Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Plumbers crack

The Plumbers crack

Old May 3rd 2010, 2:15 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Plumbers crack

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I think we may very possibly be the same person. Or long lost twins.

I graduated from a Poly (remember them?) in 1990. I will graduate all over again next year all being well from a provincial Canadian university with a Masters.
How could one not? ISTR a conversation with 4Bells on this subject - she was at the soon-to-become-Oxford-Brookes at roughly the same time I was messing about in boats in the other place at the bottom of Headington Hill. To save her blushes I won't mention how long ago that was, but you and I are doubtless more or less of an age.
Old May 3rd 2010, 2:18 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
How could one not? ISTR a conversation with 4Bells on this subject - she was at the soon-to-become-Oxford-Brookes at roughly the same time I was messing about in boats in the other place at the bottom of Headington Hill. To save her blushes I won't mention how long ago that was, but you and I are doubtless more or less of an age.
Ah there we differ. You, sir, appear to a genuine 'Yah' whereas I just sound like one but am a comprehensive / Polytechnic boy at heart. <tug's forlock, "beggin' yer pardon guv'nor">
Old May 3rd 2010, 2:34 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Ah there we differ. You, sir, appear to a genuine 'Yah' whereas I just sound like one but am a comprehensive / Polytechnic boy at heart. <tug's forlock, "beggin' yer pardon guv'nor">
<doffs straw boater and nods acknowledgement in the general direction of the peasantry>
Old May 3rd 2010, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, you youngster, you. I had you pegged for an early 90s graduation, at latest

On edit: or were you a mature student, doing the legal stuff post-Forces?
Yes. I was an old fart when I started my legal career.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; May 3rd 2010 at 3:32 pm.
Old May 3rd 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by el_richo
Kate, read the quotes above, paying attention to the highlighted areas, and then give it a rest.

As for my comment on you trying to be something you're not. By that I mean you obviously strive to be an witty intellect but on reading your posts, you're just mediocrity at it's finest, as am I. And y'know, that's ok. Be content with all you have at that given moment, financially, physically, mentally, and intellectually. Who knows, you may even enjoy it. Yes strive for more but don't let your life pass you by while you're looking for it.

Finally, it's ok to lose. It really is.

Now i do hope you stick around because you're entertaining.

Now i need to go for a fry up to sort this hangover out.

A mediocrity, me !!!! I don't think so! I haven't much to go at with this debate really. It's not got that much meat to it. Then, I have to relate things to dear placid Canada because it's a Canada board.

Have you been reading eckhart Tolle about living in the now hahaha ? I do try
It's easier now. I love the summer, it's when all my homesickness goes out the window. I live overlooking a lake, the scenery is always changing, right now, the sun is dancing on the ripples making them glint and shine. The ducks look so contented swimming along warmed by the sun. Can you tell I love ducks? The trees are all coming out in leaf, the birds are singing, flowers are blooming in my garden. I have a kayak and I take it out on the water for hours and hours, floating along and dreaming, ever dreaming, about a perfect world....that can never exist because sometimes it seems that we are slouching ever onward towards Bethlehem.

Enough of that nihilist nonsense.

It's not Ok for me to lose......

Seriously, I'm just having fun....in the real I'm quite polite to people and wouldn't dream of being challenging unless someone shows me they have the brain cells to deal with it. I don't take myself seriously at all, even though my persona appears to. It makes for fun and makes the pompous blow a gasket.

hmmm the little point about going back to the Uk....we would still be comfortable if we stayed. The darling hub could get another job in a heart beat if we moved cities.

I hope that greasy fry up was good ....there should be a barf icon.

I absolutely loved that video of the me firsts and the song was sooo appropriate. I'm going to buy the album.

Now for the rest of you.

I really, really, would love to multiquote It doesn't seem to work.

Hang on
Old May 3rd 2010, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So are you going to answer the following simple questions:

a) Are you a graduate?
b) If the answer to a) is yes, in which subject and when did you graduate?

For example, I graduated in 2000. I hold a LL.B. (Hons). How about you?

Almost Canadian, I would love to tell you, but you have seen the abuse I get and that's ok I just laugh, but once, a real nutter who just didn't get me, also a Kate wannabe... made terrible threats and when it starts to get that far it's not good. I was really scared. So my persona makes it that I have to be careful. if I said where I graduated and what I did for a living...It might make me easy to find. Plus you're a lawyer you know how trustworthy they are!

Last edited by kate 17; May 3rd 2010 at 4:33 pm. Reason: Pedant reading
Old May 3rd 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate 17
...a Kate wannabe...
Oh come on... At least make your replies vaguely plausible
Old May 3rd 2010, 4:36 pm
Magnificently Withering

Almost Canadian, I would love to tell you, but you have seen the abuse I get and that's ok I just laugh, but once, a real nutter who just didn't get me, also a Kate wannabe... made terrible threats and when it starts to get that far it's not good. I was really scared. So my persona makes it that I have to be careful. if I said where I graduated and what I did for a living...It might make me easy to find. Plus you're a lawyer you know how trustworthy they are!
You edited that because there's a pedant reading? I hesitate to imagine what it was like before the edit.
Old May 3rd 2010, 4:43 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

A mediocrity, me !!!! I don't think so! I haven't much to go at with this debate really. It's not got that much meat to it. Then, I have to relate things to dear placid Canada because it's a Canada board.
I'm afraid you are quite mediocre and I would get used to it if I was you. There's no 'meat' to this debate because when people try to engage you they find there is nothing there to engage with.

Have you been reading eckhart Tolle about living in the now hahaha ? I do try
It's easier now. I love the summer, it's when all my homesickness goes out the window. I live overlooking a lake, the scenery is always changing, right now, the sun is dancing on the ripples making them glint and shine. The ducks look so contented swimming along warmed by the sun. Can you tell I love ducks? The trees are all coming out in leaf, the birds are singing, flowers are blooming in my garden. I have a kayak and I take it out on the water for hours and hours, floating along and dreaming, ever dreaming, about a perfect world....that can never exist because sometimes it seems that we are slouching ever onward towards Bethlehem.
Now, kate, are those your own words or did you copy them from somewhere else.

Seriously, I'm just having fun....in the real I'm quite polite to people and wouldn't dream of being challenging unless someone shows me they have the brain cells to deal with it. I don't take myself seriously at all, even though my persona appears to. It makes for fun and makes the pompous blow a gasket.
Your 'i'm a creative free spirit outraging the fuddy duddies' attitude is quite amusing. You do realize that nobody takes any of this shit seriously.
Old May 3rd 2010, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Damn. Once again a weekend of gardening and entertaining small people has kept me from an amusing thread.

Kate, do stick around - if only because it's been fun to watch you tie yourself in knots with self-contradictory arguments and lashings of psychobabble. I can't remember now if it was in this thread or one of your others that you failed to appreciate either that the title of Colin Wilson's piece of crapola was a reference to Albert Camus' novel, or that the Cure's "Killing an Arab" was a reference to the same work - and yet you try and come across as some sort of psychology geek. Not terribly impressive, but amusing nonetheless.

For myself: I have a bachelor's degree; read a number of English newspapers and the BBC online; have been a subscriber to Private Eye since my early 20s; listen to a number of Radio4 shows on the BBC iPlayer - in short, would generally consider myself moderately well educated and intelligent, by your criteria. Despite this, I am happy with my life in Canada and see no cause to pack my bags and run back to the UK.

I didn't move to Canada for financial reasons, although I would be less likely to have pursued the opportunity if it had left me significantly worse off. Like Alan, I do pretty much the same job here for the same company that I did in the UK. Impetus for the move came from the fact that both my wife and I have relatives in Canada; I had no particular ties to Britain as a place (I had no strong roots in any one location, having moved around throughout my childhood and youth), and ties to family are easily kept intact through the wonders of modern communication and occasional trips back and forth. Sure, we were able to buy a bigger property here than we had in London; but we could have achieved more or less the same by moving to Basingstoke.
Oakvillian or is it oakvillan? Well you sound a thoroughly nice guy even though except for Private eye, you are a bit conservative and conformist. I like you anyway.

Lets get to Colin Wilson, he wrote a book called the outsider now I'm not surprised that you misunderstood it with you not sounding like a marginalised person.I didn't have to know that it was based on a Camus novel to still get a lot out of it.

Undoubtedly I will read the Camus novel it sound like I would enjoy it.

I moved around tons as a kid also hence the bad grammar, too many schools
and chopped up lessons.

When your kids are young It's easy to stay in Canada. It's very good for them.
Old May 3rd 2010, 4:52 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

A mediocrity, me !!!! I don't think so! I haven't much to go at with this debate really. It's not got that much meat to it.

But you started the debate.

Have you been reading eckhart Tolle

Nope, never read any of his work

It's not Ok for me to lose......

I'm surprised you're not used to it by now

...wouldn't dream of being challenging unless someone shows me they have the brain cells to deal with it.

So you challenge pretty much anybody over the age of 6 years old?
Above in red, for you.

The fry up was beautiful.

Edited to add: I, and pretty much most others reading this understand that you're trying to have fun and seem intellectually witty. We're having just as much fun proving that you're failing at it.

Keep trying though. One day you'll become a decent master debater.

Last edited by el_richo; May 3rd 2010 at 4:57 pm.
Old May 3rd 2010, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm afraid you are quite mediocre and I would get used to it if I was you. There's no 'meat' to this debate because when people try to engage you they find there is nothing there to engage with.

Now, kate, are those your own words or did you copy them from somewhere else.

Your 'i'm a creative free spirit outraging the fuddy duddies' attitude is quite amusing. You do realize that nobody takes any of this shit seriously.
Those are my own words... I took my time instead of banging out the usual shite

Of course they take it seriously, it's pomposity to the max! funny as anything
Old May 3rd 2010, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

You edited that because there's a pedant reading? I hesitate to imagine what it was like before the edit.
ANIOTHER ONE, aghhhhhh grammar police the bane of my bloody life.
Old May 3rd 2010, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

You believe that a year and a subject of a degree will enable people to locate you? I didn't ask you what you did for a living. I fail to see how stating you have a degree in flower arranging that was obtained in 2006 would lead to anyting other than ridicule.

I don't believe you hold a degree and I will continue to do so until you prove otherwise.
Old May 3rd 2010, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
Above in red, for you.

The fry up was beautiful.

Edited to add: I, and pretty much most others reading this understand that you're trying to have fun and seem intellectually witty. We're having just as much fun proving that you're failing at it.

Keep trying though. One day you'll become a decent master debater.
Haahahaahahha love it

I wrote my little lake Canada thing for you, because I felt so bad putting you
off this (outside the cities) lovely land.

I'll have to get more of a Prime rib roasting for another debate!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.