Student Visa - Medicals

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Smile Re: Student Visa - Medicals

Originally Posted by Bradburns
Hi,

We are currently following the student visa route.

My hubby is registered onto the bricklaying course at Nambour tafe, Sunshine Coast to start in July this year.

I can understand why you are swaying towards doing the hairdressers course, because the work experience seems to be easier to come by (from the posts i've read anyway), but i have heard and read a few nightmare stories about the hairdressing courses, but then again I have about the Bricklaying course aswell.

Both occupations are in Demand at the moment so it's a hard choice, why don't you decide which career will give the best prospects for your family.

Also, I hope to eventually train as a Midwife, if we gain permanent residency.

It becomes a lot cheaper to study once you become a permanant resident, so that's what i'm hoping to do.

We're hoping, that we'll be able to find jobs, doing whatever it takes until hubby has finished his course, because any money is better than none,then apply for pr and then i will look properly into midwifery.

If there's anything else you need to know and i can help, let me know.

There are a couple on here who post under PaulandNick, Paul has just completed the hairdressing course and they are now awaiting a decision from dimia re pr. Why don't you find him on here and ask him a bit about the course.

Keep us informed of what you decide to do.

Good luck, hope you come to a decision soon, All the best.
Thanks for your reply, how strange that we're both interested in the same thing!

Yes, that's a good idea - waiting untill you've got PR then apply for midwifery. Makes more sense. It's something i've always wanted to do.

I've read alot of paul & Nics posts already, they make interesting reading.

How easy is it to get a placement doing bricklaying? Hubby (Sean) hasn't any quals and not very good school grades either so am a bit worried that he wouldn't even get it!!!! lol Are there any entrance type exams or criteria he would need to pass?

Are you looking at renting a place near to the TAFE? How about kids, what schools have you been looking at?

Sorry for all the questions - it's like a minefireld and until today, we were looking at the 163 business visa, so this is a total change in direction for us. It also enables us to hopefully progress a bit sooner than we would've been able to on the 163 visa as we needed 2 years books showing $300,000.

Obviously we've still got house and business to sell but I want to find out as much as poss before we make any drastic decisions!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Carlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to all
Default Re: Student Visa - Medicals

Hi all

Just wanted to update you all in what we have been doing, as haven't been on here since before we left the lovely UK.

Well we arrived on the 2nd January a bit wacked to say the least (eldest son would not go to sleep on the first leg of the journey (12 hours) and decided to fall asleep just before we landed he is 9!!!)

The first few days were a blur as we were getting over the jet lag. Unfortunately our rellies don't have internet access so we have been very restricted in what we can do ie finding a place to rent, hiring a car etc.

What we have done is soak up the sun, lounge around the pool drink a few beers and generally relax and unwind before I start my course. Ooh forgot to mention eldest son love him to bits dislocates his elbow and ends up at the Royal Melbourne children's hospital!!! He is fine now thankfully lol.

We have been to the centre of Melbourne and done a lot of window shopping which is fab, been to the Zoo and the Aquarium both great day's out with the kids and have been to see Melbourne Victory vs Wellington for just £18 for all 4 of us (how cheap is that) at the Telstra Dome. We couldn't go and see Stevenage borough play in the conference league for less than £45.

At the moment we are house hunting frantically as our stuff arrived at Melbourne port yesterday...and it's not been easy when your calls don't get returned or no one turns up to view the house

I start my course on the 5th February and am very worried that I will be the oldest on the course being 36 but I am really looking forward to it.

We haven't found a school yet for our 2 boys but as soon as we secure a house we will be looking at schools for them as they really do need to get into a routine.

Well I think thats what we have done so far I'm sure we have done lots more but everything seems to be a blur...it could be the couple of glasses of wine I've just drunk

Well keep us posted on how you are getting on and if anyone is in Melbourne and would like to do a meet up post on here and hopefully we can get something organised.

Take care

Sarah and Russell
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

southern-stars will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Hi everyone!
Have just read all your posts, all 34 pages!

We (me and hubby and 2 kids) are looking at the student visa route. Originally were looking at the business 163 but can't quite make the turnover unfortunately. So our only option is the student route.

However we're swaying from one thing to another! Hubby doesn't mind doing the bricklaying but there have been some concerns that it won't fulfill the 900 hr work experiance and that you would need the bridging visa - which is all money and extra school fees! Whereas the hairdressing has the 900hrs almost built in ( i understand that the dima requirement is 900hrs on top of the study but this can be incorporated) am i right in thinking that hairdressing would then be the cheaper and 'easier' option - if I dare say 'easier'!!!! lol

What would be the other options which would more likey get PR?

i quite fancy midwifery but i believe that's a whole other ball game. Much longer and more expensive? Not sure how it works

any info please?
hello,
welcome to the thread there are lots of ways of looking at the study routes, i am doing nursing first to gain pr and then its a relatively short step to midwifery. Also my degree is 3 years as i wanted plenty of breaks cos i have 4 kids but it is also available as a 2 year degree if you study thru the summer semester.

Any ways good luck whatever you decide!
julie
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

How easy was it to get into nursing? Where are you studying?

I've got my Btec national dip in Nursery nursing and while looking at www.thisisaustralia.com read that :

DIPLOMA OF CHILDRENS SERVICES

At present, Australia is experiencing a severe shortage of Child Care Coordinators. We have been working closely with one of the largest Child Care Education Providers in Australia and they are in urgent need of skilled workers.

They are currently interviewing persons who work in child care or are interested in making child care a career. For those that are interested in making it a career, they are offering a Government approved and registered one year Certificate III and Diploma of Children’s Services. This course is an intensive course which usually takes two years to complete.

Successful, competent and enthusiastic students are offered sponsorship by an Australian Child Care facility.

Study over a week includes:

Monday Classroom 9am to 4pm
Tuesday: Classroom 9am to 4 pm
Wednesday: Work placement in a child care centre (Unpaid) practical study
Thursday and Friday you are encouraged to work as an unqualified assistant in a child care centre (paid around ($15.00 per hour). The school assists with placement.

Successful candidates who attain the diploma and practical experience after the first year become available for sponsorship.

Sponsorship involves you being sponsored by a registered child care facility in which you will be guaranteed a starting wage of $41,850.00 per annum plus 9% superannuation for a 38 hour week .These visas are usually issued for 4 years. (You are not a Permanent Resident under these visas)

Once you have worked under this visa category for two years you can become eligible to make an application for Permanent Residency under the Employer Nominated Scheme.

Under a sponsored visa your spouse has open work rights.

To see if you may be eligible for sponsorship contact us where we will arrange and interview by telephone with the school and child care facilitator

1-year Certificate III/Diploma of Children’s Services Course Fees are AUD$9000

So am i right in thinking that i could do this course for a year, gain sponsorship, work for 2 years in a childcare then apply for PR?

I'm very confused about what is the best way to go? I am planning on ringing an agent to discuss but wanted your opinions?

Becky
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bradburns
There are a couple on here who post under PaulandNic, Paul has just completed the hairdressing course and they are now awaiting a decision from dimia re pr. Why don't you find him on here and ask him a bit about the course.
Yeah and been 6 months waiting too! ... :curse:

I'm happy to help with anything re Student Visa etc but just bare in mind I am pre Sept 1 so things HAVE changed since then and not so familiar!

Also someone pm'd me for my email and I've deleted the pm by mistake ... ... but I'd recommend asking here as there's many others in the know too! ...
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

I've got my Btec national dip in Nursery nursing and while looking at www.thisisaustralia.com read that :

At present, Australia is experiencing a severe shortage of Child Care Coordinators. We have been working closely with one of the largest Child Care Education Providers in Australia and they are in urgent need of skilled workers.

They are currently interviewing persons who work in child care or are interested in making child care a career. For those that are interested in making it a career, they are offering a Government approved and registered one year Certificate III and Diploma of Children’s Services. This course is an intensive course which usually takes two years to complete.

Successful, competent and enthusiastic students are offered sponsorship by an Australian Child Care facility.

Thursday and Friday you are encouraged to work as an unqualified assistant in a child care centre (paid around ($15.00 per hour). The school assists with placement.

Successful candidates who attain the diploma and practical experience after the first year become available for sponsorship.

Sponsorship involves you being sponsored by a registered child care facility in which you will be guaranteed a starting wage of $41,850.00 per annum plus 9% superannuation for a 38 hour week .These visas are usually issued for 4 years. (You are not a Permanent Resident under these visas)

Once you have worked under this visa category for two years you can become eligible to make an application for Permanent Residency under the Employer Nominated Scheme.

To see if you may be eligible for sponsorship contact us where we will arrange and interview by telephone with the school and child care facilitator

So am i right in thinking that i could do this course for a year, gain sponsorship, work for 2 years in a childcare then apply for PR?

I'm very confused about what is the best way to go? I am planning on ringing an agent to discuss but wanted your opinions?

Becky
Hi Becky,

This looks v interesting. I've got an NNEB and I'm sure that if u had managerial experience it was on the MODL list, so couldn't use it to get skilled visa, plus I've not actually worked as a nursery nurse for over 10 years (tho still worked child related).

There are millions of jobs advertised for nursery nurses (child care co-ordinater) I haddn't really considered applying cause hubbie is the student visa holder n between his college placement n (fingers crossed) work, he's out all weekdays and we have 2 children under 3. I'm not even sure if the nneb is recognised over here. I wonder if as there is such a shortage, the next step would maybe be to put it on the MODL list? Or if this course is because the uk equivalent is not recognised? Think al try doin some research, n u can keep us posted to what u can find out!!

Be very wary of agent fees, we paid an agent for our student visa n we coulda done it easily ourselves!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Becky,

With your qualification ( mine too) we are already recognised as childcare workers so would be overqualified for doing that course. Maybe quite interesting to see if there would be a chance of sponsorship without doing it?

Just after reading a thread, what is a nursery nurse in Australia.

Cheers
Mandy
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mandyp
Hi Becky,

This looks v interesting. I've got an NNEB and I'm sure that if u had managerial experience it was on the MODL list, so couldn't use it to get skilled visa, plus I've not actually worked as a nursery nurse for over 10 years (tho still worked child related).

There are millions of jobs advertised for nursery nurses (child care co-ordinater) I haddn't really considered applying cause hubbie is the student visa holder n between his college placement n (fingers crossed) work, he's out all weekdays and we have 2 children under 3. I'm not even sure if the nneb is recognised over here. I wonder if as there is such a shortage, the next step would maybe be to put it on the MODL list? Or if this course is because the uk equivalent is not recognised? Think al try doin some research, n u can keep us posted to what u can find out!!

Be very wary of agent fees, we paid an agent for our student visa n we coulda done it easily ourselves!!

Cheers
Mandy
Hi,

same here really, haven't worked in a child care setting full time for a number of years as i have 2 boys. Although i have been a foster carer for 10yrs. The way i'm reading it is that anybody who is interested in childcare can do the 1 yr course then go on to sponsorship?

As far as i know, the nneb, btec national are equivalent to level 111 already, so i'm not sure how that works? Would i still need to complete the 1 year course? Seems silly when my btec national is equivalent to that anyway!

I've emailed the agent where i saw it and am waiting for a reply so i'll let you know!

Becky

just read your post! found out the same thing! wouldn't be any point doing the course! might beable to get sponsorship without it then?

I'll keep you posted.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

southern-stars will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Carlton Cold's
Hi all

Just wanted to update you all in what we have been doing, as haven't been on here since before we left the lovely UK.

Well we arrived on the 2nd January a bit wacked to say the least (eldest son would not go to sleep on the first leg of the journey (12 hours) and decided to fall asleep just before we landed he is 9!!!)

The first few days were a blur as we were getting over the jet lag. Unfortunately our rellies don't have internet access so we have been very restricted in what we can do ie finding a place to rent, hiring a car etc.

What we have done is soak up the sun, lounge around the pool drink a few beers and generally relax and unwind before I start my course. Ooh forgot to mention eldest son love him to bits dislocates his elbow and ends up at the Royal Melbourne children's hospital!!! He is fine now thankfully lol.

Take care

Sarah and Russell
Hello again, sounds like you've been having a nice time over there!
We are counting down the days till we fly, and we are lucky we have managed to sort out an awesome rental we can move in the day we arrive!! Got viewings of the two local schools a couple of days after we arrive as well.
Do you find melbourne big to negotiate? I remember trying to buy a car in melbourne some years back with no internet access and no vehicle to go out looking in it was a nightmare!

Good luck for the course I'm sure you won't be the oldest! Although i have the same worry i must admit.
Julie
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Davey n Di is an unknown quantity at this point

Becky
Mmmm....be careful about this one, if you are seriously interested get as much advice as possible. I was going to do this exact course (with this agent), even had my coe, but pulled out. See my thread I started on this very topic -http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498189 (hope I have attached the link ok, never done it before). Anyway, good luck. Di x
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Davey n Di is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope...didn't seem to attach the link very sucessfully If you click into my profile and click on 'Find more posts by Davey n Di' you'll see the one about Childcare in Queensland, where I am referring to that exact course. I have only just received my money back, phew!! Di x
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

ummmmmmm just read all the posts re; the course above and you're right, it does sound risky.

I'm not sure about it now! Maybe hubby retraining as originally planned will be better, or me in the Welfare side.

Thanks for advice, great help!

Becky
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

ummmmmmm just read all the posts re; the course above and you're right, it does sound risky.

I'm not sure about it now! Maybe hubby retraining as originally planned will be better, or me in the Welfare side.

Thanks for advice, great help!

Becky
Hi, just read the thread too,

I think the safest bet is to stick to a course that runs the 2 years and on the MODL n SOL list. The student visa route is just sooo risky anyway!!

We'r trying to assess our position with the points n pathway to PR. According to what i can see for our cicumstances, we can apply for our skilled visa as soon as the course finishes ( will need our bridging visa in place also) as our points should be enough as long as hubbie can get the 900 hourse work experience in over the two years (for the TRA) and 20hours per week (years work experience) for the work experience part of the skilled visa.

Just need to stay focused on the path that we'r all taking and the loops we have to go through to get the holy grail!!!

Cheers
Mandy

P.S. v interested in the welfare worker course Diane, let me know how you get on with it. Thats kinda what I was doing back accross for the last 7 years. What course are you gonna look at next Becky?

Stefan at study options is really good at helping out with courses n locations and his advice n all help is free. He'l keep you right with what courses will get you on the right path.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:10 am
Just Joined

loubieloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Thought I would sneak into this thread if you don't mind ! My Oh and I are looking at going to aus on student visas as we can't see any other way of getting over there, I was really interested in the child care diploma option but after reading through Di's posts thought it was risky, I have left a post called am I mad would love to hear some stories from people who have done this route and find out more about you guys and what you are all studying.

I'm Louise 28 married to Stuart with 3 children ( 9, 7 & 3 ) I/we ( see am i mad post! ) are hoping to go to QLD next year if we can, I will probably be the one studying, possibly welfare work instead of child care diploma still undecided.

look forward to haering from some others in our boat !

Louise
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mandyp
Hi, just read the thread too,

I think the safest bet is to stick to a course that runs the 2 years and on the MODL n SOL list. The student visa route is just sooo risky anyway!!

We'r trying to assess our position with the points n pathway to PR. According to what i can see for our cicumstances, we can apply for our skilled visa as soon as the course finishes ( will need our bridging visa in place also) as our points should be enough as long as hubbie can get the 900 hourse work experience in over the two years (for the TRA) and 20hours per week (years work experience) for the work experience part of the skilled visa.

Just need to stay focused on the path that we'r all taking and the loops we have to go through to get the holy grail!!!

Cheers
Mandy

P.S. v interested in the welfare worker course Diane, let me know how you get on with it. Thats kinda what I was doing back accross for the last 7 years. What course are you gonna look at next Becky?

Stefan at study options is really good at helping out with courses n locations and his advice n all help is free. He'l keep you right with what courses will get you on the right path.

Hi,

I think we'll ring and have a word with Stefan. Not really sure what course to do. It might be better for hubby to re-train in electric/air con or bricklaying. I'm sure that long term the career prospects will be better.

I'll keep you posted on our progress!

We may go out on a recce trip sept time to view colleges,schools, rentals etc before applying for visa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.