Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:58 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Ouch.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

mmm another day another finger hurt in Italy. I'm not really allowed to wash up glass by hand after the glass in finger incident, now not allowed super-sharp graters without an adult in supervision (maybes when I'm a bit older!!) and as for sharp knives - no chance.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 2:09 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Get somebody else to do all the cooking and all the washing up. Makes sense to me
Old Sep 30th 2010, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Mind you this grater was really sharp and a treat to use - just possibly too good at it's job. It's one of those that's about €20 and comes with a protective plastic cover - much better than mine at home
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lindaf
I'll give a go. I can't remember the price but I don't think it was much. Had problems with the last risotto I made - grated a piece of my finger into the cheese and used a jar of mushrooms in oil (I wanted to see what they would be like) - altogether not a good risotto
I think when you open those little packets you will find a tiny wrap of greaseproof paper with a few strands of real saffron in it. I normally mix these into about 2tbsp of milk and then add to the risotto at the end....
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for this. I don't know why I didn't think of saffron from the name Zafferano but anyway... I'm going to buy some and give it a go (One of the good things about the winter is having all this comfort food!)
Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lindaf
Thanks for this. I don't know why I didn't think of saffron from the name Zafferano but anyway... I'm going to buy some and give it a go (One of the good things about the winter is having all this comfort food!)
oh yes! My mum and dad brought me a bottle of Bicherin today. Chocolate liquor.... perfect for those winter nights!
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Help!! Please!
Have just spent all day making Salsa Romesco (ish) from scratch and to my palate there's something missing. Anyone out there do this with a handy hint for the acidity layer? have added red wine and a bit of lemon balsamic vinegar and white wine vinegar but it still tastes too flat. I've spent hours and well you know!!!!
thanks
connie
Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

I have just bought CHEDDAR (Cathedral City) in Iper. Cheese on toast anyone?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LivingHere
I found some in my local Bennett last week but not in Ipercoop. It's great innit!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LivingHere
Is that the Iper Coop?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Isakat
Is that the Iper Coop?
'fraid not, just iper.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, will have to get our cheddar cheese from Tesco/Sainsbury as there are no Iper supermarkets in Lazio.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by PAT M
We went to Lidl this afternoon, trust us we got there half an hour before the 3pm opening (they are open until 9pm but close between 2pm - 3pm). We had torrential rain today, half of their car park was flooded, so were the streets of Ugento, the drains (if they exist) cannot cope. I found apple, mint, and curry sauce.Lovely frankfurters too. I bought some choc chip muffins as well, I stocked up as our son arrives tomorrow from London. They also had a nice selection of Thai sauces. Lidl have opened a store in Nardo', I noticed a sign as we drove through there last week
Hi Pat,

I am new here, but after doing some research and reading different threads, have found out that you are also here in Gallipoli! I often go to Lidl's, but go to the one in Parabita which is much nearer than Ugento. Then just 200 m further along the road you have SuperMac which I prefer to Famila at Gallipoli.

Kindest regards
Joan
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Hi Joan,

Fancy that! Yes, we found out recently that we had a Lidl closer to us in Parabita. We are in Umbria at the moment visiting our son, just arrived today. What brought you to Gallipoli, is it a holiday home or have you relocated? We have been here three years come next January, but have decided to return to London if we find a buyer for our house, we miss family too much. Until then though we are having fun and planning to visit Florence on Sunday. Lovely to hear from you, keep in touch.

Regards Pat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.