Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

Wikiposts

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:24 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Thank you to Eddie and Goan voice for this article. Have not provided a link like I usually do as it takes you to an 'orrible Google translation page, but here is the pertinent quote, straight from Goan Voice

Usually foreigners are fines about $100 for such an offence but the Court considered his case and sentenced him to imprisonment for a year ... The jail sentence is required to restore the honor of our country, said the judge ...
Lost for words, absolutely lost for words..................

Just to clarify, this is a Russian (and most of you know I havbe no love for them, having had them as immediate neighbours in Goa) who over-stayed his "on arrival" visa (not for Brits of course) by a massive........................................One month!

The un-prejudiced Indian Judge passed sentence accordingly

Oh, and AFD, the mega-wimp Cameroon was spouting all sorts of humble crap after his ar*e-licking visit to India, and this was just a little bit of it...........pretty sure he was waffling about financial incentives to those prepared to come and work in Third World Britain as well?

Can I just emphasise that this is not a "Knock Goa" post as these seem to be unacceptable at present.......

This is a "Knock the whole of stinking corrupt India" post.......the same regime that just gave Mr Pacheco the right to leave the country today.

Last edited by johnny five; Aug 14th 2010 at 8:37 am.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice

I'm lost for words, Johnny Five - lost for words.................!

The fact that someone overstays by one month brings "dishonour" to India? Please......which planet are these people from? The judge, of course! God help any foreigner who has the misfortune to get unintentionally involved in a serious crime

Cameron's visit - the least said about that the better - a brown-nosing junket for all of them. & guess who will come out with the most concessions? certainly not the UK!

Mental Mickky - any bets he'll soon be on Goa's "most wanted" list soon when he goes AWOL in the States?

Oh well - that's my rant for today - hoping for a bit of sun today............
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by a_f_d
He did - when?

AndyD 8-)#
According to yesterdays "Times of India" he announced it on Thursday!!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 11:35 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msj5
So do none of you have anything to say about David Cameron making it easier and cheaper for Indians to enter the UK? Sensibly President Obama has upped the price!

It defies belief when it is being made as difficult as possible for a trip in the opposite direction !!

Dread - fairness? what fairness?
x
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:13 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

http://www1.timesofindia.indiatimes....ow/6317043.cms

let us hope they get on with it before the season starts
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:10 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Medical tourism is doing well in India
17 Aug: Le Figaro (France). They are 200,000 patients each year from abroad to have surgery at a lower cost. But is not always safe ... Faced with this enthusiasm, tourism professionals have jumped at the opportunity . Some travel agencies now offer two days of convalescence on the beaches of Goa

India: New British passports only from New Delhi
17 Aug: IANS. From Aug 20, British nationals will be required to submit applications for issue of new or renewed passports only to the British High Commission in New Delhi ... the consular sections of British deputy high commissions in Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and Goa shall stop accepting applications for new passports or renewals...

Hospitals not the only superbug source
17 Aug: Financial Times (UK). From Mr Jeremiah Norris, Director, Center for Science in Public Policy, Hudson Institute, Washington, DC... “Part of the ‘medical tourist’ package includes a recuperation period at a beach resort such as Goa. Once there, the recovering patient, now more immune-compromised than before he entered the hospital, is exposed to new opportunistic infections by waiters and other beach personnel. Louis Pasteur once observed that “we drink 90 per cent of our illnesses”. The beach is a potent reservoir for that eventuality...

www.goanvoice.org.uk
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

imho is an unknown quantity at this point

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/6328383.cms
Thanks to Goan Voice for the link.
Wonder what restaurants it is in Calangute. I have a idea what 2 it will be but have mailed my friend in Goa to ask them .
Old Aug 18th 2010, 3:51 am

Couple sell home to fund Goa trip

18 Aug: Northamptonshire Evening Telegraph. Charles & Donna Wilder (photo) have sold their comfortable home to fund a trip to the slums of Goa where they will care for children living in poverty. Donna Wilder became interested in trying to help tackle child poverty after going on a surprise holiday to Goa to celebrate her 50th birthday in 2006. Now 53-year-old Mrs Wilder has been to Goa eight times and she is set to return for five months to work out there...

www.goanvoice.org.uk

I just hope they are appreciated after selling their home.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:13 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noni
Couple sell home to fund Goa trip

18 Aug: Northamptonshire Evening Telegraph. Charles & Donna Wilder (photo) have sold their comfortable home to fund a trip to the slums of Goa where they will care for children living in poverty. Donna Wilder became interested in trying to help tackle child poverty after going on a surprise holiday to Goa to celebrate her 50th birthday in 2006. Now 53-year-old Mrs Wilder has been to Goa eight times and she is set to return for five months to work out there...

www.goanvoice.org.uk

I just hope they are appreciated after selling their home.

Let's hope they get the right visas issued to them - otherwise we can all imagine the nightmare !

Dread - x
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:10 am

I really wish Mr & Mrs Wilder every success in their charity endeavours in Goa, but sincerely hope they have done their homework on what is essentially the two faces of Goa, one being the face that the 2 week tourist only sees when on holiday here and the other being the hard line corrupt face that one only finds by living there for long periods.
Just ask the estimated 3,500 British nationals who have bought retirement properties here and face the everyday threat of property confiscation and non-registration therefore no actual ownership of their properties, despite seeking "supposed" legal advice on how to buy in Goa !
( See www.britishexpats.com - Goa forum for the REAL horror stories of Goa)
We have been fighting and asking the BRITISH GOVERNMENT for help with these matters for over 4 years with very little success.
As I said I truly wish the Wilders success but please, please look at the REAL Goa not the picture postcard Goa

Ex Goan ,
UK 18/08/2010 20:15:26
I really do hope that you will take note of what Geoffrey Pond said in the above comments.
We are also one of those 3,500 BN's who fell for the Goa wonderment but have come out unscathed due to honesty from an Indian friend who did everything for us to get our money back.
There would be no slums in Goa if it was not for the property magnets - Goan people do not beg or leave their children to stranger.
Sorry Mrs Wilder but this does not make sense =
"Mrs Wilder has asked her friends on the social networking website Facebook to contribute £1 each and she plans to use the cash to buy 'luxury' foods – regular items for us like crisps, biscuits and sweets – to use to make Christmas hampers"
Chickpeas, lentils, rice would be more helpful for these people - seriously rubbish food does not fill their stomachs - buy them something more substatial.
No pens,crayons et al but use the money for something that will keep them alive like medecine and real food.

Ex Goan ,
18/08/2010 20:46:46
Don't do it - you will regret it

Ex Goan ,
18/08/2010 20:52:43
Keep your house for your own retirement.
Help out all you can but don't do that - please - please - please - keep your own home.
We have spent hundreds of pounds helping Goan families and have enjoyed their hospitality but don't sell your house to do it.
We have the money to buy fridges, tv's and keep the kids in good schools but would not sell my house to do it.

http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/Couple-sell-home-to-fund.6481544.jp

comments from the above story. Just hope that the couple listen to the advice.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by noni
I really wish Mr & Mrs Wilder every success in their charity endeavours in Goa, but sincerely hope they have done their homework on what is essentially the two faces of Goa, one being the face that the 2 week tourist only sees when on holiday here and the other being the hard line corrupt face that one only finds by living there for long periods.
Just ask the estimated 3,500 British nationals who have bought retirement properties here and face the everyday threat of property confiscation and non-registration therefore no actual ownership of their properties, despite seeking "supposed" legal advice on how to buy in Goa !
( See www.britishexpats.com - Goa forum for the REAL horror stories of Goa)
We have been fighting and asking the BRITISH GOVERNMENT for help with these matters for over 4 years with very little success.
As I said I truly wish the Wilders success but please, please look at the REAL Goa not the picture postcard Goa

Ex Goan ,
UK 18/08/2010 20:15:26
I really do hope that you will take note of what Geoffrey Pond said in the above comments.
We are also one of those 3,500 BN's who fell for the Goa wonderment but have come out unscathed due to honesty from an Indian friend who did everything for us to get our money back.
There would be no slums in Goa if it was not for the property magnets - Goan people do not beg or leave their children to stranger.
Sorry Mrs Wilder but this does not make sense =
"Mrs Wilder has asked her friends on the social networking website Facebook to contribute £1 each and she plans to use the cash to buy 'luxury' foods – regular items for us like crisps, biscuits and sweets – to use to make Christmas hampers"
Chickpeas, lentils, rice would be more helpful for these people - seriously rubbish food does not fill their stomachs - buy them something more substatial.
No pens,crayons et al but use the money for something that will keep them alive like medecine and real food.

Ex Goan ,
18/08/2010 20:46:46
Don't do it - you will regret it

Ex Goan ,
18/08/2010 20:52:43
Keep your house for your own retirement.
Help out all you can but don't do that - please - please - please - keep your own home.
We have spent hundreds of pounds helping Goan families and have enjoyed their hospitality but don't sell your house to do it.
We have the money to buy fridges, tv's and keep the kids in good schools but would not sell my house to do it.

http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/Couple-sell-home-to-fund.6481544.jp

comments from the above story. Just hope that the couple listen to the advice.

a fool born every day.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Return of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant future

And the FCO wonder why they have had a poor response to their advised completion of the pro-forma request ?

Interesting anti gov comments on the second link

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/th...f-goa/663271/4

http://www.indianexpress.com/comment...-shame/637362/
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:25 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

I cant get either of these links to work...........is it just me?

Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Return of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=johnny five;8800835]I cant get either of these links to work...........is it just me?

Hi J5,

Working for me albeit sslowly ! Perhaps if you copy and paste the links into google you will get them or perhaps a_f_d or a techie can help - anyway even if you just google" indian express " you will get the google results that way - good luck as they are worth a read !

K-C
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kan-conned
And the FCO wonder why they have had a poor response to their advised completion of the pro-forma request ?

that reminds me - can someone explain the rationale of filling in these pro-formas - is there any sort of promise that they will provide an outcome - i.e. is there any possible benefit or do they just add to the risk? (noni - can you ask BHC to comment?)

AndyD 8-)#

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.