Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jan 30th 2021, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

synaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

The way I'm looking at this is that I have a job starting in Canada and therefore we will just have to stomach whatever restrictions/hurdles they put into place. Really not so bothered abut 3 days of quarantine in a hotel and a potential 11 in a quarantine facility. If that's what I have to do to get into Canada then that's what I've got to do. Though it's probably a little easier for me to be blasé about it given that my partner and I are almost certainly immune to Covid for the time being having had it in December so it's extremely unlikely we would test positive at any point. We also have a very understanding and flexible airbnb host who will almost certainly allow us to change our booking if we have to.

I am also not sure how sinister 'government facility' really is in the context of Canada's generally liberal culture & politics. It's hardly going to Nauru or Yarls Wood. I mean you could call a primary school a government facility...

It is also worth adding a note of cautious optimism to this thread. Understandably we're all stressed and panicking about yet more restrictions/hurdles to jump over while we're in the middle of moving our whole lives to another country but it's worth remembering that the policy details have not yet been announced. Transport Canada have said there will be 'limited exemptions' and all the rhetoric (as well as the political context with all those holiday scandals) has been around non-essential travel and Canadians going on holiday during the pandemic. If you were being generous/optimistic/naieve (delete as appropriate to your worldview) you could say that this policy - as announced - is clearly not intended to impact immigrants. There is a chance that the 'limited exemptions' could include new immigrants in some respect - possibly through fee waivers/reductions etc.. Though of course even if it's not intended to impact immigrants it could just be bad policy and impact us anyway. Knowing my luck they will introduce it on the day we are due to fly and then add an exemption to immigrants a month or two down the line...

The political impetus for this policy is clearly the holidays scandal so the announcement will be intended to head that off at the pass. It's entirely possible that the policy itself will be less harsh than the rhetoric implies as the driving force behind it is politics rather than health policy.

Basically, wait and see what the policy substance is. I will start panicking when it's clear there is something to panic about... The potential extra cost is concerning but not insurmountable for us.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darkneal
i've just come to accept this new measure, i think they are a good idea to essentially stop anyone travelling on a whim, its just a shame its in my time line for travel. The earliest i can leave is the 1st march so i imagine by then that will probably be the first week the new rules will be in full effect...personally, ive had so many things happen that have prevented me from travelling in my life since the original plan of last september that this new curve ball doesn't surprise me at all. If I wait a bit longer and cancel again im pretty sure things will be even harder to travel down the linel, there will be another curve ball.

only thing im worried about is the conditions of the hotel for those 3 days, and what happens with meals. I'm Gluten Free and generally just have a fussy belly so can't just eat any trash they throw at me!
You really expecting full board for that $2000?
Old Jan 30th 2021, 2:41 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
It will include bed and board plus the test. However it's for up to 3 days so it could be for 1 night only or for a full 72 hours.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

darkneal is an unknown quantity at this point

i don't understand whats so funny? One thing your message certainly isn't is constructive, i can tell you that.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
It will include bed and board plus the test. However it's for up to 3 days so it could be for 1 night only or for a full 72 hours.
I had assumed the $2000, was for up to 14 days. For 3 days that's daylight robbery! Just on the news now that France and Germany have basically closed their borders, France to all non eu people and Germany to all ''high risk" countries. Despite vaccines and all manner of restrictions and lockdown we seem to be going backwards. I don't know what the hell is going on but as Piers Morgan would say " the world's gone nuts"!

Last edited by Revin Kevin; Jan 30th 2021 at 6:12 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 6:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I have no doubt that it will be partially subsidised... but according to news reports it will include..
Trudeau said in addition to the pre-boarding test Canada already requires, the government will be introducing mandatory PCR testing at the airport for people returning to Canada.

“Travelers will then have to wait for up to three *nights at an approved hotel for their test results, at their own expense, which is expected to be more than $2000,” Trudeau said.

“Those with negative test results will then be able to quarantine at home under significantly increased surveillance and enforcement.”

The steep cost for the hotel stay includes the cost for a private PCR test, security, food and the cost of measures the designated hotels will have to take to keep their workers safe.

The prime minister said those with positive tests will be immediately required to quarantine in designated government facilities to make sure they’re not carrying variants of particular concern.
*official word is it will be 3 nights..

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 30th 2021 at 6:14 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 6:27 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I had assumed the $2000, was for up to 14 days. For 3 days that's daylight robbery! Just on the news now that France and Germany have basically closed their borders, France to all non eu people and Germany to all ''high risk" countries. Despite vaccines and all manner of restrictions and lockdown we seem to be going backwards. I don't know what the hell is going on but as Piers Morgan would say " the world's gone nuts"!
I think it covers the full 14 days if you test positive on arrival. Otherwise they believe they're doing you a favour by allowing you to leave and complete quarantine elsewhere.

But you're right, it is steep. In Australia you pay $3000 AUD but that covers your full bed and board in at least a 4 star hotel for 2 weeks and in the unlikely event you need to stay in the hotel longer then there's no extra charge. You can order delivery food etc to supplement their menu if you like though.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 30th 2021 at 6:32 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darkneal
i don't understand whats so funny? One thing your message certainly isn't is constructive, i can tell you that.
Think of it as gallows humour if it helps.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I have no doubt that it will be partially subsidised... but according to news reports it will include..

The steep cost for the hotel stay includes the cost for a private PCR test, security, food and the cost of measures the designated hotels will have to take to keep their workers safe.

*official word is it will be 3 nights..

$2,000 is not a bad price if you have to pay the full cost of 24/7 security as well as room and board and extra costs to the hotel.

I also heard a commentator on the radio say that it was also supposed to be deterrent for people leaving the country is they know that they will have to pay a compulsory $2,000 and a 3 night mandatory quarantine on their return.

At least if you test positive during that 3 days, the next 11 nights will be on the government ....... but very probably NOT as luxurious as the first night.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 9:47 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by scilly
$2,000 is not a bad price if you have to pay the full cost of 24/7 security as well as room and board and extra costs to the hotel.
The security is for the benefit of the government, not the guests. It's Canada, not Afghanistan.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 9:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I also heard a commentator on the radio say that it was also supposed to be deterrent for people leaving the country is they know that they will have to pay a compulsory $2,000 and a 3 night mandatory quarantine on their return.

At least if you test positive during that 3 days, the next 11 nights will be on the government ....... but very probably NOT as luxurious as the first night.

I agree...it’s supposed to be a deterrent.

Are you sure the next 11 nights are on the gov?
Old Jan 30th 2021, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Government seems about a year late in doing this. If they had done this last January, maybe things would not have gotten out of hand.

Old Jan 30th 2021, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

As already has been said, the cost and the mandatory quarantine (along with the whole ban on trips to Sun destinations till April) is largely in place to help stop non essential travel. Much like the semi rich and almost famous Brits have grown weary of the restrictions and flown off to Dubai in droves. To either come back and break quarantine, or just accept staying at home for 2 weeks post trip - that's now out of the window.

For me its a huge step forward, and a step towards more open travel (although it doesn't seem like it now) I'm not going to say its too late/too early as hindsight is a wonderful thing. It really will separate essential travel out, stop people abusing the repeated repatriations I'm seeing on other forums etc.

The bit which I'm interested in is how it works for those with onwards flights into other provinces, as I'm doubting Moncton/Regina/Halifax etc will have quarantine facilities. So makes sense you would quarantine at the initial point of entry which is controlled - but if testing positive you could end up doing 14 days in Government facilities in Alberta - to get an internal flight and then do another 14 days provincial quarantine directly after. Personally I'm fairly happy with the situation in as much as if I get PR/Student visa prior to the end of these measures - I'm in a place both mentally and financially to endure this quarantine (granted if the extra 11 days required for a positive would bump the $2000 3 day cost up to $9000 I'd have to have a rethink on value - but assuming the $2000 is a blanket charge regardless of time needed). I feel for those with limited funds who need to return home, but hope their will be some sort of assistance/grants available to help (as a one off!) those that need it.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 12:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Expensive if you have a family of 5 and are coming to settle as PR's - or start a new job under a TWP and don't have spare funds!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I agree...it’s supposed to be a deterrent.

Are you sure the next 11 nights are on the gov?
Until the Govt announce we can only guess.. but this was posted by news media... https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...ibbean-mexico/
People who test positive for COVID-19 will complete their quarantines at a separate federal facility, and the government will pick up the tab. Those whose COVID-19 test comes back negative will be allowed to complete their quarantine at home.
For those that don't like the restrictions already in place - there will be new surveillance procedures too..
Effective immediately, enforcement of 14-day self-isolation is being increased. Mr. Trudeau announced that staff from private security firms are visiting people who are supposed to be quarantining at home.

“We are increasing the number of calls we’re making from the federal government,” Mr. Trudeau said. “We’re hiring private security firms to help with those follow-ups and, of course, there will be particular focus given on returning travellers.”
Official word on surveillance:
To ensure travellers’ awareness and compliance with quarantine requirements, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is working with security companies to help complete compliance checks for travellers arriving in Canada. Employees of these companies were trained by PHAC and authorized as Screening Officers under the Quarantine Act. These Screening Officers will visit travellers’ quarantine locations to establish contact, confirm identity and confirm that travellers are at the place of quarantine they identified upon entry into Canada. These new officers will conduct visits in 35 cities across the country, starting in Montréal and Toronto.
It's about to get interesting..... I suspect..
Old Jan 31st 2021, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Expensive if you have a family of 5 and are coming to settle as PR's - or start a new job under a TWP and don't have spare funds!
For those coming to settle as PRs I sort of think it may sift those coming with no job and no plan out, whilst keeping those with a job lined up/plans on investing etc still coming (something which hasn't been able to happen for some time now).

The awkward one will be your farm workers from the carribean/Mexico - although imagine they may come under some sort of exemption if things arent relaxed by then.

​​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.