Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by johnnyj
Talking of breakfast, I'm frantically trying to sort out all the trivial things before moving over shortly, bank accounts, insurances etc. but my main concern is what am I now going to eat for breakfast! You see I've seen the cost of my fav. muesli, and other equivalents, and the prices are shocking! So what am I going to eat instead?
Depends... my OH brings back nearly a suitcase full of his fave museli from the UK whenever we go and when that runs low he then eats Weetabix which are fairly cheap. When I go to Esselunga I stock up on 'Honey Ciuffi' which are just like Sugar Puffs as they are quite reasonable too....
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:59 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Talking of breakfast, I'm frantically trying to sort out all the trivial things before moving over shortly, bank accounts, insurances etc. but my main concern is what am I now going to eat for breakfast! You see I've seen the cost of my fav. muesli, and other equivalents, and the prices are shocking! So what am I going to eat instead?
Yogurt and Jordan's muesli. Every once in a while Esselunga have it on offer and I stock up. BTW Verona has come out as the cheapest place in Italy to do your shopping.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

johnnyj is an unknown quantity at this point

Were going to be in the South, Cilento region, don't know if they have an Esselunga nearby or not yet. I hope so though.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 2:14 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, no Esselunga down south I'm afraid! Mainly Tuscany and Lombardy with a few in other Northern areas.

They are doing a bogof at the moment, I got two packets of Jordans on it! You can also get Quaker oats up here, again no idea in the south. I would say that as far south as Tuscany and then in Rome you can get a fair few of your recognisable brands but down south you'll have to take luck of the draw...
Old Sep 18th 2010, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Nope, no Esselunga down south I'm afraid! Mainly Tuscany and Lombardy with a few in other Northern areas.

They are doing a bogof at the moment, I got two packets of Jordans on it! You can also get Quaker oats up here, again no idea in the south. I would say that as far south as Tuscany and then in Rome you can get a fair few of your recognisable brands but down south you'll have to take luck of the draw...
That would appear to be the case for most things in the south!
Old Sep 18th 2010, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dina1965 will become famous soon enoughdina1965 will become famous soon enough

capuccino and cornetto at your local bar !? great way to meet locals and start appreciating that life here in southern Italy is ssslllloooowww. "frantic" "urgent" "today" will soon be things of the past !
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dina1965
capuccino and cornetto at your local bar !? great way to meet locals and start appreciating that life here in southern Italy is ssslllloooowww. "frantic" "urgent" "today" will soon be things of the past !
Lots to get used to, rest of my life to do it in - sounds good to me!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:52 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Not in ours Testarossa. Different areas must have different offers.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:03 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to their main website you can do a search by store for the different offers - it's how I knew what to look for when I got there! Even within Florence the offers can vary from store to store - mine is one of the smallest so it doesn't get as many electrical or homeware offers. You'll probably get regional products on offer too. There was a great offer by the producers of Parma ham here last week though. If you bought 150g from the deli counter you got another 50g free! Well worth it!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Has anyone seen "Uncle Ben's long grain rice" in any supermarkets ?? I've been told that they've stopped sending it to southern Italian supermarkets because it costs triple the price of normal "gallo" rice.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone seen "Uncle Ben's long grain rice" in any supermarkets ?? I've been told that they've stopped sending it to southern Italian supermarkets because it costs triple the price of normal "gallo" rice.
Think I have seen it in Auchan in Mesagne
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:27 pm
Concierge

If you go to their main website you can do a search by store for the different offers - it's how I knew what to look for when I got there! Even within Florence the offers can vary from store to store - mine is one of the smallest so it doesn't get as many electrical or homeware offers. You'll probably get regional products on offer too. There was a great offer by the producers of Parma ham here last week though. If you bought 150g from the deli counter you got another 50g free! Well worth it!
Our's had the Parma ham offer too and, as I'd bought a local melon at Ipercoop the day before, I got some - or rather, hubby did. The melon was a late one, but delicious. I do most of my shopping in Esselunga, as you probably guessed by the number of football tokens. Just not keen on their fruit and veg, but that's probably because I can buy better, though not always cheaper, at the farmer's market or farm shop.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:09 pm
The Original Red Head!

It is massively expensive! I get the supermarkets own brand Thai rice - panorama and Esselunga do it - and it costs the same as risotto rice but is long grain and tastes nice too!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I buy Coop own brand Basmati for my curries!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

googled Esselunga (confirmed, it doesn't exist down south). they sell the rice and at a decent price considering what I was paying here. since OH and son are moaning about my risottos not being to their liking, it looks like we'll be coming up north for a long weekend next month ...
In the meantime I'm trying out a couple of basmati rices

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.