Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

Wikiposts

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:22 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

http://www.digitalgoa.com/ca_disp.php?id=1292

River Princess.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

kernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the rough

strangest supposedly factual thing i have read in a paper for a long time:

India reports that on average 200 witches a year are killed in India...not summit u read everyday
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

kernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the rough

and now they have given Mikkey bail after going on the trot last time.....only in India...
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kernowpisky
strangest supposedly factual thing i have read in a paper for a long time:

India reports that on average 200 witches a year are killed in India...not summit u read everyday
I read an in depth article about this last year. Seems the 'witches' usually turn out to have a property dispute with their family and/or are recent widows who have inherited their husband's property - and are refusing to hand it over to male members of the family to 'look after'.

AndyD 8-)#
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

always seems to boil down to money....

today i see reports of further erosion at Sinquerim beach, they allege its eroded by 15 meters in one month...cant believe that really , at that rate Mapusa will be a sea side town by next year.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kernowpisky
always seems to boil down to money....

today i see reports of further erosion at Sinquerim beach, they allege its eroded by 15 meters in one month...cant believe that really , at that rate Mapusa will be a sea side town by next year.
They are rather prone to exaggeration (both over & under) - 15 metres does seem excessive & at that rate I'm going to get really worried as I live just off Fort Aguada Road by Acron Arcade!

But the photo of the remains of Shiro's on front page of T.O.I. was an indication of the power of the sea during monsoon. I've watched that edifice slowly crumble over the past 2 monsoons.

It's also sad to read that Sinquerim beach is not going to benefit from any funds to save it from beach erosion. Perhaps they realise it is now a lost cause!

When I first came to Goa in the late 1980's the Candolim/Sinquerim stretch of beach was about as close to my idea of a paradise beach as I thought possible. I can hardly walk along it now, especially the Sinquerim end.

Back to "under exaggeration" - they refer in the papers to the huge gaping hole in the seaward side of the River Princess as a "crack" - for God's sake, Goa, wake up & get real!!!

Must go for another beach stroll later to check out the damage.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:40 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting read;

http://goanobserver.com/titan-incapa...0%93-anil.html

Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

old man will become famous soon enoughold man will become famous soon enough

Mickky Demands Arrest of Home Minister’s Son for Drug Links
28 Jul: Goa 365. Former Goa tourism Minister Francisco Xavier Pacheco has demanded arrest of Roy Naik, a son of state home minister Ravi Naik in the drug nexus case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syzlE0pkXHA
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:03 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Mother of Scarlett Keeling wants trial to help tourists
30 Jul: BBC. Fiona MacKeown says she hopes the trial into the death of her daughter will encourage tourists to seek justice... she said she hoped the case would make Goa a better place for visitors... The trial is expected to continue for the rest of the year
www.goanvoice.org.uk
Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by noni
30 Jul: BBC. Fiona MacKeown says she hopes the trial into the death of her daughter will encourage tourists to seek justice... she said she hoped the case would make Goa a better place for visitors... The trial is expected to continue for the rest of the year
www.goanvoice.org.uk
Did you see thr item lower down the page about kickbacks. amusing.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 11:11 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Something some of you may have missed?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/savings...=7&expand=true

If you think it will affect you, complain bitterly.......it doesnt affect me at the moment, but have already complained bitterly.

Have you?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:54 pm

http://oheraldo.in/
photo of some of the coconut trees uprooted at Singuerim close to the River Princess
Old Jul 31st 2010, 6:22 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noni
www.goanvoice.org.uk

Some of the comments attached to the Scarlett articles are quite interesting to read.

Dread - x
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

sandyscot is a jewel in the roughsandyscot is a jewel in the roughsandyscot is a jewel in the roughsandyscot is a jewel in the rough

With Nationwide now charging 2% for using my card abroad and the Goan banks only allowing 10,000 rupees maximum per transaction and charging 200 rupees for each withdrawal, I am going back to travellers cheques. I get them free i.e. no commission so I reckon this will save me quite a bit over the season. Seems a backwards step but I hate being ripped off by the banks, so what else can you do?
Old Aug 1st 2010, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sandyscot
With Nationwide now charging 2% for using my card abroad and the Goan banks only allowing 10,000 rupees maximum per transaction and charging 200 rupees for each withdrawal, I am going back to travellers cheques. I get them free i.e. no commission so I reckon this will save me quite a bit over the season. Seems a backwards step but I hate being ripped off by the banks, so what else can you do?
As I put in a previous post it`s only HDFC charging 200 rs per withdrawal. Nationwide are already charging £1 per withdrawal outside of Europe. The 2% is going to be on purchases not cash withdrawal. With Nationwide you do at least get the full exchange rate- not the tourist rate which is quite often in excess of 1rs to the pound less!! Which if drawing £150 on travellers cheques equates to 150rs-£2 at the current exchange rate.That`s double what you would have paid to Nationwide for the same amount of money!!If you are talking of sterling travellers cheques please let me know where you get them commission free?You certainly will pay commission to exchange them.Nationwide will still be the cheapest fot cash withdrawal outside of Europe. J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.