Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jan 27th 2021, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by bats
So you'll travel to Malta and then visit a sick person putting them at risk?

Did you miss the part about others having problems too?

​​​​​
Not that i'm required to justify my actions to the internet but you are correct there is that consideration. I'm considering staying in an apartment and not in the family home for the first 2-4 weeks, as well as getting PCR test before leaving Canada as well as on arrival at the airport in Malta. And that's even if I end up going down. We received some good news today that the lung infection has not spread.

My main concern (and have contacted my MP office) is the Cdn. government restricting the ability to leave the country.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 4:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the current low infection rate for travellers is precisely because of the restrictions currently in place.
Only testing on departure and on arrival with no restictions wouldn't be of much use when there's up to 14 days from infection to a positive test..

Let's not go down any political roads on this thread again, thanks.
We have a thread for political comments and concerns regarding Covid - you can find it here: Off Topic Posts from Covid Quarantine Thread

Any further political posts will be moved.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 27th 2021 at 4:51 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Perhaps the current low infection rate for travellers is precisely because of the restrictions currently in place.
Only testing on departure and on arrival with no restictions wouldn't be of much use when there's up to 14 days from infection to a positive test..

We have a thread for political comments and concerns regarding Covid - you can find it here: Off Topic Posts from Covid Quarantine Thread

Agreed. The new variants definitely proved quarantine is necessary albeit still extremely inconvenient.

The thread is about quarantine requirements though so i'm not sure why these posts are being considered offtopic?
Old Jan 27th 2021, 5:08 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Not that i'm required to justify my actions to the internet but you are correct there is that consideration. I'm considering staying in an apartment and not in the family home for the first 2-4 weeks, as well as getting PCR test before leaving Canada as well as on arrival at the airport in Malta. And that's even if I end up going down. We received some good news today that the lung infection has not spread.

My main concern (and have contacted my MP office) is the Cdn. government restricting the ability to leave the country.
No you're not required to but as you raised the subject then my commenting is reasonable.
As you were so keen to dash over and " get there in time" I hadn't considered you would spend the required tine in quarantine which seems contradictory to the urgency.
Presumably you've considered that you might be in Malta and be needed back here quickly and them be stuck with quarantine here?
it's good news your grandfather's infection hadn't spread, presumably they have ruled out COVID?
Old Jan 27th 2021, 5:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No you're not required to but as you raised the subject then my commenting is reasonable.
As you were so keen to dash over and " get there in time" I hadn't considered you would spend the required tine in quarantine which seems contradictory to the urgency.
Presumably you've considered that you might be in Malta and be needed back here quickly and them be stuck with quarantine here?
it's good news your grandfather's infection hadn't spread, presumably they have ruled out COVID?
It had crossed my mind too that if there was a family (parents/siblings) emergency here, he could be stuck in Malta.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

I don't think that everything is generally political, in terms of the party and their platforms. But why is it wrong to examine the matter from a political perspective?

At first I thought about politics as well, but in the end, both Alberta and Ontario have a PC premier.

Alberta offers a flexible entry option with only a 48 hour quarantine and lot's of testing, Ontario, same political party in office, clearly doesn't. Ford seems strongly against it.

So it could be down to the premier's preferences, or also possibly tailored to the provinces needs? I'd imagine, Alberta's oil industry and their economy is more connected to the US than anything else in Canada.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jan 27th 2021 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It had crossed my mind too that if there was a family (parents/siblings) emergency here, he could be stuck in Malta.
Thank you...it was definitely a relief to hear the news this morning. Yes covid was ruled out before he was admitted to hospital thankfully. It would have been almost impossible for him to get it as they've been being very careful not leaving the house for very much.

Malta doesn't have a mandatory quarantine for arrivals from Canada, but do require a negative PCR test before arrival with the option to take a second rapid test on arrival at the airport, which I would take advantage of in addition to staying at the apartment rather then in the house...any contact for the first 2 weeks would likely be from a distance with masks. There is an urgency but throughout this thread i've never advocated for breaking the law regarding quarantine.

I spoke to the MP office and they put me at ease, I think my "mad dash" to get over was in relation to potentially being restricted from leaving Canada, they seem to think that is unlikely and the focus will likely be on further restrictions on arrivals into Canada. Which, to contain the variants is justifiable.

I recognize I might be stuck outside the country longer then I intend. I guess I will just have to heed that warning and cross that bridge when I come to it.

With the good news received today in addition to speaking to my MP office I think I am going to hold off for a few weeks, allow him to get home from the hospital and begin treatment and then I will go spend a few weeks with him. Taking it day by day at the moment.

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I don't think that everything is generally political, in terms of the party and their platforms. But why is it wrong to examine the matter from a political perspective?

At first I thought about politics as well, but in the end, both Alberta and Ontario have a PC premier.

Alberta offers a flexible entry option with only a 48 hour quarantine and lot's of testing, Ontario, same political party in office, clearly doesn't. Ford seems strongly against it.

So it could be down to the premier's preferences, or also possibly tailored to the provinces needs? I'd imagine, Alberta's oil industry and their economy is more connected to the US than anything else in Canada.
I think it is also tailored to public opinion. Most people you talk to in Ontario support covid shutdowns and quarantine measures. Alberta is the province where people are seen protesting and blatantly violating most of the restrictions, even with businesses opening in protest. So public appetite for reduced quarantine in Alberta is very high, whereas in Ontario I don't think that is much the same.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I think it is also tailored to public opinion. Most people you talk to in Ontario support covid shutdowns and quarantine measures. Alberta is the province where people are seen protesting and blatantly violating most of the restrictions, even with businesses opening in protest. So public appetite for reduced quarantine in Alberta is very high, whereas in Ontario I don't think that is much the same.
If it's a question of public opinion than the decision is sadly political, not scientific and certainly not practical.

The issue is that in Ontario they still give you quite some time to get to your home, and begin the 14 day quarantine. Let's assume that one has Covid 19 and doesn't know it, but arrives in Toronto airport. Testing up until now was optional. One fills out whatever forms they have to, and agree to quarantine in a place like Sudbury or Timmins or North Bay, where there is quite a bit of driving to get to there... On the way, the car breaks down, one can't continue, or one is caught in an accident, no matter who's fault..... There are lot's of leaks here and many more options to infect others and one doesn't even know it, even in cases if one indeed intended to follow the quarantine rules.

In Alberta however the testing would be obligatory, the 48 hour stay is most likely in an airport hotel, mandated by the government, and after a negative result one can leave, and the follow up test after that, is also booked in and could then be in Edmonton, or wherever els in Alberta. Thus it's in my mind more structured and possibly also cheaper. 48 hours in a hotel isn't that expensive. I take it and after 48 hours the government wouldn't have to send men in dark coats and dark hats knocking on people's door to find out if they are really at home......

Old Jan 28th 2021, 3:39 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
If it's a question of public opinion than the decision is sadly political, not scientific and certainly not practical.

The issue is that in Ontario they still give you quite some time to get to your home, and begin the 14 day quarantine. Let's assume that one has Covid 19 and doesn't know it, but arrives in Toronto airport. Testing up until now was optional. One fills out whatever forms they have to, and agree to quarantine in a place like Sudbury or Timmins or North Bay, where there is quite a bit of driving to get to there... On the way, the car breaks down, one can't continue, or one is caught in an accident, no matter who's fault..... There are lot's of leaks here and many more options to infect others and one doesn't even know it, even in cases if one indeed intended to follow the quarantine rules.

In Alberta however the testing would be obligatory, the 48 hour stay is most likely in an airport hotel, mandated by the government, and after a negative result one can leave, and the follow up test after that, is also booked in and could then be in Edmonton, or wherever els in Alberta. Thus it's in my mind more structured and possibly also cheaper. 48 hours in a hotel isn't that expensive. I take it and after 48 hours the government wouldn't have to send men in dark coats and dark hats knocking on people's door to find out if they are really at home......
It sounds like Doug Ford wants mandatory testing for everyone who arrives at Pearson which I have no problem with personally, not that my opinion would count for much though. Right now the testing at Pearson is completely optional which I've never entirely understood.

From what I understand, home visits to ensure quarantine compliance are very rare in Canada. They really only happen when someone comes from a high risk country and then fails to answer calls and complete daily check-in which is a really stupid thing for anyone to do anyway.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
It sounds like Doug Ford wants mandatory testing for everyone who arrives at Pearson which I have no problem with personally, not that my opinion would count for much though. Right now the testing at Pearson is completely optional which I've never entirely understood.

From what I understand, home visits to ensure quarantine compliance are very rare in Canada. They really only happen when someone comes from a high risk country and then fails to answer calls and complete daily check-in which is a really stupid thing for anyone to do anyway.
I don't get the idea of a test before boarding and then another on arrival, really whats going to change in 7 hrs?
Old Jan 28th 2021, 4:13 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
I don't get the idea of a test before boarding and then another on arrival, really whats going to change in 7 hrs?
Well it's 72 hours isn't it so it's technically up to 3 days. He is only asking for it though, the government haven't mandated it yet. From his perspective I can understand as well since most international arrivals go through his province, even if it's just en-route for a flight to somewhere else.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Well it's 72 hours isn't it so it's technically up to 3 days. He is only asking for it though, the government haven't mandated it yet. From his perspective I can understand as well since most international arrivals go through his province, even if it's just en-route for a flight to somewhere else.
With a bit of joined up thinking (and yes I know they are politicians!) they could mandate a test say 5 days prior to boarding with another test on arrival. Quarantine would only be necessary while the arrival test was processed. This would catch 99% of covid arriving by air which is small amount anyway at the moment.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

With a bit of joined up thinking (and yes I know they are politicians!) they could mandate a test say 5 days prior to boarding with another test on arrival. Quarantine would only be necessary while the arrival test was processed. This would catch 99% of covid arriving by air which is small amount anyway at the moment.
This would be more reasonable and also more effective than the current legislation.

Sadly, Dr. Tam wouldn't approve and from Ford it's most likely also a clear NO even before you'd start the suggestion......
Old Jan 29th 2021, 6:56 am
Sidecar Falcon

That's actually not too dissimilar from how some Asian countries manage it.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

The thing is, if they make you pay for a government mandated hotel room for 14 days, this regulation will probably be in effect for the remainder of the year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.