Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

Wikiposts

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Videos for Britain Today on Youtube
BRITAIN TODAY
6 min - 7 Apr 2010
Uploaded by Monarchoflos
www.youtube.com

I don't think I have managed to copy the link. Just google "Britain Today on YouTube" & have a watch.

Perhaps that is one reason why India is getting so paranoid over visas.

We should be a bit paranoid too, methinks....................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h2XBZz88VE

Last edited by noni; Sep 6th 2010 at 7:40 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:16 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven..._storm_couple_

Honeymoon’s over for visa storm couple
Old Sep 7th 2010, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by noni
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven..._storm_couple_

Honeymoon’s over for visa storm couple
A good travel agent would know that a visa is needed and tell you how to apply. We were advised that we needed visas on our first trip and each subsequent trip that we booked through a travel agent, they even gave us details of a visa service which we used on the first occasion. Now of course I book scheduled flights over the net. I do feel sorry for the people having lost all that money. On one flight a few years ago I chatted to an Irish woman who was flying out to visit her daughter who was working in Mumbai, she did not have a visa as no one had told her, not even her daughter, to get one. I assume she got put on the next flight back but I don't know.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Banyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by k800mer
A good travel agent would know that a visa is needed and tell you how to apply. We were advised that we needed visas on our first trip and each subsequent trip that we booked through a travel agent, they even gave us details of a visa service which we used on the first occasion. Now of course I book scheduled flights over the net. I do feel sorry for the people having lost all that money. On one flight a few years ago I chatted to an Irish woman who was flying out to visit her daughter who was working in Mumbai, she did not have a visa as no one had told her, not even her daughter, to get one. I assume she got put on the next flight back but I don't know.

This is so sad! It is a shame something could not have been done to help this couple. There should have been info put in the small print advising them of visa requirments.

Wonder if they could sue for compo?

Banyan.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Banyan
This is so sad! It is a shame something could not have been done to help this couple. There should have been info put in the small print advising them of visa requirments.

Wonder if they could sue for compo?

Banyan.
How many people actually read the small print. It should have been in large type on their invoice, as it is it is probably just their word against that of the travel agent so not a good bet to sue.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

Banyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura about

How many people actually read the small print. It should have been in large type on their invoice, as it is it is probably just their word against that of the travel agent so not a good bet to sue.
Mmm... yes agree at the end of the day they could have to pay costs. What a terrible thing to have happened to a young couple starting out their married life. They must be gutted.

Banyan.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Mmm... yes agree at the end of the day they could have to pay costs. What a terrible thing to have happened to a young couple starting out their married life. They must be gutted.

Banyan.
They could take it to the small claims court themselves as it is under the limit so keep their costs down and it may not be defended in which case they would be lucky but then they would need to be able to collect the money which can be a problem.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

They could take it to the small claims court themselves as it is under the limit so keep their costs down and it may not be defended in which case they would be lucky but then they would need to be able to collect the money which can be a problem.
Hi K800mer. Don't understand re collecting the money, what do you mean?

Banyan.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi K800mer. Don't understand re collecting the money, what do you mean?

Banyan.
If you win an order against someone you still have to collect any money yourself or get bailiffs involved if the person/company the order is against do not pay up. This in itself can be expensive and small companies have been known to close down rather than pay then open a new company to continue trading.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

If you win an order against someone you still have to collect any money yourself or get bailiffs involved if the person/company the order is against do not pay up. This in itself can be expensive and small companies have been known to close down rather than pay then open a new company to continue trading.
Bl**rly hell! And they say crime doesn't pay!

Banyan.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 8:58 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

They are not a young couple, they are both 43.

The only thing that is sad is that they were so bl**dy stupid to think they could travel half way round the world and not even check if a visa was needed.

And while we are on "stupid", why were they paying THREE GRAND to go to Goa in August, with everything shut and the monsoon still on?

A load of rubbish to fill an empty newspaper......read the comments after the article, at least the readers of the MEN have got brains.

Oh, and where does the idea that they are due any form of compensation come from? They were not mis-advised, at worst they were not advised at all so blundered on regardless. Caveat Emptor as they say in Manchester.....

Last edited by johnny five; Sep 7th 2010 at 9:00 am.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johnny five
They are not a young couple, they are both 43.

The only thing that is sad is that they were so bl**dy stupid to think they could travel half way round the world and not even check if a visa was needed.

And while we are on "stupid", why were they paying THREE GRAND to go to Goa in August, with everything shut and the monsoon still on?

A load of rubbish to fill an empty newspaper......read the comments after the article, at least the readers of the MEN have got brains.

Oh, and where does the idea that they are due any form of compensation come from? They were not mis-advised, at worst they were not advised at all so blundered on regardless. Caveat Emptor as they say in Manchester.....

Yes but you are forgetting that in the nanny state no one is responsible for themselves anymore, you only have to read the recent newspaper article about a family of 14 who ruined their previous house (it is costing 25k to make habitable again) are complaining that the house they are in now (B&B) is not big enough and the 96k (including housing benefit) that they are receiving in benefits is not enough.
As someone who has never claimed a penny in benefits and has paid income tax and national insurance all my working life and still pays income tax I find it insulting that they waste my money in this fashion.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 11:08 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but you are forgetting that in the nanny state no one is responsible for themselves anymore, you only have to read the recent newspaper article about a family of 14 who ruined their previous house (it is costing 25k to make habitable again) are complaining that the house they are in now (B&B) is not big enough and the 96k (including housing benefit) that they are receiving in benefits is not enough.
As someone who has never claimed a penny in benefits and has paid income tax and national insurance all my working life and still pays income tax I find it insulting that they waste my money in this fashion.

I am in total agreement with you here K800 MER.
Why are we taxpayers coughing up ridiculous sums of money to support people who can't be bothered to work, can't be bothered to use birth control, can't be trusted to live in a house without destroying it, and in fact can't be bothered to behave like decent human beings?
I wish I had an income of 96K per year - I don't even get close to that by working full time !!!!

It makes me sick!!

Dread - disgusted
x
Old Sep 7th 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
I am in total agreement with you here K800 MER.
Why are we taxpayers coughing up ridiculous sums of money to support people who can't be bothered to work, can't be bothered to use birth control, can't be trusted to live in a house without destroying it, and in fact can't be bothered to behave like decent human beings?
I wish I had an income of 96K per year - I don't even get close to that by working full time !!!!

It makes me sick!!

Dread - disgusted
x
Totally agree. It is the British Government that needs to get this sorted and fast! Firstly by giving people that won't work give them not money but food and clothing coupons for their families. The family with 10 kids claiming
£93K a year is claiming for all they can get including disability allowance etc.

Official bills should be produced for the help they are claiming for such as cleaning and gardening and taxi fares etc. Why are they housed in large houses and in middle class areas. Surely they should housed in houses that are due to be knock down or whatever. There is no motivation for parents to go and work, as they are content to live off benefit and all the kids! THE MORE KIDS THE MORE MONEY!

Banyan.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

wallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nice

Yesterdays Herald reports, four foreign owned properties confiscated.Any of them Brits? The ED is now acting, says Kamat. 400 cases referred. Where is Stagg & Co.?

Wally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.