Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Feb 12th 2021, 4:29 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Trudeau seems to have turned fascist.

Is the Alberta option still there beyond Feb 22nd?
According the government website, it's still ongoing. I really wouldn't hang around if you want to pursue that option though but it's really all dependent upon actually finding a direct route to Calgary. AC are temporarily suspending their LHR-YYZ route and that's normally one of the busiest routes between Europe and Canada so finding a direct flight from Europe to Calgary in the near future will no doubt be a bit tough.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
According the government website, it's still ongoing. I really wouldn't hang around if you want to pursue that option though but it's really all dependent upon actually finding a direct route to Calgary. AC are temporarily suspending their LHR-YYZ route and that's normally one of the busiest routes between Europe and Canada so finding a direct flight from Europe to Calgary in the near future will no doubt be a bit tough.
I still find it hard to believe that Trudeau wants to charge every Canadian $2000 for re-entering the country, even in cases that were clearly not holiday making related, such as returning citizens after life abroad. Initially this measure was planned for holidaymakers only, the way I understood it. Now he changed this mind and it applies for all, and who knows what's next on his mind. $4000 sounds like a plausible idea.

I'd say the way to Alberta from Europe is only via KLM through Amsterdam., - If they are flying or flying again, or haven't stopped, that it would / could work out.

However, at the moment, I'm not sure, if I actually wanted to return, under the pretext that a citizen is now persona non grata.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Feb 12th 2021 at 6:10 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

They’re suspending YYZ-LHR? I thought it was YVR-LHR? If the former that’s huge
Old Feb 12th 2021, 6:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Not according to their website https://www.aircanada.com/en-ca/flig...-gb-to-toronto

Old Feb 13th 2021, 7:49 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Sorry, you and Siouxie are right. This was my mistake. I think I just have been half asleep when I read it the other day and read YYZ instead of YVR. It's London to Vancouver and Dublin to Toronto they're suspending for now.

Sorry again if I accidentally freaked anybody out there.

Routes Affected

The following routes will no longer be in operation by Air Canada through April 30th:

Toronto to Fort Myers, Fla.
Toronto to Boston.
Toronto to Washington, D.C. (Reagan)
Toronto to Denver
Toronto to New York City (LaGuardia)
Montreal to Boston.
Montreal to LaGuardia.
Vancouver to Seattle.
Toronto to Bogotá, Colombia.
Toronto to Dubai.
Toronto to São Paulo, Brazil.
Toronto to Hong Kong.
Toronto to Tel Aviv, Israel.
Montreal to Bogotá, Colombia.
Vancouver to London, U.K.
Vancouver to Tokyo (Narita).
Toronto to Dublin, Ireland

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Feb 13th 2021 at 7:52 am.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 8:00 am
Sidecar Falcon

I'd say the way to Alberta from Europe is only via KLM through Amsterdam., - If they are flying or flying again, or haven't stopped, that it would / could work out.

However, at the moment, I'm not sure, if I actually wanted to return, under the pretext that a citizen is now persona non grata.
To be fair, the UK has a similar policy for its own citizens returning from high risk countries and Australia has arguably been treating its own citizens overseas even more poorly for almost a year now.

I think the double standard in Canada's policy will be if the same rules don't apply for land entrants and the measures are only applied to people arriving by air. If that is the case then many of the winter holiday makers the policy was supposedly designed to deter in the first place will end up dodging the consequences.

Yesterday's policy only mandates pre-arrival and on-arrival follow up testing for land entrants. Hotel quarantine only applies if you arrive by air. This is a particularly unfair approach IMHO because the majority of new immigrants to Canada either can't travel through the US due to normal visa restrictions on their nationality or America's temporary air travel restriction on foreign arrivals from Europe. That leaves them with no real choice but to cough up for the hotel quarantine fees.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Feb 13th 2021 at 8:03 am.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

I think the double standard in Canada's policy will be if the same rules don't apply for land entrants and the measures are only applied to people arriving by air. If that is the case then many of the winter holiday makers the policy was supposedly designed to deter in the first place will end up dodging the consequences.
I think would probably be easy to distinguish between a Canadian holidaymaker or a Canadian citizen returning, just by when they left Canada, or by the airline booking code? As far as I know Canada or the CBSA doesn't seem to track exits of Canadian citizens from Canada? Or at least that was the case until a couple of years ago?
Old Feb 14th 2021, 1:44 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I think would probably be easy to distinguish between a Canadian holidaymaker or a Canadian citizen returning, just by when they left Canada, or by the airline booking code? As far as I know Canada or the CBSA doesn't seem to track exits of Canadian citizens from Canada? Or at least that was the case until a couple of years ago?
It can be retrieved from flight rosters but I think that's likely mostly used to catch overstayers. PR's and citizens are always legally entitled to leave the country whenever they wish.

I'll be honest, to some degree I agree with you. As a country that continuously needs, invites and accepts new immigrants, I think the blanket implementation of this policy is unfair but I also think you're over thinking this a little.

If you're anything like me then there will be a lot of stress and pressure in moving back. I can honestly say the 10 or so days before I moved here earlier this week were some of the most difficult and stressful in my life. I nearly cracked under the pressure several times.

I'm now on day 5 of quarantine and have a little over a week left. I have to continue working my notice in my old job remotely from 5am tomorrow so the last few days have been like a mini vacation. I've eaten better over the last few days than I have in weeks, my health has been returning to normal and whilst I've done some admin and house hunting in the laptop every day I've also found time to relax and play on the PlayStation with my mates back in the UK.

If it wasn't for quarantine then I would have gone through the airport and then hit the pavement next day to get the ball rolling on all the normal beuracracy involved in moving to a new country and no doubt my health and stress levels would be worse for it. In a sense I've been forced to slow down and take a breather. There are times that it has been a bit of a nuisance as I need to complete registration with my bank in person and the owner of one condo I was interested in doesn't want to do any virtual viewings but it can't be helped really.

Furthermore, the condo I'm staying in has a large balcony but I've barely been on it because it's -11 outside right now and in Calgary the weather is twice as bad so I don't know why you'd be in a rush to hit the streets in a city that's well below freezing cold and when you possibly have no intention on building long term roots there.

Obviously everyone is different. You might not be able to afford the kind of luxury that I'm enjoying right now. I've been very blessed in that regard and if I'd been forced to spend these two weeks in a basement then no doubt my feelings and mood would be very different but I guess my point is that getting yourself worked up over this situation isn't going to help you.

At this point I think you probably have two options. Either wait out the entire situation in Europe or return and make the best of whatever faces you. If the Calgary route is open to you and you want to do that then great but keep in mind that other provinces can extend quarantine restrictions to domestic arrivals as well as international ones, such is the uncertainty of these times.

Please keep in mind that I'm not saying these things to gloat or take the piss. I genuinely feel for you. I was in a very bad place mentally and emotionally myself last year and wasted a lot of time and energy on anger so I'm sharing these thoughts because I think it's the right thing to do. Good luck with whatever you decide upon honestly.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

The problem is that everyone's situation is very different personally as well as professionally. I just can't hop on a plane from one day to the next, just because there is a deadline on Feb 22nd. If it was March 22nd, it would be easier and more planable for me.

I also had the thoughts, -20 in Calgary and able to roam around "freely" in arctic air, or quarantine in Toronto at -10 and the occasional visit from somebody. There isn't much to do anyway, places closed, so the options on outdoors are limited anyway. However Feb 22nd is way too early for me.

$2000 would be too much for my budget, if it's only for 3 days.

Maybe the Alberta option is kept alive for longer? Maybe there will be exemptions on professional grounds or for clearly returning citizens, or for travel out of medical reason? Remember that link I've posted? Maybe the ruling will be legally overturned? ( However I sadly think that won't happen...)

I'd say the worst I have to plan for is another fully lost year, in 2021.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 2:18 pm
Sidecar Falcon

The problem is that everyone's situation is very different personally as well as professionally. I just can't hop on a plane from one day to the next, just because there is a deadline on Feb 22nd. If it was March 22nd, it would be easier and more planable for me.

I also had the thoughts, -20 in Calgary and able to roam around "freely" in arctic air, or quarantine in Toronto at -10 and the occasional visit from somebody. There isn't much to do anyway, places closed, so the options on outdoors are limited anyway. However Feb 22nd is way too early for me.

Maybe the Alberta option is kept alive for longer? Maybe there will be exemptions on professional grounds or for clearly returning citizens, or for travel out of medical reason? Remember that link I've posted? Maybe the ruling will be legally overturned? ( However I sadly think that won't happen...)

Yeah I know what you mean. I booked a one way flight here at less than a week's notice. I didn't even get a chance to see my young nephews before I left.

I doubt they will overturn anything in the short term though. I think the best anyone can hope for will be a court result that allows people who were charged the hotel quarantine fee to claim a refund but that could take years.

If your family and future are in Ontario then I see no real point in going through Calgary tbh. As you say, things are closed there and it's bloody freezing so whilst you might be able to get your freedom to roam back a little earlier, what are you really going to do with it? Plus you would then have to pay for a flight back to Ontario again and it's usually more expensive to get from Europe to AB in the first place.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 4:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you should have returned when you had the opportunity last year - when you first started complaining about the 14 day self quarantine.

Old Feb 14th 2021, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Perhaps you should have returned when you had the opportunity last year - when you first started complaining about the 14 day self quarantine.
I thought it would get better, and more reasonable, like in Alberta.

And also perhaps your suggestions are a bit out of place, I'd say.

If I had the option I would have done it, believe me.

Old Feb 14th 2021, 5:40 pm
Banned

I thought it would get better, and more reasonable, like in Alberta.

And also perhaps your suggestions are a bit out of place, I'd say.

If I had the option I would have done it, believe me.
Apologies.. I had presumed from your posts that you were choosing not to return, as you didn't want to have to do the 14 days self isolation, if that wasn't the case then my suggestion/comment was out of place and uncalled for....

Sorry
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 4:34 pm
Banned

New information about the mandatory hotel stay>
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...s-booking.html
What you can or can't do during the stay :
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...otel-stay.html
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
New information about the mandatory hotel stay>
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...s-booking.html
What you can or can't do during the stay :
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...otel-stay.html
First time I've seen variable costs mentioned, from the link: "Costs of these hotel stopovers may vary by location" I had understood it was a fixed price of $2000 for up to 14 days. Seems not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.