Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
As already has been said, the cost and the mandatory quarantine (along with the whole ban on trips to Sun destinations till April) is largely in place to help stop non essential travel. Much like the semi rich and almost famous Brits have grown weary of the restrictions and flown off to Dubai in droves. To either come back and break quarantine, or just accept staying at home for 2 weeks post trip - that's now out of the window.

For me its a huge step forward, and a step towards more open travel (although it doesn't seem like it now) I'm not going to say its too late/too early as hindsight is a wonderful thing. It really will separate essential travel out, stop people abusing the repeated repatriations I'm seeing on other forums etc.

The bit which I'm interested in is how it works for those with onwards flights into other provinces, as I'm doubting Moncton/Regina/Halifax etc will have quarantine facilities. So makes sense you would quarantine at the initial point of entry which is controlled - but if testing positive you could end up doing 14 days in Government facilities in Alberta - to get an internal flight and then do another 14 days provincial quarantine directly after. Personally I'm fairly happy with the situation in as much as if I get PR/Student visa prior to the end of these measures - I'm in a place both mentally and financially to endure this quarantine (granted if the extra 11 days required for a positive would bump the $2000 3 day cost up to $9000 I'd have to have a rethink on value - but assuming the $2000 is a blanket charge regardless of time needed). I feel for those with limited funds who need to return home, but hope their will be some sort of assistance/grants available to help (as a one off!) those that need it.

Stumpy ............. it makes no difference, if the province you are going to demands 14 day quarantine, then you will have to do another 14 days on top of the quarantine at the point of entry.

The 4 Atlantic provinces have re-installed their bubble, I believe, so you can move freely within those. But if you enter Canada at Montreal or Toronto and are ending your journey in Moncton or Halifax, then, sorry ........ another 14 days.

Remember, you could get infected between leaving the quarantine and arriving in Moncton, and they are taking NO chances.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I understand. Thank you for replying honestly anyway. As you rightly say, it isn't your place but I'm just interested in the opinion of others tbh.
My opinion? If I was you i'd stay in the UK.

JerseyGirl is right. You won't want to live under the current restrictions...

JG - do you have a source on the lockdown being in place until June? I was hoping after the current stay at home order/GRAY lockdown expires on Feb 19 we would return to the Green/orange/red system.

These new restrictions are honestly a relief that they didn't put a travel authorization system like Australia - at least I can leave to see my grandfather if the situation gets bad. What terrifies me is the "increased surveillance." They are seriously going to send PI's to my door to make sure i'm in quarantine? They may as well keep me in the hotel for 14 days. I feel like that will have my anxiety on edge even though I fully intend to follow all protocols if I choose to travel.

What happens re Alberta program? I know as of 25 Jan the AB program is now 7 days quarantine and after 2nd negative test you are let out.

These restrictions make me feel like if I choose to leave I need to ride out the pandemic in Malta. I can afford the fee for the hotel and such but honestly mentally I don't know if I can handle all the uncertainty. But mentally I will also be leaving my support system behind if I choose to leave without a return date. That's whats kept me here is my friends family siblings etc all keep me sane.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
The security is for the benefit of the government, not the guests. It's Canada, not Afghanistan.
Of course, it isn't for the government .................

The security is to stop stupid idiots leaving quarantine and infecting those of us who have been trying to keep ourselves safe for the last year.

I certainly would not thank you for a covidiot coming from elsewhere who sneaked their way out of quarantine and into my community and infected me after I have been self isolating for all except medical appointments since last March.

There is also added security if you do get out after 3 days and go to a private residence ............... regular calls to the door by people from a private security company to ensure you are still there, plus regular phone calls from the health authority to make sure you are still there and tracking symptoms.

Remember .............. these tests are not proof that you are safe to go. Each test only shows that you are not shedding virus particles at one particular moment in time.

It is quite possible to take a test 5 minutes or less after, and test positive.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Stumpy ............. it makes no difference, if the province you are going to demands 14 day quarantine, then you will have to do another 14 days on top of the quarantine at the point of entry.

The 4 Atlantic provinces have re-installed their bubble, I believe, so you can move freely within those. But if you enter Canada at Montreal or Toronto and are ending your journey in Moncton or Halifax, then, sorry ........ another 14 days.

Remember, you could get infected between leaving the quarantine and arriving in Moncton, and they are taking NO chances.
I think you can do 3 day hotel quarantine in toronto then fly to atlantic bubble to restart 14 day quarantine - but that will risk if you are positive losing the money on the flights out east.

Or, I *think* if you are a citizen or PR and would rather spend 14 days in Mexico, you can do that then go to USA and enter Canada via land border and do your 14 day atlantic bubble quarantine....that is alot of quarantining.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

SiouxieQuote:
Originally Posted by scilly View Post
$2,000 is not a bad price if you have to pay the full cost of 24/7 security as well as room and board and extra costs to the hotel.
I also heard a commentator on the radio say that it was also supposed to be deterrent for people leaving the country is they know that they will have to pay a compulsory $2,000 and a 3 night mandatory quarantine on their return.
At least if you test positive during that 3 days, the next 11 nights will be on the government ....... but very probably NOT as luxurious as the first night.

Expensive if you have a family of 5 and are coming to settle as PR's - or start a new job under a TWP and don't have spare funds!

As I understand it from what's happened elsewhere, they will put a family in one room, as you are not allowed to leave the room and go out into the corridor, so how would parents get to children's room if they were in separate rooms?? Unless, of course, they can find 2 rooms with connecting interior doors.

Murder might be on the cards if there are 5 people in one room for even 3 nights with absolutely no outlet.

They'll have to define whether it is $2,000 per person, or $2,000 per "room".
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gozit
I think you can do 3 day hotel quarantine in toronto then fly to atlantic bubble to restart 14 day quarantine - but that will risk if you are positive losing the money on the flights out east.

Or, I *think* if you are a citizen or PR and would rather spend 14 days in Mexico, you can do that then go to USA and enter Canada via land border and do your 14 day atlantic bubble quarantine....that is alot of quarantining.
The only land border to the maritime provinces is into New Brunswick, so you would have to quarantine there before moving on to NS or Nfld.

That's assuming NB will even allow you to enter from the US at the land border ........... at one point last year, they refused point blank to allow a resident of NS to stay even overnight OR stop for food, they had to drive straight through to their place in NS.

I also understand that testing will be coming in at land borders, soon ............. some provinces are already doing it off their own bat.

As far as leaving a province after testing positive after the 3 days ....... I think the requirement says "approved" quarantine place, and the assumption is probably in the same province. They might be very reluctant to have you fly to another province, and the airline might also refuse you.

They are trying to keep the blasted virus out of Canada as much as possible.

Is it really fair to encourage people to get around the law?????

Last edited by scilly; Jan 31st 2021 at 2:57 am.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The only land border to the maritime provinces is into New Brunswick, so you would have to quarantine there before moving on to NS or Nfld.

That's assuming NB will even allow you to enter from the US at the land border ........... at one point last year, they refused point blank to allow a resident of NS to stay even overnight OR stop for food, they had to drive straight through to their place in NS.

I also understand that testing will be coming in at land borders, soon ............. some provinces are already doing it off their own bat.

As far as leaving a province after testing positive afte the 3 days ....... I think the requirement says "approved" quarantine place, and the assumption is probably in the same province. They might be very reluctant to have you fly to another province, and the airline might also refuse you.

They are trying to keep the blasted virus out of Canada as much as possible.

Is it really fair to encourage people to get around the law?????

I'm not encouraging people to get around the law.

Up until now you have been required to submit a quarantine plan to the officer at the port of entry. A resident of NS/NB/NL/PEI could enter at YYZ and their quarantine plan could validly be flying on a connecting flight to [NS/NB/NL/PEI] and proceed directly to their residence and begin quarantine. There is nothing in the news release that states that wouldn't be a valid quarantine plan post 3 day government hotel.

I think what you meant to say is "Is it fair to encourage people to get around my opinion which is that everyone should be in quarantine for forever?" which, well, your opinion is not the law so yes that is fair to answer that question.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
For those coming to settle as PRs I sort of think it may sift those coming with no job and no plan out, whilst keeping those with a job lined up/plans on investing etc still coming (something which hasn't been able to happen for some time now).

The awkward one will be your farm workers from the carribean/Mexico - although imagine they may come under some sort of exemption if things arent relaxed by then.

​​​​​
The farm workers have been coming into Canada since last April.

In BC, they have had to go into quarantine for 14 days before being taken to the farms where they work, and the farmers had to show proof of satisfactory living quarters with spatial distancing in bedrooms and living areas, plus availability of getting out to buy their food.

In some places in the Okanagan, farm workers who were used to camping in local campgrounds have either had to find proper accommodation, or some campgrounds arranged spatial distancing which meant they could only take half the normal number of campers.

I think Ontario, which is the other province with large numbers of foreign workers, had very similar regulations.

Many of these workers have been coming to the same farms every year in late March/April until October or so for many years.

Presumably a similar system will be in place this year, with any problems having been ironed out last year.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it from what's happened elsewhere, they will put a family in one room, as you are not allowed to leave the room and go out into the corridor, so how would parents get to children's room if they were in separate rooms?? Unless, of course, they can find 2 rooms with connecting interior doors.

Murder might be on the cards if there are 5 people in one room for even 3 nights with absolutely no outlet.

They'll have to define whether it is $2,000 per person, or $2,000 per "room".
The reports are specifically saying per person.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Perhaps if Canadian citizens and PRs cannot travel freely we should reconsider allowing non-Canadian farm workers into the country and exempting them from quarantine when the majority of them do not even believe COVID is real and will not physical distance or wear masks.

These people were a significant spreader in the summer time in my area.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

​​
There is also added security if you do get out after 3 days and go to a private residence ............... regular calls to the door by people from a private security company to ensure you are still there.

With any of this if its done properly its a huge plus and I'm for it - just got to hope "private security" do things properly and doesn't end up being power hungry and abusing idiots enforcing it (Kingdom security or the like in the UK for those familiar with their work partnering with councils etc).

That was my take on it - it was more around whether they (federally) would potentially allow an internal flight or road travel to another province after your 3 day + negative test. (as at that point your allowed to travel "home" to do the remainder of your quarantine) - but doing so may make you much harder to track by private security firms. And that journey becomes a lot more awkward to plan for if you don't know your start location.

Old Jan 31st 2021, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm not encouraging people to get around the law.

Up until now you have been required to submit a quarantine plan to the officer at the port of entry. A resident of NS/NB/NL/PEI could enter at YYZ and their quarantine plan could validly be flying on a connecting flight to [NS/NB/NL/PEI] and proceed directly to their residence and begin quarantine. There is nothing in the news release that states that wouldn't be a valid quarantine plan post 3 day government hotel.

I think what you meant to say is "Is it fair to encourage people to get around my opinion which is that everyone should be in quarantine for forever?" which, well, your opinion is not the law so yes that is fair to answer that question.
You might possibly see it that way, as a young person.

Although I don't want anyone to isolate for ever, it isn't fun or pleasant

......... I do want people to obey the quarantine regulations that apply to them when entering Canada or my province from elsewhere.

I'm in a high risk category, both from age and medical problems.

I also live in one of the entry point cities, and my little suburb is less than 5 miles from the airport. It is the first one that any person released from the 3 day quarantine will reach that has a grocery store. So far there have been very few if any covid cases reported in this area, very luckily.

I prefer to keep safe.

But reading some of what is being said on here ....... yes, people are looking at how to get around the law ............. like you saying go to Mexico or into the US and enter by a land border, and avoid the $2,000 3 day quarantine.

Mind you ............ coming from Mexico means either flying into Canada from an International country that Canadian airlines are no longer flying into, or driving through the US assuming you can enter at that southern border.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Perhaps if Canadian citizens and PRs cannot travel freely we should reconsider allowing non-Canadian farm workers into the country and exempting them from quarantine when the majority of them do not even believe COVID is real and will not physical distance or wear masks.

These people were a significant spreader in the summer time in my area.

The system for farm workers worked fine here.

Granted, some of them contracted covid after leaving quarantine, but very little seemed to get out into the general population.

BC really depends on these migrant workers who come back year after year to the same place.

Otherwise farmers don't get their crops sown, tended or harvested, 'cos most Canadians won't do it.

For us, it is food crops ............. no workers, no veggies or fruit.

Apple orchards are popular summer work with many Quebecers

For Ontario, it seems to be tobacco in one region, and food crops in others.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You might possibly see it that way, as a young person.

Although I don't want anyone to isolate for ever, it isn't fun or pleasant

......... I do want people to obey the quarantine regulations that apply to them when entering Canada or my province from elsewhere.

I'm in a high risk category, both from age and medical problems.

I also live in one of the entry point cities, and my little suburb is less than 5 miles from the airport. It is the first one that any person released from the 3 day quarantine will reach that has a grocery store. So far there have been very few if any covid cases reported in this area, very luckily.

I prefer to keep safe.

But reading some of what is being said on here ....... yes, people are looking at how to get around the law ............. like you saying go to Mexico or into the US and enter by a land border, and avoid the $2,000 3 day quarantine.

Mind you ............ coming from Mexico means either flying into Canada from an International country that Canadian airlines are no longer flying into, or driving through the US assuming you can enter at that southern border.
Going through Mexico isn't getting around the law, you are still following 14 day quarantine when you arrive in Canada, and a PCR test at the land border. Flying into the US, then driving across the border into Canada is not breaking any law as long as you follow quarantine, so stop saying that it is. I was suggesting it to avoid a double quarantine of 14 days in international airport arrival province then another 14 days in the atlantic bubble if that is your final destination.

if people are following the law they should not be going to a grocery store after the 3 day hotel quarantine, they should be going directly home and getting said groceries delivered.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

The farm workers have been coming into Canada since last April.

In BC, they have had to go into quarantine for 14 days before being taken to the farms where they work.

Presumably a similar system will be in place this year, with any problems having been ironed out last year.
Yea - last year quarantine had to paid for by the employer I believe.

​​​It's whether they come under exemptions etc at all to do similar to last year, or have to go into government quarantine for 3 days at $2000 a head (and who picks up the bill) then have another 11 days similar to last year.

​​​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.