Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Plumbers crack

The Plumbers crack

Old May 1st 2010, 11:36 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Plumbers crack

Originally Posted by kate 17
.....30 points!
Hmm, another thread turned into ego massaging - you really are an insecure person aren't you.
Old May 1st 2010, 11:43 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ask away. I can do the math too. But I think I must have missed the Radio 4 show.

I agree that the Independent and the Grauniad have some excellent stuff. Luckily it's all available on the interwebby, as is the NY Times, Die Welt and Le Canard Enchainee. What's your point?
I used to be able to do the maths for quantum mechanics, but it's only a vague memory now. Use it or lose it they say, and I don't think I've used anything from my first degree in real life in well over a decade.
Old May 1st 2010, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Hmm, another thread turned into ego massaging - you really are an insecure person aren't you.
I'm not ego massaging.

I started a thread about why university educated people are less likely to like Canada and not one person has given me a decent argument!

That graduates might end up delivering pizza is a bit weak or that they don't get the jobs or salaries that they are expecting is also weak.

I ended up answering my own post with the most valid answer!!!!!!!!!!

You're at minus 1000 points boyo!
Old May 1st 2010, 11:53 pm

No you didn't. You speculated, but you have zero evidence to back this up. Stats can don't have the answer either because they haven't done the qualitative or quantitative research to find out.

We know as fact that immigrants earn less here. We know as fact that if you are in a regulated profession you take a big step back in status and remuneration coming here. These are facts and present a stronger case than 'there are no museums' when most people don't go to them except when they are on holiday or something.
Old May 1st 2010, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

No you didn't. You speculated, but you have zero evidence to back this up. Stats can don't have the answer either because they haven't done the qualitative or quantitative research to find out.

We know as fact that immigrants earn less here. We know as fact that if you are in a regulated profession you take a big step back in status and remuneration coming here. These are facts and present a stronger case than 'there are no museums' when most people don't go to them except when they are on holiday or something.
Both mine and my husbands profession are paid more in Canada and our status is no different, so that blows that argument well out the water.
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:09 am

Both mine and my husbands profession are paid more in Canada and our status is no different, so that blows that argument well out the water.
Er no it doesn't. You are guilty of extrapolating your personal experience into the general case. I know for a fact that immigrants earn less because stats can says so.
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Er no it doesn't. You are guilty of extrapolating your personal experience into the general case. I know for a fact that immigrants earn less because stats can says so.
When I came to Canada a whole bunch of other Brits came as well, recruited in the UK for very fat salaries compared to what we had been earning.

I can't see any European moving here for a smaller salary and if they do they are mad because it's not cheap here.

Last edited by kate 17; May 2nd 2010 at 12:16 am. Reason: format
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:21 am

When I came to Canada a whole bunch of other Brits came as well, recruited in the UK for very fat salaries compared to what we had been earning.

I can't see any European moving here for a smaller salary and if they do they are mad because it's not cheap here.
again - I hate to bring in these things called 'facts' but many people do come here and get a drop in income; they have various motives for doing this.
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

again - I hate to bring in these things called 'facts' but many people do come here and get a drop in income; they have various motives for doing this.
Name the motives since your such an expert...I know quite a few Brits and the overriding reason has been money.

What did you come here for? money i'll bet. Of course now, you will say oh it was for the wide open spaces and sense of freedom.....Or it might have been for the beaver
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:31 am

Name the motives since your such an expert...I know quite a few Brits and the overriding reason has been money.

What did you come here for? money i'll bet. Of course now, you will say oh it was for the wide open spaces and sense of freedom.....Or it might have been for the beaver
I wouldn't like to guess the motives. I'm not them so how the hell would I know why they came?

(I came here cos I like it. I earn the same as I did in the UK cos I do the same job for the same employer)
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Look, Alan (and others) have been bending over backwards to give you a chance at participating on this forum without coming across as a tedious troll.

You've blown it every time.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

You really haven't got a clue, have you? FWIW, my husband and I have around 30% less net income than we did in the UK (and that's comparing our income now, to 5 years ago immediately before we moved!) and we are both degree qualified electronics/software engineers.

We have an exactly equivalent mortgage, and happily (most of the time ) share a single family car, despite living 15mins drive from the nearest village.

We certainly didn't move for "the money" and - shock, horror - we're extremely happy here in Canada. I dread the day that circumstances might mean we have to move back to the UK...

But of course, people like us don't exist - I must be lying!

Last edited by AlexInBC; May 2nd 2010 at 5:26 am. Reason: Spelling - I'm an engineer, so shoot me! LOL!
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:27 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not ego massaging.

I started a thread about why university educated people are less likely to like Canada and not one person has given me a decent argument!

That graduates might end up delivering pizza is a bit weak or that they don't get the jobs or salaries that they are expecting is also weak.

You're at minus 1000 points boyo!
Your answer suggesting educated people do not like Canada because of the lack of Radio4, The Independent, and distance from their heritage is brilliant. Brilliant in the way that it shows how closeted in your thinking you actually are.

You remind me of my friends 13 year old daughter. She tries so hard to join the adult conversations, occasionally has a flash of potential, but more often than not she fails to surpass her actually ability.

I'm university educated, do not listen to R4, do not read the newspapers, nor am i overly interested in my "heritage". Am I a minority? I know for a fact that many of my friends and acquaintances of wide ranging backgrounds, many of them uni educated, are the same. So, by your way of thinking, because we adhere to this you are incorrect in your assumptions.

What you fail to take into account are the simple things such as life pre Canada. This is hugely variable and subjective and uni education doesn't even come into it. That said, I don't know the figures but, what is the % emigrants who are and are not uni educated? In fact, in the UK, what % of students do and do not head to uni after school?

Finally, you still haven't provided information as to why you believe non university educated people are inferior to those who are (as you implied).

I still believe a huge factor, as has already been suggested, is the money, opportunities, failure to set realistic expectations, and the realisation that distance from support networks is harder than they imagined. This is across the board.

In fact, you should set up a poll on here

Last edited by el_richo; May 2nd 2010 at 9:03 am.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hey, Novocastrated stop reading my posts if you are getting so frustrated.Why would someone torture themselves reading something they don't like. maybe you should be brushing up on the boson particle instead and understanding how it's related to string theory.

I don't know where to start.....

Alex, first of all if people didn't come to Canada for the money then I have a bit of contempt for them.....I can't help it I just do. England is beautiful, it's in my heart it's in my soul and why people would leave when they were well off defeats me. England is what you focus on, if you look for the bad then that is all you will see......I see a rich heritage that I'm damned proud of. yes BC is beautiful, but another culture and nature formed it. I can admire it, but never in a million years would I feel part of it.

el richo

So many points, well the reasons I gave were those that apply to me In other words, I miss the culture. Do you not think it's highly likely that other people miss the things that I miss?????????????????? And there again if people don't miss the culture, the old contempt that I cannot help feeling comes to the fore.

Stats Can says that a highly significant number of university educated people don't stay in Canada. STATS CAN SAID IT!!!!!!!!!

I am just suggesting that culture is a big reason for that, but you and others would prefer to think it's because a lack of opportunities and because I don't agree with that, I'm getting all this bloody flak......It's craziness!

If you looked further into the stats trades people are much more likely to stay here and presumably they have the same challenges as the university educated so therefore, can we not say with the educated, it's the lack of culture that matters.

I have absolutely nothing against trades people. I don't think that they are inferior in anyway....many coming from Britain did not get the chance to go to Uni where they would have done brilliant, I know because I have met Brits like that. Still, a lot of trades people do not have aesthetic interests and therefore this culture in Canada would be easier for them to assimilate into
with the sport and outdoor opportunities on and on. yadda, yadda, yadda.

University educated people, lets say they are regarded as intelligent as a group, well one of the measurements used for intelligence is flexibility so therefore, all the suggestions that you made as to why they don't stay are not really as valid as you think they are, because flexibility equals adaptability.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:57 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

I did the LSD when I was young maybe that's what's wrong with me it scrambled my brain more than I know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.