Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jan 29th 2021, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by darkneal
from the sound of it there just isn't any choice either, from what everyone is saying its a long-term move. We either put up with it, or put off the move until 2022! ive already put off the move multiple times including as recently as the 1st of Feb, (was meant to move monday) BUT it just keeps getting worse, not better!

There always seems to be SOMETHING trying to stop me but i'm not going to throw away my dreams this time, and i sincerely hope you don't either. Your employer will have to understand the circumstances, and maybe something good will come of it...
The good thing is that you might get the vaccine in the UK way sooner than in Canada. Whether Canada accepts that you have been vaccinated and are able to prove it in lieu of quarantine is however highly unlikely. They still want to force you to pay $2000 and it's certainly not the Royal York Hotel in Toronto.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

darkneal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
The good thing is that you might get the vaccine in the UK way sooner than in Canada. Whether Canada accepts that you have been vaccinated and are able to prove it in lieu of quarantine is however highly unlikely. They still want to force you to pay $2000 and it's certainly not the Royal York Hotel in Toronto.
ha, im not due the jab here until the Autumn...not gonna wait till then!
Old Jan 29th 2021, 7:08 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darkneal
from the sound of it there just isn't any choice either, from what everyone is saying its a long-term move. We either put up with it, or put off the move until 2022! ive already put off the move multiple times including as recently as the 1st of Feb, (was meant to move monday) BUT it just keeps getting worse, not better!

There always seems to be SOMETHING trying to stop me but i'm not going to throw away my dreams this time, and i sincerely hope you don't either. Your employer will have to understand the circumstances, and maybe something good will come of it...
Oh they'd have no choice really. It's not my fault and the alternative for them would be restarting the recruitment process which could take months. I've looked at it today and I could possibly bring my move forward to Valentine's weekend but not any sooner than that realistically. Even that is pushing it because it only gives me 2 weeks to prepare and I'd budgeted for 3.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If you were thinking of sneaking into Canada via Mexico to avoid quarantine, you're out of luck.

https://apnews.com/article/travel-ju...26b0eb4441cd9c
That explains the sudden announcement from Air Transat a few days ago, at least the airlines got advance notice.

Sucks for anyone who left and now might be stranded, but they were warned many times not to travel outside Canada.

Old Jan 29th 2021, 7:37 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That explains the sudden announcement from Air Transat a few days ago, at least the airlines got advance notice.

Sucks for anyone who left and now might be stranded, but they were warned many times not to travel outside Canada.
No, they're running repatriation flights for them. It's mostly new immigrants, people travelling for family reasons and returning students etc who are going to suffer.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 7:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest anyone who needs to be here gets a flight asap!

"the federal government indicated that it could take a few weeks before the policy goes into effect."
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-t...licy-1.5287384

"as soon as possible in the coming weeks.." Trudeau
https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2129281&jwsource=cl

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 29th 2021 at 8:01 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 8:07 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Siouxie
So in other words, those folks who flew off to lap up the winter sun in Cancun or Punta Cana and whom Trudeau hinted caused the whole policy to be created in the first place are likely going to be the same people least affected by it. They'll all be repatriated by Transat and Sunwing over the next week or so.

Meanwhile people immigrating from parts of Europe, Asia and elsewhere who have already invested thousands and are preparing to upheave their whole lives over the next couple of months suddenly have to deal with more uncertainty and find thousands of extra dollars from somewhere.

You really couldn't make it up.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
So in other words, those folks who flew off to lap up the winter sun in Cancun or Punta Cana and whom Trudeau hinted caused the whole policy to be created in the first place are likely going to be the same people least affected by it. They'll all be repatriated by Transat and Sunwing over the next week or so.

Meanwhile people immigrating from parts of Europe, Asia and elsewhere who have already invested thousands and are preparing to upheave their whole lives over the next couple of months suddenly have to deal with more uncertainty and find thousands of extra dollars from somewhere.

You really couldn't make it up.
So, those tourists who get repatriated by Transat and Sunwings not only get the flight for free, but also don't have to pay the $ 2000, whilst immigrants or citizens moving back to Canada get to pay.

I honestly think it's a charter violation to charge every Canadian entering Canada $ 2000 for 3 nights in an airport hotel. I truly hope this gets challenged legally.

I also don't think it's Trudeau's idea. I think Ford put him up for this. I never thought a conservative politician can be so out of line.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 8:54 pm
Sidecar Falcon

So, those tourists who get repatriated by Transat and Sunwings not only get the flight for free, but also don't have to pay the $ 2000, whilst immigrants or citizens moving back to Canada get to pay.

I honestly think it's a charter violation to charge every Canadian entering Canada $ 2000 for 3 nights in an airport hotel. I truly hope this gets challenged legally.

I also don't think it's Trudeau's idea. I think Ford put him up for this. I never thought a conservative politician can be so out of line.
I think this is to prevent the invocation of the emergencies act. Rather than using the law to prevent Canadians from leaving the country for non-essential purposes like the UK and Australia have done, Canada is looking to work around its own constitution by punishing those landing for the first time or seeking re-entry instead.

I don't know how you can really invoke this against refugees though, especially if they extend it from airports to include the land border. Canada isn't Australia with thousands of square miles of salt water keeping it separated from the nearest other country. It shares the longest land border on Earth.

So far as I can see, Ford is forcing all international passengers travelling through Toronto to undergo a covid test immediately and isn't waiting for the federal government to enact these measures. What isn't 100% clear is what will happen to you if you test positive after landing in Toronto at the moment.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

. What isn't 100% clear is what will happen to you if you test positive after landing in Toronto at the moment.
I thought that if you were positive you'd end up in the same place as if you didn't demonstrate an adequate quarantine plan. You would have been taken to an undisclosed hotel around the airport for 14 days. In the case if your infection gets worse you'd gotten treatment. If that treatment was in the hotel room, or at a hospital would probably tend of the severity of the infection. Up to now the government mandated hotel near the airport was free of charge, at least according to my knowledge.

I still don't think that under the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms they can charge a citizen $2000 just to re-enter the country, no matter if he / she is returning from life abroad, or just for a vacation ( which one shouldn't take anyway these days). I think this matter, if they do what they planned to, will end up in court at some point.

For immigrants there is the right of landing fee to pay, plus on top of that it'll be another $2000, and if you're looking at a family of four, you can imagine the cost.

I also don't know how they came up with the amount of $2000? It's another question. Why not $ 3000 or $ 1000?
Old Jan 29th 2021, 9:47 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I thought that if you were positive you'd end up in the same place as if you didn't demonstrate an adequate quarantine plan. You would have been taken to an undisclosed hotel around the airport for 14 days. In the case if your infection gets worse you'd gotten treatment. If that treatment was in the hotel room, or at a hospital would probably tend of the severity of the infection. Up to now the government mandated hotel near the airport was free of charge, at least according to my knowledge.

I still don't think that under the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms they can charge a citizen $2000 just to re-enter the country, no matter if he / she is returning from life abroad, or just for a vacation ( which one shouldn't take anyway these days). I think this matter, if they do what they planned to, will end up in court at some point.

For immigrants there is the right of landing fee to pay, plus on top of that it'll be another $2000, and if you're looking at a family of four, you can imagine the cost.

I also don't know how they came up with the amount of $2000? It's another question. Why not $ 3000 or $ 1000?
Worryingly today they said the cost would be at least $2000 per person which means as of right now they can charge you whatever the hell they like.

But yeah, your average family of new immigrants with 2 parents and 3 kids could be looking at a minimum bill of 10 grand. Considering the majority of immigrants to Canada come from India these days, for some that could constitute an annual salary.

When I looked into what a government "quarantine facility" meant, it seemed to be a hotel room and over the last 11 months, some returning Canadians have been placed in hotel suites at no cost to themselves. One guy returning from South America after 10 years and with no quarantine plan said it was the most luxury he'd ever experienced in his life. It's possible they're now trying to recuperate those costs.

If anyone who fails the test on arrival ends up spending the full 2 weeks in a hotel at no extra cost then suddenly the $2k figure starts to make more sense. The many basically end up subsidising the bill for the few.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 29th 2021 at 9:52 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 9:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

What isn't 100% clear is what will happen to you if you test positive after landing in Toronto at the moment.
At the moment you would be required to isolate for 14 days. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ions/isolation

Once the new rules come into place, if you test positive during your 3 day hotel stay you will be taken to a Government Installation where you will remain for 11 days at minimum.. but that isn't in place yet.
Travellers will stay in and pay for their hotel, as well as all associated costs for food, cleaning and security, while they await the results of the COVID-19 molecular test they received on arrival.
See news release: (Official) https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-c...al-travel.html
As soon as possible in the coming weeks, all air travellers arriving in Canada, with very limited exceptions, must reserve a room in a Government of Canada-approved hotel for three nights at their own cost, and take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival at their own cost. More details will be available in the coming days.
The testing on arrival at own cost is new.

However!!!

Toronto testing starts on Monday 1st February.

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/6...-19-variants-1
To address the risks associated with variants of concern to the health of Ontarians, the Chief Medical Officer of Health is issuing a Section 22 order under Section 77.1 of the Health Protection and Promotion Act, mandating on-arrival testing for international travellers at Toronto Pearson International Airport effective at 12:01 p.m. on February 1, 2021 and exploring additional testing measures at Pearson International Airport and land border crossings in the coming weeks.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 29th 2021 at 10:04 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 10:04 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Once the new rules come into place, if you test positive during your 3 day hotel stay you will be taken to a Government Installation where you will remain for 11 days at minimum..
Am I the only person who finds that absolutely terrifying?

Interestingly that press release mainly refers to non-essential travel. With that in mind, shouldn't new immigrants and those referring for work or family commitments really be exempt? Or at least from the associated cost anyway.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 10:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only person who finds that absolutely terrifying?

Interestingly that press release mainly refers to non-essential travel. With that in mind, shouldn't new immigrants and those referring for work or family commitments really be exempt? Or at least from the associated cost anyway.
Are you really, really, 100% sure you want to live here? Today there is talk of lockdown restrictions in the GTA to go on until at least June. We seem to be well behind most other developed countries for the vaccine roll out.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 10:40 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you really, really, 100% sure you want to live here? Today there is talk of lockdown restrictions in the GTA to go on until at least June. We seem to be well behind most other developed countries for the vaccine roll out.
Honestly, no and I did mention that a few posts back. I was happy to undergo the 2 weeks of mandatory quarantine and even content to get preflight test a couple of days before departure, with all the additional uncertainty that brings but this really seems like a step too far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.