Wikiposts

Student Visa - Medicals

Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

bound4brissy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Student Visa - Medicals

Originally Posted by mandyp
Good luck with the school thing Yvonne, hope it's a 'goer'!! There'll be a lot of interest from others I'm sure, would save everyone a fortune!!

Girl I spoke to lives in Nerang, so must be a school fairly close to there that her kiddiewinks go to.

Hubbies asking bout u, thinking he'll prob know you or there'll be a link!! He lived in Giffnock all his life till we bought our own place in Woodfarm, a wee sweetie wife who spoke to anyone!!

If you know Italmania, that's our friend's shop!! We both went to Woodfarm High.

Cheers
Mandy
so funny! Jonny went to Woodfarm too - Im not from this neck of the woods. We go to Italmania for the occasional pizza...mmmmm! Good pizza and small world indeed!

My two kids go to Braidbar just now - they are gutted we are leaving but Jay is due to go to Woodfarm after the summer holidays so its now or never for us...

Yvonne
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bound4brissy
so funny! Jonny went to Woodfarm too - Im not from this neck of the woods. We go to Italmania for the occasional pizza...mmmmm! Good pizza and small world indeed!

My two kids go to Braidbar just now - they are gutted we are leaving but Jay is due to go to Woodfarm after the summer holidays so its now or never for us...

Yvonne
Yeah, good pizza Colin missing the coffee's n goss, he used to pop in quite a lot!! Dunno your age groups but my maiden name was Kirk, it's now Pickett. Not overly common surnames so your hubbie may recognise the names!! Colin n all his mates used to go to braidbar too!!

Small world right enough!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Catholic Schooling
Hi everyone, I emailed about a dozen schools on Friday and have had 2 replies. All catholic schools are independant and whilst they are not private schools you do have to pay fees even if a resident. The fees are roughly about $1k/child.

Unfortunately, as we are not residents yet we are classed as full fee paying international students. Below is a schedule I got from one of the schools and it works out more than state school in the end! The other school came back and said that there is a different fee schedule for international students and it depends on visa etc. Again sounded like more than $2k....

Please dont take my word for it though - Im sure some schools will be less strict around this as you just register with the school and pay fees directly to them. It saves a ridiculous amount of money if you manage it!

Im just going to stick with the state school after all - my kids are not catholic and it's enough of an upheaval for them without asking them to change their religion too...!!!!

Yvonne

FULL FEE PAYING INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS (FFPIS)
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM FEE STRUCTURE 2008

TUITION Years 1-7 $ per year

State Per Capita 1379

Commonwealth Per Capita 4304

School Fees per Student 1240

Subject Levy per Student 825

Capital Levy per Student 500

International Student Levy 2700

ESL Tuition – as applicable ($61/hr)

ADMINISTRATION

QRICOS Registration (Queensland) 238

CRICOS Registration (Commonwealth) 356

Administration 262
_____
Total Tuition and Administration $ 11804
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:44 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

With Private schools you get a 40% (don't quote me, but it's something decent like that) funding from the government if you're ....

Guess what?

A PR! ...

We looked at a few private schools for our kids on our reccy here in 2005 and all was looking good on the cost front right up to the point they asked if we were gonna be a PR here ...

It's tough on a temp visa I'm afraid, and the State schooling was all we could afford ...
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

I know - even the grant to buy a house....PR is everything!! We keep getting excited about stuff then finding out it doesn't apply because we are temporary

The state schools are great though - have good reputation and have been so friendly - alot even have pools and school swim teams ... so for us considering we get up at 5 for the 30 min drive to swim team training 4 times a week (and in evenings too) - its worth the $8000 just to not have those journeys to and from each day!!

Are you waiting for visa or just waiting to go????
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:07 am
Account Closed

Are you waiting for visa or just waiting to go????
I've been here just over 2 years. I'm awaiting the result of my PR application.

Went in over 7 months ago! ... :curse:
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Traykolaj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I've been here just over 2 years. I'm awaiting the result of my PR application.

Went in over 7 months ago! ... :curse:
Did you finish your course before applying for pr? Im starting a hairdressing course in july. Just finished hairdressing course in the uk, but do not have enough experience, can you give me some info about when to apply for pr, Please!!
Thanks Tracey
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hay, sorry bout the school info not working out. I couldn't understand how this girl had managed it, but she must just be v lucky. I am well aware that as we are over on a student visa we are entitled to nothing (have had several 'discussions' with people who say we must be entitled to x,y,z becasue we have children I have to keep arguing that we are not!!).

She said that the school and Queensland government both knew that they were over on a student visa and that it was Queensland who said to her they wouldn't need to pay anything other than the school fees cause it was a Catholic school!! Obviously she must have been speaking to someone who didn't really know bout the student visa restrictions ( well lucky!!)

Cheers
Mandy
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Paul and Nic - well it wont be long now Im sure although I imagine it must be torture - it should take about 6 months it says on the website...can you check your progress?

I've received my invoice for $8400 for school fees today so Im getting that sorted and then I can apply for student visa - hooray!!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am proudly in possession of a blue card from the childrens commission!! Woohoo, I can now start working!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Traykolaj
Did you finish your course before applying for pr? Im starting a hairdressing course in july. Just finished hairdressing course in the uk, but do not have enough experience, can you give me some info about when to apply for pr, Please!!
Thanks Tracey
Yeah you can't apply for PR till you have!

All the info is on here or the DIAC website ...

Hi Paul and Nic - well it wont be long now Im sure although I imagine it must be torture - it should take about 6 months it says on the website...can you check your progress?

I've received my invoice for $8400 for school fees today so Im getting that sorted and then I can apply for student visa - hooray!!
Yeah they DO say 6 months to process but they was bombarded with applications pre Sept 1 so it's all running behind. They told me it could be another 4 - 6 months! ...

Good luck with your studies and all the rest ...
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=PaulandNic;6141095]
Yeah they DO say 6 months to process but they was bombarded with applications pre Sept 1 so it's all running behind. They told me it could be another 4 - 6 months! ...
QUOTE]

Fingers crossed it doesn't take that long. I can imagin how stressful it is having to wait.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

I am proudly in possession of a blue card from the childrens commission!! Woohoo, I can now start working!!

Cheers
Mandy
Thats great Mandy........

So reassuring that everything is working out - cant wait to get all the paperwork behind us and join you!!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Hi AGAIN!
A bit of an obsession with this site I think..

I know that you can front load your medicals for 572 but does it really save any time? London told me its ok to do it but when I called up to book an appointment with the panel doctor they said that I should bring a referral form. Should I just wait and do meds when they ask for them? (funny this thread was started on the same topic...)

Also, have had nightmare today - the people buying our house have not sold their house yet (even though they bought ours 5 months ago) and want to extend date - we have said no as we have made plans to move out on that date and we need the money in the bank - but am now worried that they will pull out even though missives are concluded.

Such a stressful time .... but good to keep in touch with you lot to know it will be worth it...
Old Apr 1st 2008, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

The GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really nice

Hay bound4brissy,

Good luck with it all, it's such an exciting time!! Although the student route is risky and expensive, it's a way over. It's fab over here n we've never been happier, even though we're living on the tightest budget ever!! Where about in Glasgow are you from? We've been hearing all about the usual crappy weather!!!LOL

In regards to the decleration, there is a calculator on the immigration website that totals the amount they expect you to have. You just basically write a sentence that states that you will have that amount and sign it. Are your children school age? Apparently, just heard this from another 'student' if you enrol you children into a catholic school (this applies to Queensland, not sure bout other states) you do not have to pay the full state fees, only the actual school fees!! Works out at paying around $2000 instead of $8000.

Cheers
Mandy
Hello sorry for butting in just found this thread i am new to this site wished i had found it months ago anyway we are in brisbane on student visa Jan 08and currently finding it hard for my hubby to get a job in his hopefully new trade cabinet making just wondered if someone on this thread nows of any cabinet making places that take student visa people on he has had some bad experiences with employers over the last 4 weeks any help/advice would be appreciated

Lisa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.