Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jan 31st 2021, 4:23 am
  #751  
BE Forum Addict
 
ChrisBan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,098
ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Looks like quarantine hotel is possibly coming from Thursday

Travellers should prepare for post-flight testing, hotel quarantine as soon as Thursday: Alghabra

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/new...soon-1.5895349
ChrisBan is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2021, 4:39 am
  #752  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,960
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Yes, I am leaning towards that option tbh. I did already accept a job and I don't like letting people down or going back on my word but, as I said in my earlier post, it's starting to feel like this is just a sign from fate and my move to Canada just wasn't meant to happen.
I would just say that due to the COVID-19 situation your circumstances have changed and you are unable to immigrate to Canada. I wouldn't feel bad about it, the government are simply being too onerous and the restrictions have made you re-think whether Canada is actually a place you want to call home.

If my support system wasn't here I would be gone. So many of the attitudes people have here go against what I believe in, and it's quite taxing mentally living somewhere where you disagree with a lot of the rules and policies you have to follow on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
I fear the way this is going we're heading for a tripple lock of travel restrictions: vaccine, test(s) and quarantine could become the norm. The thing we used to moan about, the air fare will then be a small fraction of our travel costs.
Other countries have shown that it is possible to have shortened quarantine and rigorous testing without impacting convenience of travel, this is just not a political priority for Canada. It is very clear the political aim is to shame and punish travelers. It is absolutely ludicrous that part of the $2000 fee goes toward private security for law enforcement. Do we garnish prisoners bank accounts to pay for their care and correctional officers in the jails? No? So why should travelers have to pay out of pocket for someone to come check up on them and make sure they are following the law? Sounds alot like a private prison organization run by the government to me.
Gozit is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2021, 6:06 am
  #753  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 51,686
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
...I'm doubting Moncton/Regina/Halifax etc will have quarantine facilities...
I can shut someone off in a room or rooms at the end of the landing, with sole access to bathroom for $2000 pp if it's any help. Food and laundry included.

Originally Posted by scilly
The workers in BC were not given any exemption. I don't know what happened in Ontario.
They had to do the full 14 day quarantine..
That's how it went here too.
Exemptions for people living one side of the province border and working the other side but not TFWs.

People need to look Down Under for the benefits of quarantines upon arrival. I believe New Zealand funds it and those arriving in Australia. Life's pretty much normal because they took it seriously and acted accordingly.

In February, the Australian (Tennis) Open takes place. With spectators. The rugby championship has also taken place there - with spectators.
The British and Irish Lions tour of South Africa is in doubt. They had been considering at least playing the test matches between the Lions and South Africa in the UK and Ireland, without spectators of course.

But Australia has stepped forward offering to host the players and the tests. With spectators.




BristolUK is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2021, 6:18 am
  #754  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 2
scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Western Australia now in lockdown https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-covid-variant
scrubbedexpat099 is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2021, 6:26 am
  #755  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 432
Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
People need to look Down Under for the benefits of quarantines upon arrival. I believe New Zealand funds it and those arriving in Australia. Life's pretty much normal because they took it seriously and acted accordingly.

In February, the Australian (Tennis) Open takes place. With spectators. The rugby championship has also taken place there - with spectators.
The British and Irish Lions tour of South Africa is in doubt. They had been considering at least playing the test matches between the Lions and South Africa in the UK and Ireland, without spectators of course.

But Australia has stepped forward offering to host the players and the tests. With spectators.

Yep for me this is a big step towards normality and borders "opening" (quarantine will be stricter but non essential travel may be more plentiful)
Stumpylegs is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2021, 6:30 am
  #756  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 51,686
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Boiler
From the link - Not Western Australia, the south west part - "Western Australia has imposed a five-day lockdown in metropolitan Perth, the Peel region and the state’s South West amid fears a hotel quarantine worker who has tested positive to Covid-19 has contracted the highly contagious UK variant."

One positive test and see how seriously they treat it.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2021, 6:44 am
  #757  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Gozit
I would just say that due to the COVID-19 situation your circumstances have changed and you are unable to immigrate to Canada. I wouldn't feel bad about it, the government are simply being too onerous and the restrictions have made you re-think whether Canada is actually a place you want to call home.

If my support system wasn't here I would be gone. So many of the attitudes people have here go against what I believe in, and it's quite taxing mentally living somewhere where you disagree with a lot of the rules and policies you have to follow on a daily basis.

Other countries have shown that it is possible to have shortened quarantine and rigorous testing without impacting convenience of travel, this is just not a political priority for Canada. It is very clear the political aim is to shame and punish travelers. It is absolutely ludicrous that part of the $2000 fee goes toward private security for law enforcement. Do we garnish prisoners bank accounts to pay for their care and correctional officers in the jails? No? So why should travelers have to pay out of pocket for someone to come check up on them and make sure they are following the law? Sounds alot like a private prison organization run by the government to me.

DG is already a Permanent Resident - he was returning to live in Canada with a job lined up.. he's already given up his apt in the UK and made arrangements in Ontario.. a bit different to someone just starting the process.


Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2021, 6:48 am
  #758  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,960
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Siouxie

DG is already a Permanent Resident - he was returning to live in Canada with a job lined up.. he's already given up his apt in the UK and made arrangements in Ontario.. a bit different to someone just starting the process.
I'm giving him advice on what to say to his employer if he would like to remain in the UK in light of the new (and ever continuing) covid restrictions in our area. I know he is a PR.
Gozit is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2021, 7:19 am
  #759  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,504
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Gozit
I'm giving him advice on what to say to his employer if he would like to remain in the UK in light of the new (and ever continuing) covid restrictions in our area. I know he is a PR.
No, I appreciate your advice and I think you have the right idea tbh. That coupled with the idea that ongoing restrictions might mean that I will not know when I can see my family again just mean the cons are outweighing the pros on this really. Other than retaining my PR, I really can't see any reason to go at this point.

I was considering arriving sooner than planned and travelling early during the w/c 08/02/2021 but even that won't help now if they're going to introduce these measures on the 4th.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2021, 7:21 am
  #760  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,504
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Siouxie

DG is already a Permanent Resident - he was returning to live in Canada with a job lined up.. he's already given up his apt in the UK and made arrangements in Ontario.. a bit different to someone just starting the process.
Gozit is aware of my situation. I honestly think he is just trying to help.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2021, 8:20 am
  #761  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,960
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
No, I appreciate your advice and I think you have the right idea tbh. That coupled with the idea that ongoing restrictions might mean that I will not know when I can see my family again just mean the cons are outweighing the pros on this really. Other than retaining my PR, I really can't see any reason to go at this point.

I was considering arriving sooner than planned and travelling early during the w/c 08/02/2021 but even that won't help now if they're going to introduce these measures on the 4th.
Yep on my end not being able to see family easily is one thing keeping me in Canada lol... FL offered some hope saying that PRTD and PR status may be extended due to covid but I think that is on the discretion of the officer so that is no guarantee.
Gozit is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2021, 8:21 am
  #762  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,960
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
From the link - Not Western Australia, the south west part - "Western Australia has imposed a five-day lockdown in metropolitan Perth, the Peel region and the state’s South West amid fears a hotel quarantine worker who has tested positive to Covid-19 has contracted the highly contagious UK variant."

One positive test and see how seriously they treat it.
Yeah so anyone saying Australia is back to normal due to the quarantines, it isn't if they are implementing lockdowns on a whim. Back to normal = no lockdowns, no restrictions, complete 2019 freedom.
Gozit is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2021, 8:22 am
  #763  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,504
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yep on my end not being able to see family easily is one thing keeping me in Canada lol... FL offered some hope saying that PRTD and PR status may be extended due to covid but I think that is on the discretion of the officer so that is no guarantee.
Tbh, I think I've just had enough. I'm stressed, I'm exhausted and it really just feels as though it's not meant to be at this point and I don't want to continue trying to repeatedly smash a square peg into a round hole. I'm just not sure if it's really worth it.

I completely respect FL's opinion and always have but until the government formally announce a pause to RO requirements (which IMHO they really should have done when the travel restrictions were introduced last March) it's likely going to remain entirely at the whim of the processing officer.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 31st 2021 at 8:25 am.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2021, 8:39 am
  #764  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,960
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms (a calgary based constitutional law firm) is planning on suing the Trudeau government over hotel quarantine.


https://www.jccf.ca/federal-governme...g_HWJ9CgV3U1qg
Gozit is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2021, 8:55 am
  #765  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,504
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Gozit
Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms (a calgary based constitutional law firm) is planning on suing the Trudeau government over hotel quarantine.


https://www.jccf.ca/federal-governme...g_HWJ9CgV3U1qg
That could take years though. The best outcome that can come out of that is that anyone who was forced to undergo it at their own expense would receive a refund.
DigitalGhost is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.