Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

Wikiposts

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Originally Posted by a_f_d
In fact it's 12.9% APR starting from moment of withdrawal even if you pay in full each month - that's a tad over 1% per month (and sod's law says that's what you'll pay!)
In the past I've used Nationwide for speed but otherwise used ICICI bank transfers and money2India. ICICI had stopped their online transfer facility but it's supposed to be back again. I'll check when I have time and post the result.

AndyD 8-)#

P.S. I sent Nationwide a secure email to complain - they have tried to phone me about it twice but I was out.
If you've got an account with them EMAIL A COMPLAINT!
I emailed a complaint about the charges and the response I got was to tell me about the travel insurance so I replied and asked whether the insurance would give me the same cover as I have now with 90 days any one trip. The answer was no but I could pay for an upgrade!
Did you see that they are also increasing the charge for a Chaps or Swift payment from £20 to £25 and lengthening the time before you can draw cash or make a payment against a cheque you have deposited. A real backward step considering that it's all done by computer and should be, if not instant then at least just overnight to clear a cheque.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:41 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.navhindtimes.in/goa-news/...ong-term-visas

How very nice for them!

But under the Government of Indias own rules, is it legal? (Not that would bother Goa's Ruling Rabble)

Interesting to see the reasons given for doing this. Would it be so that Ex-pat Goans can spend more time with their families? Or extended holidays in their supposedly idyllic "native place"? Or spend time helping rid the place of the all pervasive corruption by assisting some of the hard pressed NGOs like Green Goa that are fighting against the tide?

No, its to allow them to deal with "Court Matters", now theres a surprise!

Talking about Green Goa/Goa Foundation, has anyone noticed how much Ali Kamat and his Faulty Thieves are happily paying Fomento's (owners of the illegally encroaching hotel that resulted in the law being retrospectively changed to protect them) to sort the Sonsoddo Garbage Theme Park (Kaka-Land)?
Several times what they were unable to pay Green Goa/Goa Foundation..........but then that would not have involved kick-backs, would it?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=johnny five;8768327]http://www.navhindtimes.in/goa-news/...ong-term-visas

[QUOTE]

Johnny I don't understand this announcement!! Indians from UK have always been able to have 5 year visas, previously 5 year tourist now 5 year entry. (I can't think Goans were excluded). Perhaps this article was to inform the relatives in Goa, so that those in UK have no excuse not to come home to Goa and sort out family problems!!!!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Eduardo Faleiro must live an a different planet to most of us - i) according to all the sources I've seen OCI is for life, not 30 years ii) there's currently a lot of fuss in the US because NRI/PIO's are being refused [10 year] Tourist visas and told to apply for the much more expensive 5 year X visas, so Eduardo Faleiro's offer to NRG's is no big deal!

AndyD 8-)#
Old Aug 11th 2010, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Bipat;8768404][QUOTE=johnny five;8768327]http://www.navhindtimes.in/goa-news/...ong-term-visas

Johnny I don't understand this announcement!! Indians from UK have always been able to have 5 year visas, previously 5 year tourist now 5 year entry. (I can't think Goans were excluded). Perhaps this article was to inform the relatives in Goa, so that those in UK have no excuse not to come home to Goa and sort out family problems!!!!
REAL Goans are few and far between within Goa's borders. ie there are more Goans overseas than any other territory as percentage of their total genuine number. Under the current rules, many are being prevented from visiting Goa and from the reports bandied about, most are being treated shabbily by consulates and HCs worldwide, to the point of being denied visas altogether. This initiative by Faleiro may be a follow up to attempts made over the last 8 years to correct the situation.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: In To-day's Newspapers

[QUOTE=wheatsheaf;8769735][QUOTE=Bipat;8768404]
Originally Posted by johnny five
http://www.navhindtimes.in/goa-news/...ong-term-visas

REAL Goans are few and far between within Goa's borders. ie there are more Goans overseas than any other territory as percentage of their total genuine number. Under the current rules, many are being prevented from visiting Goa and from the reports bandied about, most are being treated shabbily by consulates and HCs worldwide, to the point of being denied visas altogether. This initiative by Faleiro may be a follow up to attempts made over the last 8 years to correct the situation.
How does this come about? Is it Goans with Portuguese passports that have problems? How are they treated differently from other Indians and why? Is it because of the old veto on Indians visiting Portugal? what about those who are born in Goa but have parents from outside do they have trouble getting a visa when they move abroad?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:00 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

It would appear, at least for some in the USA, that the reason visas are preferred over PIO is financial.
There is a letter in today's Herald where a guy says that PIO costs $500, so for wife and three kids thats $2500. This seems to indicate that many prefer to use visas as they work out cheaper..................remember, in USA you can get a 10 year tourist visa, and PIO only lasts for 15 years anyway.

Also, Bipat, could you be a bit more careful with your "quotes" please? Your last post appears to attribute the paragraph to me whereas it was actually written by Wheatsheaf.

Last edited by johnny five; Aug 11th 2010 at 8:04 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It would appear, at least for some in the USA, that the reason visas are preferred over PIO is financial.
There is a letter in today's Herald where a guy says that PIO costs $500, so for wife and three kids thats $2500. This seems to indicate that many prefer to use visas as they work out cheaper..................remember, in USA you can get a 10 year tourist visa, and PIO only lasts for 15 years anyway.

Also, Bipat, could you be a bit more careful with your "quotes" please? Your last post appears to attribute the paragraph to me whereas it was actually written by Wheatsheaf.
Sorry Johnny, Wheatsheaf had included your quote in his quote and I did not delete it.
Also my post was asking for info from Wheatsheaf as to why 'Goans' were being refused any sort of visa.
Yes you are right PIO cards are expensive particularly when you are at an age when you may not have that many more 5 years left (the reason we did not pursue the PIO option).
Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:29 pm
Banned

Yes you are right PIO cards are expensive particularly when you are at an age when you may not have that many more 5 years left (the reason we did not pursue the PIO option).
Now you've gone and made me feel all sad! Sure there's plenty of life left in you anyway, remember, I've read your posts!

Certainly in the USA the economics dont make sense. Pretty sure a 10 year tourist visa is about $150. Also, most Indians I have spoken to dont see the attraction of returning to the "Mother Country" on too regular a basis. Apart from the filth and garbage, they say they get tapped up for money by every obscure "relative" under the sun. Always for urgent medical treatment or education, of course......the new bike/car or flat-screen tv just appear by magic!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Bipat;8770451][QUOTE=wheatsheaf;8769735]
Originally Posted by Bipat

How does this come about? Is it Goans with Portuguese passports that have problems? How are they treated differently from other Indians and why? Is it because of the old veto on Indians visiting Portugal? what about those who are born in Goa but have parents from outside do they have trouble getting a visa when they move abroad?
One word: resentment.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Also, most Indians I have spoken to dont see the attraction of returning to the "Mother Country" on too regular a basis. Apart from the filth and garbage, they say they get tapped up for money by every obscure "relative" under the sun. Always for urgent medical treatment or education, of course......the new bike/car or flat-screen tv just appear by magic!
Fortunately our relatives are not like that. (Their cars are bigger than ours.)Garbage-- I suppose we have become immune to it!! Now we spend more time there.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=wheatsheaf;8772586]
Originally Posted by wheatsheaf

One word: resentment.
Why should Goans be resented more than other Indians? Is that a valid reason not to give a visa? As a British person I have in the past been 'resented' by the 'jobsworth' at the counter but I still get the 5 year visa after argument.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Bipat;8772761]
Originally Posted by wheatsheaf

Why should Goans be resented more than other Indians? Is that a valid reason not to give a visa? As a British person I have in the past been 'resented' by the 'jobsworth' at the counter but I still get the 5 year visa after argument.
no. It's not a valid reason. But has 'reason' any role? Ask them!!!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

So do none of you have anything to say about David Cameron making it easier and cheaper for Indians to enter the UK? Sensibly President Obama has upped the price!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by msj5
So do none of you have anything to say about David Cameron making it easier and cheaper for Indians to enter the UK? ...
He did - when?

AndyD 8-)#

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.