Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Sep 3rd 2010, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

We went to Lidl this afternoon, trust us we got there half an hour before the 3pm opening (they are open until 9pm but close between 2pm - 3pm). We had torrential rain today, half of their car park was flooded, so were the streets of Ugento, the drains (if they exist) cannot cope. I found apple, mint, and curry sauce.Lovely frankfurters too. I bought some choc chip muffins as well, I stocked up as our son arrives tomorrow from London. They also had a nice selection of Thai sauces. Lidl have opened a store in Nardo', I noticed a sign as we drove through there last week
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:44 am
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

I went to lidl today, this is the first time I did not leave my glasses in the car, they still had pickle from English week I got a jar, they still had the Scottish shortbread but its not up to much, too sickly, I am having a cup of "lord nelson" breakfast tea, its ok ,its strong only needs one bag per cup, they had stuff like spam I bought a few tins handy for emergency, also found biscuits like ryvitas which I like, was tempted to buy a torch that's held to the forehead but resisted, its a good shop,they have binoculars in again and wet weather clothing, I bought a tray of baked beans for my friend margarita whose husband likes them, the one wheel bike is gone I had my chance! and I got some puffed wheat for breakfast too and soya milk, this is campo salentini branch, its not where google maps says it is , its on an industrial estate out of town
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bricwood
I went to lidl today, this is the first time I did not leave my glasses in the car, they still had pickle from English week I got a jar, they still had the Scottish shortbread but its not up to much, too sickly, I am having a cup of "lord nelson" breakfast tea, its ok ,its strong only needs one bag per cup, they had stuff like spam I bought a few tins handy for emergency, also found biscuits like ryvitas which I like, was tempted to buy a torch that's held to the forehead but resisted, its a good shop,they have binoculars in again and wet weather clothing, I bought a tray of baked beans for my friend margarita whose husband likes them, the one wheel bike is gone I had my chance! and I got some puffed wheat for breakfast too and soya milk, this is campo salentini branch, its not where google maps says it is , its on an industrial estate out of town
Thank goodness they had beans in stock, neighbour must be
Head torch always useful for those occasions when you need 2 hands...
Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:00 am
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

I know this will send purists crazy but I like fried spam, par boiled potatoes fried with fried spam and fried tomatoes is excellent, fried spam sandwich , better than eating an octopus and spewing up for days!! , never had problems with sea food in northern Italy, maybe I have grown allergic, don't care octopus better off in the sea
Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

I know this will send purists crazy but I like fried spam, par boiled potatoes fried with fried spam and fried tomatoes is excellent, fried spam sandwich , better than eating an octopus and spewing up for days!! , never had problems with sea food in northern Italy, maybe I have grown allergic, don't care octopus better off in the sea
I dread it when my OH says " not sure if you have tried this" It normally means Octopus with black sac (spaghetti that turns black and turns your gums and teeth black at the same time) Asino.... donkey durelle.... some nasty hard crunchy meat that I later found out was bits of chicken including the sack of non digested seed that the poor blighter had eaten before it was killed. She has fed me al sorts including goat and horse. I have to admit I like the horse.

But I lose my appetite when I hear goat, donkey or octopus. I used to like lamb but Italian lamb is more like goat.

Give me Fish and Chips please

Pete
Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:31 am
Banned

Someone said to me once that if a foody snob says "its an acquired taste" its vile to eat, I cant stand salami , my friends brought a salami and said its finest salami from Milan try some, I said I tried it before its like eating a tyre , they insisted and it was horrible, I will never like salami, what part of an animal is that tough ? you could use it to repair shoes, I have never smoked and my taste buds are untainted, its terrible
Old Sep 7th 2010, 10:41 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

octopus better off in the sea...Spam better off in tin

No, I understand Bricwood. Some of the meat looks appaling. Though I am a vegetarian
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:55 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Lunch today....
Ever eaten one. It's called a Burrata......yummmmmmmmm
Attached Thumbnails The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.-buratta.jpg   The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.-buratta-2-.jpg  
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:19 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Your location still says Italy Gio - where exactly are you these days??! I thought you were in London....
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:04 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Your location still says Italy Gio - where exactly are you these days??! I thought you were in London....
Hi T.R, Yes in London, but flew over to Italy and picked up some of this marvellous cheese and flew back. Out there for 5 days...It was too hot and humid a real relief to get back to the jungle!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 12:12 pm
Banned

I have never met an Italian that did not like cheddar I wonder why they dont sell it more? also Italians like custard my girlfriend used to like the custard in cartons you get in England, the woman opposite me is very kind and every she gives me something a few weeks back she started ringing my bell with coffee with about 6 sugars in the morning, then it was cakes three or four times a week but today she brought a plate of fish with the heads still on and bits of octupus and things I could not identify later I have to say delicious , I tried to eat a bit but it was vile, straight in the rubbish bag ,but I must say she is the nicest kindest person I ever met and her granddaughter emails me from northern Italy where she lives when not on holiday, what nice people, her two daughters are there every day helping her with the cleaning although they are both married and a third daughter drives here two or three times a week from foggia which must be a hundred miles, she is going back to her house in lecce for the winter soon, I will miss them!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:28 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

I know that when I tried to "turn on" the Italian family to the joys of Chutneys & Pickles they thought it was the devils work &, when on an Italian day out, walking in the mountains, I shared one of my rye bread butties they really couldn't deal with it...troppo pesanti
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:53 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gio
Hi T.R, Yes in London, but flew over to Italy and picked up some of this marvellous cheese and flew back. Out there for 5 days...It was too hot and humid a real relief to get back to the jungle!
Lol! Like your new location explanation!

bricwood - the crema you get in a lot of Italian pastries, especially the ones you eat at breakfast, is vanilla custard.....
Old Sep 16th 2010, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

I have never met an Italian that did not like cheddar I wonder why they dont sell it more? also Italians like custard my girlfriend used to like the custard in cartons you get in England, the woman opposite me is very kind and every she gives me something a few weeks back she started ringing my bell with coffee with about 6 sugars in the morning, then it was cakes three or four times a week but today she brought a plate of fish with the heads still on and bits of octupus and things I could not identify later I have to say delicious , I tried to eat a bit but it was vile, straight in the rubbish bag ,but I must say she is the nicest kindest person I ever met and her granddaughter emails me from northern Italy where she lives when not on holiday, what nice people, her two daughters are there every day helping her with the cleaning although they are both married and a third daughter drives here two or three times a week from foggia which must be a hundred miles, she is going back to her house in lecce for the winter soon, I will miss them!
why so much cake?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

johnnyj is an unknown quantity at this point

Talking of breakfast, I'm frantically trying to sort out all the trivial things before moving over shortly, bank accounts, insurances etc. but my main concern is what am I now going to eat for breakfast! You see I've seen the cost of my fav. muesli, and other equivalents, and the prices are shocking! So what am I going to eat instead?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.