Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:28 am
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

I am waiting for more roses so I have not been to lidl, I like lidl but a frozen roast dinner! it would be easy to do yourself here, frozen fish and chips, you can get frozen battered cod by findus in my local shop and frozen chips, jam and marmalade are sold all over, yesterday my nieghbour asked me to dinner again he said its tripy! and motioned to his stomach, when I got there it was tripe , yuk, and very highly spiced too , I am eating things I would not eat for a bet, I am going to have beans on toast to normalise my digestion today, and maybe chips for supper
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Does anyone know anywhere yoy can get dry sherry in Italy? I have a recipe that needs it. If not, can anyone suggest a substitute?
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:54 am
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

have you tried in the coop its got a big wine section
Old Aug 1st 2010, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret M
Does anyone know anywhere yoy can get dry sherry in Italy? I have a recipe that needs it. If not, can anyone suggest a substitute?
I bought a bottle of Donato by mistake and it tastes very much like sherry.On the bottle it is written 'vino liuqoroso' and it is made by Marchesi Antinori from Firenze. I have bought many excellent wines from this cantina in the past and this is also good, but not my taste, I prefer dry white wines and matured oaky flavour reds.
Try the GS or Carreffour, I most likely got it from there.

Isakat

PS-If you can not find this one, would Marsala do?
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isakat
I bought a bottle of Donato by mistake and it tastes very much like sherry.On the bottle it is written 'vino liuqoroso' and it is made by Marchesi Antinori from Firenze. I have bought many excellent wines from this cantina in the past and this is also good, but not my taste, I prefer dry white wines and matured oaky flavour reds.
Try the GS or Carreffour, I most likely got it from there.

Isakat

PS-If you can not find this one, would Marsala do?
Tried GS and Carreffour, can get port but not sherry. Isn't Marsala a very sweet type of sherry, I need dry.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bricwood
have you tried in the coop its got a big wine section
Do you mean Ipercoop, which used to be Carrefour. if not I don't think we have a coop near us. Haven't been to Ipercoop for a while, don't think it is anything like as good as Carrefour used to be.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:05 pm
Banned

I must admit I don't know much about wine but I am accumulating loads of it, people keep giving me wine, I started off putting it in the fridge but now the girls opposite me has given me 3 boxes of six wine plus one , its not going to be great wine I looked it up its about 8 quid a bottle in England so maybe one euro here, does it matter if it gets hot? I cant put this lot in the fridge, all my rooms are warm if the air conditioner is not on, they must think I am an alcoholic although they are so kind to me its embarrassing , my garage is really warm but I have got a spare fridge in there but that seems silly, should I lay wine on its side? re the coop its got some unusual wine and beer in there and I looked it up recently and it belongs to the same people as brico and they have a combined web site online
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

I must admit I don't know much about wine but I am accumulating loads of it, people keep giving me wine, I started off putting it in the fridge but now the girls opposite me has given me 3 boxes of six wine plus one , its not going to be great wine I looked it up its about 8 quid a bottle in England so maybe one euro here, does it matter if it gets hot? I cant put this lot in the fridge, all my rooms are warm if the air conditioner is not on, they must think I am an alcoholic although they are so kind to me its embarrassing , my garage is really warm but I have got a spare fridge in there but that seems silly, should I lay wine on its side? re the coop its got some unusual wine and beer in there and I looked it up recently and it belongs to the same people as brico and they have a combined web site online
Think you may have to start drinking it B.... Dont know alot about keeping wine as like to keep it circulated But do try to keep it in cool place...not fridge...Red or white ? Think if a gift needs to be drunk soon'ish, know others will advise who are more 'in the know'.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:01 pm
Banned

I opened the boxes I have three different sorts of wine having looked online I think its all about 8 quid in uk some is from sicily some local some from north italy, I think the girl opposite mum must work in an off licence! I already had loads in the fridge that's where my girlfriend left it
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:54 am
Banned

I have laid down my wine at the back of my outside bathroom , this should do the trick

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

I have laid down my wine at the back of my outside bathroom , this should do the trick

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...ywinestore.jpg
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:09 am
Banned

I think if you give wine and give one bottle people think "this must be good stuff" give someone 19 bottles and you think what's this rubbish! but I suppose its ok, I will finish up with a red nose and looking like W C Fields ,I already talk like him sometimes, I did the lidl run this morning and did buy some frozen cod and frozen chips so three guesses what I will have later with the gherkins I bought, there were a few sort of English things for sale, pickle, shortbread, and the cod but I could not find country of origin on them, I left my glasses in the car as usual so could not really browse but there were unicycles for sale but I was not tempted, there were shoes and flip flops but with no glasses I was knackered , I have so much food here I could barricade myself in and survive for months at least till the holidays are over
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:39 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret M
Yes if you have an Asian shop nearby. You can substitute Mirin, which is similar to Sake but not as potent quite successfully and I have done this on other occasions. It will depend on the recipe of course and I have only used it in savoury dishes as a substitute not desserts. You could probably use sake too tbh...
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Yes if you have an Asian shop nearby. You can substitute Mirin, which is similar to Sake but not as potent quite successfully and I have done this on other occasions. It will depend on the recipe of course and I have only used it in savoury dishes as a substitute not desserts. You could probably use sake too tbh...
Not around here there isn't. There are loads of Chinese clothes shops, but trying to find a Chinese restaurant is almost impossible. The Italians down here don't seem keen to try other nationalities food. I think someone else down here was looking for Saki, couldn't find that either.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:32 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say, considering the alleged North/South split in Italy where politics are concerned I find this all topsy-turvy!! Surely there should be nothing like this North of Florence but available in the South. I do realise it is all down to economics and also where ethnic communities abound (I think Prato has the largest Asian community in Italy??) but it does seem strange and almost like the south is a separate country. Can you imagine not being able to walk into a supermarket in the UK and not get soy sauce or ketchup even??!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.