Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Plumbers crack

The Plumbers crack

Old May 2nd 2010, 6:02 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Plumbers crack

Originally Posted by kate 17
Alex, first of all if people didn't come to Canada for the money then I have a bit of contempt for them.....I can't help it I just do.
I can't speak for Alex, but I have a great deal of contempt for people who value everything by money.

yes BC is beautiful, but another culture and nature formed it. I can admire it, but never in a million years would I feel part of it.
Don't worry. We'll manage just fine without you.
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:09 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Alex, first of all if people didn't come to Canada for the money then I have a bit of contempt for them.....I can't help it I just do. England is beautiful, it's in my heart it's in my soul and why people would leave when they were well off defeats me. England is what you focus on, if you look for the bad then that is all you will see......I see a rich heritage that I'm damned proud of. yes BC is beautiful, but another culture and nature formed it. I can admire it, but never in a million years would I feel part of it.
You have contempt for people who do things for reasons other than money? Many people do come to Canada for other reasons - most are probably trading time and space for money.

Stats Can says that a highly significant number of university educated people don't stay in Canada. STATS CAN SAID IT!!!!!!!!!

I am just suggesting that culture is a big reason for that, but you and others would prefer to think it's because a lack of opportunities and because I don't agree with that, I'm getting all this bloody flak......It's craziness!
So? You have no evidence for your position that it's lack of museums driving people away.

(and you aren't getting that much flak relative to what you are dishing out)

University educated people, lets say they are regarded as intelligent as a group, well one of the measurements used for intelligence is flexibility so therefore, all the suggestions that you made as to why they don't stay are not really as valid as you think they are, because flexibility equals adaptability.
I stopped regarding a UK university degree as a guarantee of intelligence in the mid 90's. a levels became meaningless in about 1992 so it kind of follows.
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Have to get back later..........I'm too busy
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:43 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, Novocastrated stop reading my posts if you are getting so frustrated.Why would someone torture themselves reading something they don't like. maybe you should be brushing up on the boson particle instead and understanding how it's related to string theory.

I don't know where to start.....

Alex, first of all if people didn't come to Canada for the money then I have a bit of contempt for them.....I can't help it I just do. England is beautiful, it's in my heart it's in my soul and why people would leave when they were well off defeats me. England is what you focus on, if you look for the bad then that is all you will see......I see a rich heritage that I'm damned proud of. yes BC is beautiful, but another culture and nature formed it. I can admire it, but never in a million years would I feel part of it.

el richo

So many points, well the reasons I gave were those that apply to me In other words, I miss the culture. Do you not think it's highly likely that other people miss the things that I miss?????????????????? And there again if people don't miss the culture, the old contempt that I cannot help feeling comes to the fore.

Stats Can says that a highly significant number of university educated people don't stay in Canada. STATS CAN SAID IT!!!!!!!!!

I am just suggesting that culture is a big reason for that, but you and others would prefer to think it's because a lack of opportunities and because I don't agree with that, I'm getting all this bloody flak......It's craziness!

If you looked further into the stats trades people are much more likely to stay here and presumably they have the same challenges as the university educated so therefore, can we not say with the educated, it's the lack of culture that matters.

I have absolutely nothing against trades people. I don't think that they are inferior in anyway....many coming from Britain did not get the chance to go to Uni where they would have done brilliant, I know because I have met Brits like that. Still, a lot of trades people do not have aesthetic interests and therefore this culture in Canada would be easier for them to assimilate into
with the sport and outdoor opportunities on and on. yadda, yadda, yadda.

University educated people, lets say they are regarded as intelligent as a group, well one of the measurements used for intelligence is flexibility so therefore, all the suggestions that you made as to why they don't stay are not really as valid as you think they are, because flexibility equals adaptability.
my god are you for real? What about people who came because they wished to be with a loved one, or allow a loved one to be closer to family, or hell, because the like it. In your world unless money is a reason, then they are somehow lacking.

If im reading this right, you are suggesting that those who are not uni educated will fit in as they will assimilate to outdoor pursuits and are not inclined towards the arts...I have a degree and don't give a toss about the arts.

You remind me of all that i despised about the UK when I lived there. Those types who looked down at everyone as though they were somehow better. I've got news for you mrs....
Old May 2nd 2010, 7:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Alex, first of all if people didn't come to Canada for the money then I have a bit of contempt for them.....I can't help it I just do. England is beautiful, it's in my heart it's in my soul and why people would leave when they were well off defeats me.....BC is beautiful, but another culture and nature formed it. I can admire it, but never in a million years would I feel part of it.

...And there again if people don't miss the culture, the old contempt that I cannot help feeling comes to the fore.
So the bottom line is that you and your husband were financial failures in the UK and in order to improve your financial standing you moved to a country that offered you no intellectual stimulation, even though your heart and soul belongs in England?

And secondly, you have contempt for anybody who doesn't enjoy the same things in life as yourself?

Brilliant

FYI, i'm not drawn to Canada for the money and will actually be walking away from a six figure income. You must have uber contempt for me i imagine.
Old May 2nd 2010, 7:44 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

You don't seem particularly flexible. Do you know Darwin's work?
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

I have about 30 minutes before dinner is ready rice, salad eggs and bread rolls balkava for desert for those interested hahahaha

This is for Alan and Jon, to try and answer about being concerned with money and when I get to el richo it will go further,

I consider it treachery in a way to give up your birth country without very good reasons. dboy, family issues don't count, that's adding another complication that isn't really part of this discussion.

Our British ancestors died in two world wars for Britain. Times were tough,what if they had run away instead?

Money, when one has a family is very important in order for survival so coming to Canada to ensure financial security is a good reason,but leaving the Uk for less than that is not, because of our ancestry and you should love the land that you were born in. That's my opinion!!!!!!!

d boy, Can stat's, say the non uni educated assimilate better. So what is your take on that?

el richo....We were not financial failures far from it. I lived like Mrs Thomas Hardy in rural bliss, but my husband was head hunted and the salary offered because we had two babies was hard to ignore.

From the day we got to Edmonton I hated it, but through a very long story we are still here.....but not for long and I can't wait to be mrs Thomas Hardy again.

I only have contempt for some things that people enjoy that I don't, hunting,
shooting ducks, boxing, dog fighting.....hell it's a long list.

I'm worried now that you're still in England and that I might be putting you off. I don't have contempt for you yet.....You might be living in Moss side for all I know and Canada would be a dream come true. However I would say move to Wiltshire first.

Lord Vader, I'm really not a fan of Darwins theories,but that is another debate.

How can I help loving the arts! I went to the library for Jung's "red book" the other day and the librarian looked at me as if I had 2 heads when I asked if they had it...."How do you spell that" it's been the most talked about book for months!!!!!!!

dinner is calling!
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I have about 30 minutes before dinner is ready rice, salad eggs and bread rolls balkava for desert for those interested hahahaha

This is for Alan and Jon, to try and answer about being concerned with money and when I get to el richo it will go further,

I consider it treachery in a way to give up your birth country without very good reasons. dboy, family issues don't count, that's adding another complication that isn't really part of this discussion.

Our British ancestors died in two world wars for Britain. Times were tough,what if they had run away instead?

Money, when one has a family is very important in order for survival so coming to Canada to ensure financial security is a good reason,but leaving the Uk for less than that is not, because of our ancestry and you should love the land that you were born in. That's my opinion!!!!!!!

d boy, Can stat's, say the non uni educated assimilate better. So what is your take on that?

el richo....We were not financial failures far from it. I lived like Mrs Thomas Hardy in rural bliss, but my husband was head hunted and the salary offered because we had two babies was hard to ignore.

From the day we got to Edmonton I hated it, but through a very long story we are still here.....but not for long and I can't wait to be mrs Thomas Hardy again.

I'm worried now that you're still in England and that I might be putting you off. I don't have contempt for you yet.....You might be living in Moss side for all I know and Canada would be a dream come true. However I would say move to Wiltshire first.

Lord Vader, I'm really not a fan of Darwins theories,but that is another debate.

How can I help loving the arts! I went to the library for Jung's "red book" the other day and the librarian looked at me as if I had 2 heads when I asked if they had it...."How do you spell that" it's been the most talked about book for months!!!!!!!

dinner is calling!
Are you a holder of University degree? If so, when did you obtain it? The arguments you put forward, your spelling and your grammar (as evidenced by your posts on this thread) would be embarrasing for a GCSE student, let alone an A level or University student.

Now, I appreciate that standards may have slipped in England, but I didn't realise they had slipped to such a degree. When I was at University, one was expected to be able to formulate an argument and to use empirical evidence when necessary.
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:17 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

dinner is calling!
I would have guessed for sure you would have been having cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off and lashings of ginger ale.

sad, very sad. You represent all I resented about the UK. Snobbery and superiority.

I've yet to see anything you have posted that resembles anything the even remotely approached a logical argument. Your little 'righty oh boys' routine is dull and your use of smiley faces tedious.

Yes we fought in the wars, so did Canada, and many others for that matter. Canada stepped up and fought along side Brits. As for why the uneducated stay, probably because they are better off here and can afford a bigger house and better prospects for children.

And my point about families is relevant as you suggest that you have contempt for those that leave to forsake their heritage and only see money as a reason. the reasons that people choose not to stay are as varied as the reasons they come in the first in place, but i suspect how well off one is a biggie and I'm sure it overrides wanting to hob knob on the village green with the vicar.

Last edited by dboy; May 2nd 2010 at 10:21 pm.
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

katie, did your incredible education allow you to distinguish between a knife and a castle? Or is etymology unfashionable in rural Wiltshire these days?
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:47 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I consider it treachery in a way to give up your birth country without very good reasons.
Treachery? wtf? Who, exactly is being betrayed?

Explain what we are running away from again. I've travelled around cos I want to enjoy life, there really are no other considerations.

but leaving the Uk for less than that is not, because of our ancestry and you should love the land that you were born in. That's my opinion!!!!!!!
Why should you love a piece of land? It's just dirt and rocks with arbitrary imaginary lines drawn on it.

I don't have contempt for people that do some of those things, but neither do I understand the attraction of doing them. I agree that a subset of your list is contemptible (e.g. dog fighting)

It is another debate. Darwins theories don't need fans or believers - they have this thing scientists call empirical evidence and observation to back them up. It's actually amazing that his theories on speciation and natural selection still stand 150 years later.

Jung again!?- you are obsessed woman.
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

This is for you Almost Canadian.

"The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."—Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

I apologise, to the grammar police for my stinking spelling and punctuation. I never proof read. I have so little time, that's what your stuck with.

dboy

You have dismally failed to answer the question. people with Uni degrees also have bigger houses etc, etc.

Novocaine..........Are you trying to be clever? I'm taking those 100 points off your score because you are nasty.

Alan, I'll reply to you separately....how argumentative you are.
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:29 pm

Alan, I'll reply to you separately....how argumentative you are.
That's just the first of my many personality flaws.
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:30 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Aaah. So you're one of those people.

So your emphatic passion for your heritage and ancestry is overridden by your greed? How contemptible.

So you were financial failures then, who couldn't adequately support a family. Your husband should have been a plumber. I hear they make a decent living when compared to a Jungian Psychology educated person.

Nope, not put off at all but thanks for your consideration. Much appreciated. I don't live in Moss Side nor do i want to live in Wiltshire. There are some lovely rural areas for sure, and some dog rough ones too (calne for example). One quick question. Why would a family living a, for example, poverty stricken life in Moss Side be any better off in a poverty stricken life in Canada?

I have about 30 minutes before dinner is ready

dinner is calling!
It took you 30 minutes to write that?

Last edited by el_richo; May 2nd 2010 at 11:35 pm.
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Alan2005;8537756]Treachery? wtf? Who, exactly is being betrayed?

Your heritage and culture you have given yourself to another one.

Explain what we are running away from again. I've travelled around cos I want to enjoy life, there really are no other considerations.

Yes, but you are settled in Canada are you not? Canada is getting the benefit of your life,your experience. Maybe if you go back one day it's ok. Are you going back one day?

Why should you love a piece of land? It's just dirt and rocks with arbitrary imaginary lines drawn on it.

No it's much more than that. Britain is a magical land. It's full of legends and ley lines and then there are the crop circles. I went in one two years ago. It was an incredible experience. It's not just dirt and rocks by a long chalk

I don't have contempt for people that do some of those things, but neither do I understand the attraction of doing them. I agree that a subset of your list is contemptible (e.g. dog fighting)

I probably have stronger expressed feelings than you do. remember I'm a vegetarian with a strong love for all Gods gentle creatures

It is another debate. Darwins theories don't need fans or believers - they have this thing scientists call empirical evidence and observation to back them up. It's actually amazing that his theories on speciation and natural selection still stand 150 years later.

No, I absolutely don't agree,but if I start on that it will be a massive subject that I don't really have time for. On other boards, I have had debates lasting for months that have been full time jobs with the research and so on and in the end I'm usually the winner

Jung again!?- you are obsessed woman.[/QUOTE]

Yes I love him sooooooooooo much. A genius par excellence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.