Student Visa - Medicals

Old Mar 25th 2008, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Student Visa - Medicals

Originally Posted by mike08
You dont need to prove it, just just need to say you can support your self for the 2 years.
Good Luck, Im sure you'll love it
Originally Posted by mandyp
Hay bound4brissy,

Good luck with it all, it's such an exciting time!! Although the student route is risky and expensive, it's a way over. It's fab over here n we've never been happier, even though we're living on the tightest budget ever!! Where about in Glasgow are you from? We've been hearing all about the usual crappy weather!!!LOL

In regards to the decleration, there is a calculator on the immigration website that totals the amount they expect you to have. You just basically write a sentence that states that you will have that amount and sign it. Are your children school age? Apparently, just heard this from another 'student' if you enrol you children into a catholic school (this applies to Queensland, not sure bout other states) you do not have to pay the full state fees, only the actual school fees!! Works out at paying around $2000 instead of $8000.

Cheers
Mandy
You DID used to have to show bank statements to prove you had enough dosh, but as others have said now it's just a declaration! ...

Do REMEMBER tho! ... school fee's till PR! ... add 6 months onto your study time, or more if you're me! ...
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

bound4brissy is on a distinguished road

Hi Mandy

Wow what a difference in cost - I have literally emailed the request for the kids COE about 10 mins ago - will check it out as having 2 school age children is a real squeeze financially.. especially with this extra year for work experience!

We are south side Glasgow, Giffnock - and yes the weather is just as it always is - although think it would be harder to do all this if it was sunny... Im looking out the window just now and there are small flakes of snow fluttering down and its nearly April!!!

I wish we had gone last October when we originally planned as the exchange rate is so crap now our decision to stay a bit longer and save up a bit more cash has backfired... these things are sent to test us though and we will be having a laugh about it in a few months with a few coldies waiting for the barbie to fire up!!

Yvonne
xxxx
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

susan13 has a brilliant futuresusan13 has a brilliant futuresusan13 has a brilliant futuresusan13 has a brilliant futuresusan13 has a brilliant futuresusan13 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sunshine 27
Hi everyone, I'm new to this, just joined cause of this thread.
You have made me all a bit more calm about going to Oz!
I'm waiting for my COE and will be going to Sunshine coast tafe to do hairdressing in Jan 08., started to get really nervous, but good to see some more mad people out there!!!
hi there i am also doing a hairdressing course that started in jan 08 . just wondered how it was all going hope you are enjoying your roller settings and blow waving.......
have you done any hairdressing before????
i am studying in melbourne doing the level111 and the dipolma and hopefully then my pr. How are you going with your 900 hrs have you started them yet/? sorry for all the questions but really interested to know how you are going with youur course and all the stress of gaining your pr any advice and help would be great thanks susan
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Small world Yvonne, we're from Woodfarm!!

As well as being a v exciting time, it's very stressfull!! It's an emotional rollercoaster of a trip, just hold on to all that is positive and hold no regrets, everything happens for a reason!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mandyp
Hay bound4brissy,

Good luck with it all, it's such an exciting time!! Although the student route is risky and expensive, it's a way over. It's fab over here n we've never been happier, even though we're living on the tightest budget ever!! Where about in Glasgow are you from? We've been hearing all about the usual crappy weather!!!LOL

In regards to the decleration, there is a calculator on the immigration website that totals the amount they expect you to have. You just basically write a sentence that states that you will have that amount and sign it. Are your children school age? Apparently, just heard this from another 'student' if you enrol you children into a catholic school (this applies to Queensland, not sure bout other states) you do not have to pay the full state fees, only the actual school fees!! Works out at paying around $2000 instead of $8000.

Cheers
Mandy
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:04 am
Just Joined

sunshine 27 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by susan13
hi there i am also doing a hairdressing course that started in jan 08 . just wondered how it was all going hope you are enjoying your roller settings and blow waving.......
have you done any hairdressing before????
i am studying in melbourne doing the level111 and the dipolma and hopefully then my pr. How are you going with your 900 hrs have you started them yet/? sorry for all the questions but really interested to know how you are going with youur course and all the stress of gaining your pr any advice and help would be great thanks susan
Hi Susan
The hairdressing is going ok, no havn't done hairdressing before! its been very stressful, started a week after we arrived, its expensive and hard work, more so than i thought it would be!
Started my work placement a few weeks ago and hope to start getting some hours up for the 900 in the school holidays, I've stopped stressing so much now and even enjoying hairdressing, just have to get into it and go with the flow! Have wandered why I'm doing this and do i want pr that much!!
Are you at TAFE or private?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hay Lyndsay,

Don't wanna throw a spanner in the whole thing, know it's all stressing u out a wee bit, but heard the whole school thing from a girl last week. She's over on a student visa doing hairdressing!! She enrolled her kiddiewinks into a catholic school, n Queensland Government said she wouldn't need to pay anything else. Apparantly the catholic school is the only exeption to this and there is nothing else to pay, i.e. no charges for books n stuff. No further details though, but worth looking into for anyone with school age children!!

cheers
Mandy
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Student Visa - Medicals

Hairdressing! everyone is doing it!

I start my course in July at Brisbane School of Hairdressing - do you think that they will take this off the in demand list since there are so many people doing it!! ????

Does anyone know if you are able to use work experience obtained whilst doing your course (ie if I worked in a hairdressers as an assistant) - would that count towards the year work experience?

I sent the below email to them:

I understand the criteria is 'at a skilled level in your nominated occupation or in a closely related occupation on the SOL' and 'in an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)' and would like confirmation whether 1 years work experience at 20 hours per week as a hairdressing assistant would count - ie washing hair, blowdrying, taking bookings and clearing up etc.

The response was: Due to the nature of your enquiry we ask that you telephone our contact centre on (+61) 1300 364 613 for further assistance.

I havent got around to calling yet.... but if you can manage to work the 20 hours and do your course it might be worth checking out...
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Any work you do during the course, before you pass can count towards your 900 hours for the TRA, but not towards the 1 years work experiance IF you need it for immigration.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Any work you do during the course, before you pass can count towards your 900 hours for the TRA, but not towards the 1 years work experiance IF you need it for immigration.
Oh well - worth a try...!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bound4brissy
Hairdressing! everyone is doing it!

I start my course in July at Brisbane School of Hairdressing - do you think that they will take this off the in demand list since there are so many people doing it!! ????

Does anyone know if you are able to use work experience obtained whilst doing your course (ie if I worked in a hairdressers as an assistant) - would that count towards the year work experience?
That's my old school! ...

I was told Hairdressing has been on the MODL since it began! Don't know if true, but trust me you'll not be alone in doing it for PR ...

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Yeah cos I gather the years work exp HAS to be 'qualified' work exp.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Traykolaj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all!
Im starting a hairdressing course 1st July (diploma in hairdressing and salon management) in melbourne.
Just finished hairdressing in the UK, nvq level 1 and 2, really enjoyed it but have to do it again because i don't have a enough experience. Im hoping to get 20hours work a week as a qualified hairdresser and use the experience towards my 12months experience needed for pr, hope i can do this does anyone know??. Anyway i think why oz still need hairdressers so badly is because people go into hairdressing (couple of students from my college) just to get into oz then go on to do something else. I had no interest in hairdressing when i started but love it now and glad i did it, I found it really hard at first, i cried loads with frustration (its not easy, i thought it would be) Hope you all love it!!
Tracey
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Traykolaj
Hi all!
Im starting a hairdressing course 1st July (diploma in hairdressing and salon management) in melbourne.
Just finished hairdressing in the UK, nvq level 1 and 2, really enjoyed it but have to do it again because i don't have a enough experience. Im hoping to get 20hours work a week as a qualified hairdresser and use the experience towards my 12months experience needed for pr, hope i can do this does anyone know??. Anyway i think why oz still need hairdressers so badly is because people go into hairdressing (couple of students from my college) just to get into oz then go on to do something else. I had no interest in hairdressing when i started but love it now and glad i did it, I found it really hard at first, i cried loads with frustration (its not easy, i thought it would be) Hope you all love it!!
Tracey
Well that's the irony almost, there's hairdressers all over the place and there seems to be enough people working in them!

2 others reasons.

1) Young girls go into hairdressing, then get pregnant, have kids and don't return!

2) Pay is crap ... $20ph max in a salon! (unless you work for yourself, but that involves building cliental which takes time and effort)
Old Mar 28th 2008, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Sounds wierd but I hate standing still - prefer to be moving or sitting - hairdressing is not the best choice for me then!! But hey...the things you do to get PR...

Im warming to the idea of being a hairdresser though, I suppose if you are going to spend a couple of years training and working then you should look at it optimistically - anyone else doing hairdressing in Brisbane????

BTW - have emailed a couple of catholic schools re enrolment and will update on reply from them. There are only a percentage that are CRICOS registered but the fees are under £2k per year for 2 children. You need to enrol directly with the school but usually they want to interview you first. You dont need to be Catholic and all schools will welcome other denominations and cultures however Catholic families get priority. I'm waiting for the catch...
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Good luck with the school thing Yvonne, hope it's a 'goer'!! There'll be a lot of interest from others I'm sure, would save everyone a fortune!!

Girl I spoke to lives in Nerang, so must be a school fairly close to there that her kiddiewinks go to.

Hubbies asking bout u, thinking he'll prob know you or there'll be a link!! He lived in Giffnock all his life till we bought our own place in Woodfarm, a wee sweetie wife who spoke to anyone!!

If you know Italmania, that's our friend's shop!! We both went to Woodfarm High.

Cheers
Mandy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.