideally about 4-5 hours. I've cooked it in about 3 but it isn't melt in your mouth by then. I stove top it first to braise then bring it all to the boil and stick it in a cool oven - about 140, but it goes in boiling first. If you do get a bistecca the eye is fillet and the other side of the bone is sirloin, so you could cook them as separate steaks if you wanted to. I'll come back with some more tomorrow, hope some of this helps!

Actually, it looks like I've answered your queries without intending to!! For frying get fillet or the very thin steaks but they are literally a few minutes each side or they will shrink! If you over cook or like it well done it will always be tough irrespective of the cut. You should always have a little blood if you want it tender to eat. You can also give the steak a good bashing in cling film before you cook it and this will enable it to be cooked a little longer and still be tender. Don't over bash as you will end up with baby food!!

Last edited by TestaRossa; Nov 25th 2009 at 10:12 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:11 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davehornet6
bloomin eck! now i know why u.k postal service recons they cant afford pay rises for thier staff. all that cider being shipped to duffer for uk shipping prices
hic
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

I use these http://www.mbe.co.uk/, but our preston one has different charges to the ones quoted so you need to ask personally.
Good morning once again..could you tell me which company actually sends/delivers your goods?? I tried calling oxford and the lowest price they could give me was £110,00, thank you again............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.